As many as 7 new RF lenses coming in 2019 [CR2]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It seems that you have more experience with the RX10 IV camera and I appreciate your thoughts on it. I had it for less than a week and had no time to truly test its features. Because of no external charger provided, I had to charge one battery at a time in camera via USB. I had to leave the power on because of on/off time was quite long and it chewed through the battery quite fast. From my limited experience, diffraction at f/8 or even f/5.6 was giving me quite soft pictures. Your example birds seem to fly left to right and not towards you. Perhaps because of positioning, I could get only a handful of shots in focus when the creatures were coming towards me, because the AF was locked during zoom in/out. Focus speed was very good only when leaving it at a fixed focal length. At the end of the day, my wife with her M3 in green mode could get better shots and more of them in focus than me!
I have an M5 and find the Sony far, far superior for AF. Point the Sony RX10 IV at a bird or a dragonfly perched, and the AF detects the subject, the little green focussing squares dance around it and if the bird hops around, the AF locks on to it and retains focus. For BIF, there is no comparison, with the Sony locking on far faster and tracking so much better. The M5 is excellent for scenes, portraits etc and is much better in poor light but not for action.
Cameras that don’t have interchangeable lenses have copy variation of the lens just do copies of interchangeable lenses and I bought my Sony after carefully testing it in the store, which also had a 30 day return policy. An earlier copy had to be returned because it was soft.
Regarding BIF, I tend to take photos of birds going across the frame with all the cameras I use as, apart from owls, birds tend to look better in profile or at angle towards you rather than straight at you. You can’t zoom the Sony during a burst in continuous AF, you have to take your finger off the button and you can zoom. This is more problematic for video rather than stills.

A 1" sensor has a crop factor of 2.7, which means that f/8 which you used, has a depth of field equivalent to f/22. My 5DSR would be seriously diffraction softened at f/22 and I try to use it at f/5.6 or wider. Sony put an f/2.4 to f/4 lens on the RX10 IV camera which is sharp wide open and within the diffraction limits, and the lens should be used wide open.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you are referring to adapting RF lenses for existing Canon DSLRs, I am not an engineer. I would never presume to know how to design a particular adapter. But, I can certainly see the need for such an adapter and expect that Canon's design team would be working on one. I imagine some of the self-proclaimed experts on this forum may claim it is impossible. I will wait and see what Canon and third party manufacturers do.

I see the lack of complete interchangeability between Canon's two full-frame systems as a major disadvantage. On the other hand, not being an engineer, I also have no idea as to the relative cost of manufacturing two separate sets of full frame lenses. If the costs are marginal, we may see Canon producing parallel EF and RF lenses for decades. Possibly, they will even pull a "Sigma" and offer low cost mount conversions in the future.

I am certain that Canon understands the risks and downsides of having two separate full-frame mounts and is working feverishly to find a solution that will not alienate its customer base, as I have never considered them stupid.

ahaha you are funny :'D

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Late to the party, but wowza, that's an ambitious launch schedule. Should they actually manage to launch all of those lenses in the next 12 months, and a total of 15 or whatever in the next 36, Canon will have a decent lens portfolio pretty that includes all of the "gotta have moneymaker lenses". They just need a couple of really standout camera bodies -- even if they're stupidly expensive -- to shine.

But what I'd really like to see are some f/4 IS's in addition to the 2.8 and wider lenses. I'd love to have some of the lenses both cheaper and smaller, and there are a FL's where I just don't prioritize bokeh/separation, or am happy to switch to a prime to get it.

And of course, I would really like to see a native RF xxx-600mm f/5.6-ish that is optically decent, weather sealed, and that I can afford :D:D:D

Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013
For me, as a 5DSR owner and a couple of EF and manual Zeiss lenses, I don't really see me investing in Canon gear for the forseable future. No new EF lenses announced, no new DSLRs announced. R lenses coming in 2019, which I can't use, EOS-R body, that doesn't appeal to me and offers me more than my DSRL, even in 2019. If they had put out a pro-R-body first, I could have used my old lenses, but that didn't happen.
No signs that the EF line will be alive in the future, no roadmap, no announcments. Just a big question mark...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
No new EF lenses announced, no new DSLRs announced...
No signs that the EF line will be alive in the future, no roadmap, no announcments. Just a big question mark...

Now, now. Just because a couple has reached an age, or has decided not to have new babies, we don't say their life is over, do we? Many remain very active in retirement and enjoying grandbabies. ;)

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Mike, as you know, I am a Canon shooter, but I do appreciate good gear from other manufacturers, and the RX10 IV is remarkable. Ken Rockwell is addicted to his RX10 IV - just read https://kenrockwell.com/sony/rx10-iv.htm It's quite wrong to rubbish it.

KR states in his review that the RX10 IV is good for "paparazzi, surveillance, law enforcement, code compliance, girl watchers" :cool:

Putting irony aside, this Sony seems to be a very capable package. It also shows that bridge cameras aren't dead but still very attractive, if one wants a versatile, light gear with a huge tele range. If once my back will be too old to carry around 10-15 kilograms of tele gear, I gonna switch to such a bridge camera for birding. Could well be a Sony, if it'll beat then comparable products from Canon, Fuji or Nikon. For me, a camera is a technical tool, not a label I personally identify myself with.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Looking at this list I wonder whether Canon will really come up with a RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS like lens. Wouldn't that cannibalize sales of their new RF 28-70mm f/2 lens? Given the price level of actual EF 24-70 f/2.8 lenses, they wouldn't play exactly in the same league, of course, but close enough for sales interferences. On the other hand, a cheaper RF 24-70mm f/4 lens wouldn't make too much sense because the new 24-105mm RF kit lens seems to be very good and much more versatile. Interesting to watch which new RF lenses Canon will finally give a real go.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I’d be curious if the total Canon DSLRs and Mirrorless what % of those will be Eos-R at the end of 2019. An Eos-R lens is of no use to someone like me who isn’t going to buy the first EOS-R.
This would mean I’m unlikely to buy a Canon lens in 2019 (unless I buy an existing one - which is unlikely).
It’s admirable they are taking a longer term view but short term it might reduce lens sales. Poor short term results can get people nervous especially senior management.
Canon would need new Eos-R cameras to support the new lens and make it more compelling.

Upvote 0
I wonder if Canon invested years of development and testing to new lenses like EF 24-70 IS, new 50 and maybe even promised affordable super-telephoto lens they will just cancel them? I assume at least first two must be in very advanced stage and could be released anytime. They may not be top in class but after all those years they will not be bad either. So why not to just start selling what they have and capitalize on all those years of development which was already done?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
We are in an information vacuum at present, and that will inhibit lots of us from buying until we know what is happening. A good affordable long lightweight telephoto and a capable high resolution body with top class tracking would tempt me. Until, then my current Canon gear is sufficiently good to keep me happy.

Upvote 0
Don’t hold your breath. Canon is already making a competitive FF MILC, from their viewpoint and from an objective viewpoint. The difference is that you define ‘competitive’ as having a spec sheet that matches others’ or as having features that you personally want, whereas Canon defines competitive as selling more cameras (and by that metric Sony, Nikon and Panasonic are now the ones worrying about being competitive).
No they really dont ! I want usable 120fps and something that can shoot videos that has good value. Now with the R there’s absolutely no value upgrading from the M50.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
Yes, it's definitely a nightmare situation to take a lens designed to be a certain distance from the sensor, and put some sort of adapter behind it that allows the lens to be further away from the sