As many as 7 new RF lenses coming in 2019 [CR2]

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
All RF lenses, no EF lenses in 2019 sounds like a correct move for Canon. Right now, the EOS R is really only for Canon users with plenty of EF glass to adapt. No one outside of the Canon ecosystem is going to look at jumping into EOS R if they're after a mirrorless system. Getting the EOS R out last summer was certainly a good way to help prevent all the hemmoraging of customers over to Sony. But they need another two bodies (one entry level, one true professional model) and lots of glass, to bring the system around to where a new adopter would be happy without needing to go back to EF glass. Nikon is going to have the same thought process with the Z System.

And of course, low activity on EF or F mount cameras is likely to have existing customers feel, well, sort of like Sony's A-mount customers did while Sony was spending nearly all their time on E/FE-Mount stuff. It will be interesting how they negotiate the two systems, or really in Canon's case, four different EOS mounts.

A difference is that all the EF and EF-S lenses work 100% and better on the R camera(s) especially with the Control Adapter. All other brands changing mounts to mirror-less cannot make that claim with Nikon being the absolute worst with all AF lenses being dumped from working now. That is huge. I see the M series as its own world and applaud Canon for keeping it as it does provide a platform for development of very small light ILC system products for hikers and the like.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
The DSLR has quite some time left...certainly more than you are implying.

For Jan-Oct 2018, 62% of all ILCs shipped were DSLRs. Compared to the same period in 2017, DSLR sales dropped ~10%...and MILC sales were completely flat, no increase at all in MILC shipments year-over-year. For those claiming that MILCs are a growth market, that’s a real facepalm.

pB43k.jpg

Mirror-less was flat due to Canon and Nikon not having FF mirror-less yet. You know the M series Canon are hot sellers. With Canon and Nikon now on board the mirror-less sales will rise again, how much? Who knows? Especially with cell phones taking the low end user out of the market who don't care about quality. Sort of like SLRs in the Instamatic camera era where Instamatics way outsold SLRs the whole time.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I see the M series as its own world and applaud Canon for keeping it as it does provide a platform for development of very small light ILC system products for hikers and the like.
You are implying that the EOS M line is more of a niche product, but in reality I suspect the M line will strongly outsell the R line, just as for close to a decade and a half, APS-C DSLRs have outsold FF DSLRs. The only way the EOS R will take over is if they include APS-C sensors into the R lineup.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Mirror-less was flat due to Canon and Nikon not having FF mirror-less yet. You know the M series Canon are hot sellers. With Canon and Nikon now on board the mirror-less sales will rise again, how much? Who knows? Especially with cell phones taking the low end user out of the market who don't care about quality. Sort of like SLRs in the Instamatic camera era where Instamatics way outsold SLRs the whole time.
Actually, instamatics (Fuji Instax mini, etc.) still resoundingly outsell digital cameras. As for MILC sales rising strongly, we’ll see. The M series are hot sellers, and APS-C DSLRs remain even hotter, because APS-C cameras are cheaper. FF MILCs from Canon/Nikon at >$2K are not likely to have much of an effect on overall sales numbers (although they will likely increase the overall value of cameras sold).

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
You are implying that the EOS M line is more of a niche product, but in reality I suspect the M line will strongly outsell the R line, just as for close to a decade and a half, APS-C DSLRs have outsold FF DSLRs. The only way the EOS R will take over is if they include APS-C sensors into the R lineup.

I imagine the APSC will be in the R line-up unless they make a FF in the 500.00 range. M will be niche seeing as R and M are not compatible at all and no path from M to R is possible. Unless Canon is just plain stupid they will need APSC R and even the current R works with APSC lenses now so that sounds like R APSC lenses and body are in the future. But who knows.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Actually, instamatics (Fuji Instax mini, etc.) still resoundingly outsell digital cameras. As for MILC sales rising strongly, we’ll see. The M series are hot sellers, and APS-C DSLRs remain even hotter, because APS-C cameras are cheaper. FF MILCs from Canon/Nikon at >$2K are not likely to have much of an effect on overall sales numbers (although they will likely increase the overall value of cameras sold).

I am sure the Instax sell well but not even on the same planet as cell phone sales.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Please Canon, make a competitive camera in 2019
New BSI sensor
Full frame 4K with no catches
Dual Card Slots
IBIS
£2000

Unless Canon give us an EOS R that's competitive to Sony and Panasonic offering, I'm hesistate to commit to RF lens.

Don’t hold your breath. Canon is already making a competitive FF MILC, from their viewpoint and from an objective viewpoint. The difference is that you define ‘competitive’ as having a spec sheet that matches others’ or as having features that you personally want, whereas Canon defines competitive as selling more cameras (and by that metric Sony, Nikon and Panasonic are now the ones worrying about being competitive).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
How would you do that?

If you are referring to adapting RF lenses for existing Canon DSLRs, I am not an engineer. I would never presume to know how to design a particular adapter. But, I can certainly see the need for such an adapter and expect that Canon's design team would be working on one. I imagine some of the self-proclaimed experts on this forum may claim it is impossible. I will wait and see what Canon and third party manufacturers do.

I see the lack of complete interchangeability between Canon's two full-frame systems as a major disadvantage. On the other hand, not being an engineer, I also have no idea as to the relative cost of manufacturing two separate sets of full frame lenses. If the costs are marginal, we may see Canon producing parallel EF and RF lenses for decades. Possibly, they will even pull a "Sigma" and offer low cost mount conversions in the future.

I am certain that Canon understands the risks and downsides of having two separate full-frame mounts and is working feverishly to find a solution that will not alienate its customer base, as I have never considered them stupid.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If you are referring to adapting RF lenses for existing Canon DSLRs, I am not an engineer. I would never presume to know how to design a particular adapter. But, I can certainly see the need for such an adapter and expect that Canon's design team would be working on one. I imagine some of the self-proclaimed experts on this forum may claim it is impossible. I will wait and see what Canon and third party manufacturers do.

I see the lack of complete interchangeability between Canon's two full-frame systems as a major disadvantage. On the other hand, not being an engineer, I also have no idea as to the relative cost of manufacturing two separate sets of full frame lenses. If the costs are marginal, we may see Canon producing parallel EF and RF lenses for decades. Possibly, they will even pull a "Sigma" and offer low cost mount conversions in the future.

I am certain that Canon understands the risks and downsides of having two separate full-frame mounts and is working feverishly to find a solution that will not alienate its customer base, as I have never considered them stupid.
It’s certainly possible to create an adapter for RF lenses to be mounted on DSLRs. However, such an adapter would require optical components, as did the FD-to-EOS adapter (which was produced in limited quantities and was not ever very popular). So while Canon could make such an adapter, I highly doubt they ever will.

There really isn’t a difference in the ‘relative cost of manufacturing two separate sets of full frame lenses’, as the cost of doing so can easily be built into the selling price of the lenses (and I suspect, already is).

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Don’t hold your breath. Canon is already making a competitive FF MILC, from their viewpoint and from an objective viewpoint. The difference is that you define ‘competitive’ as having a spec sheet that matches others’ or as having features that you personally want, whereas Canon defines competitive as selling more cameras (and by that metric Sony, Nikon and Panasonic are now the ones worrying about being competitive).

I agree that Canon is already making a "competitive" MILC in comparison to other brands. But I would add/concede that it doesn't appear to be truly competitive with its top end DSLRs. What we do not know and cannot know at this point is whether the RF system will eventually be capable of replacing Canon's own full frame DSLRs.

I imagine you would agree that Canon has no vested interest in any particular format, but instead has a vested interest in remaining the world leader in the marketplace. Some people seem to believe that Canon has a vested interest in promoting a particular format. I think you and I believe they care only about format in so far as it affects profitability and sales.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I agree that Canon is already making a "competitive" MILC in comparison to other brands. But I would add/concede that it doesn't appear to be truly competitive with its top end DSLRs. What we do not know and cannot know at this point is whether the RF system will eventually be capable of replacing Canon's own full frame DSLRs.

I imagine you would agree that Canon has no vested interest in any particular format, but instead has a vested interest in remaining the world leader in the marketplace. Some people seem to believe that Canon has a vested interest in promoting a particular format. I think you and I believe they care only about format in so far as it affects profitability and sales.
Definitely agree. The EOS R sits in 6-series DSLR territory, based on feature set and price. Canon themselves have said MILCs aren’t yet ready for full professional use. Time will tell. Certainly as long as people are buying ILCs with a Canon name plate, Canon doesn’t care whether or not the camera has a mirror.

Upvote 0
"entry-level EOS R body " - could it be even more entry level? What would you leave, to make it an entry level? Is it possible for Canon to introduce new lower megapixel sensor with slightly better characteristics, than the recent one, having first IBIS implementation, etc., and still keep ppl buying recent EOR R?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...There really isn’t a difference in the ‘relative cost of manufacturing two separate sets of full frame lenses’, as the cost of doing so can easily be built into the selling price of the lenses (and I suspect, already is).

Good point, given that the prices of the RF and EF 24-105 f4 lenses are identical.

Upvote 0

That's why I have one foot half way out the door and evaluating what's best for me. 3/4 of my EF lens are from Sigma/Tamron so it isn't difficult to adapt and switch to what ever is best. 24-70 2.8 II is my only L lens.

I returned my EOS R and waiting for the next generation of FF mirrorless from Canon, Sony, Panasonic before commiting to a lens mount.

EOS R is a fine camera and so are the RF lens, such as 28-70 F2, but it's too expensive and not enough to warrant upgrade over my 5D IV.

Upvote 0
"entry-level EOS R body " - could it be even more entry level? What would you left, to make it an entry level? Is it possible for Canon to introduce new lower megapixel sensor with slightly better characteristics, than the recent one, having first IBIS implementation, etc., and still keep ppl buying recent EOR R?

No multi functional bar, lower EVF, 6D II sensor, no 10 bit 4K or articulate LCD screen - $1500

If they release something like that in 2019, they definitely deserve to get laugh at.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The DSLR has quite some time left...certainly more than you are implying.

For Jan-Oct 2018, 62% of all ILCs shipped were DSLRs. Compared to the same period in 2017, DSLR sales dropped ~10%...and MILC sales were completely flat, no increase at all in MILC shipments year-over-year. For those claiming that MILCs are a growth market, that’s a real facepalm.

Canon and Nikon are going to push mirrorless until the 'DSLR is dead!' prophecy fulfills itself. It's an opportunity to try and further differentiate themselves to take a larger slice of a shrinking pie (total ILC sales) while also putting pressure on existing customers to upgrade.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That's why I have one foot half way out the door and evaluating what's best for me. 3/4 of my EF lens are from Sigma/Tamron so it isn't difficult to adapt and switch to what ever is best. 24-70 2.8 II is my only L lens.

I returned my EOS R and waiting for the next generation of FF mirrorless from Canon, Sony, Panasonic before commiting to a lens mount.

EOS R is a fine camera and so are the RF lens, such as 28-70 F2, but it's too expensive and not enough to warrant upgrade over my 5D IV.
It's not an upgrade over a 5DIV. The R is an upgrade from a 6DII.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0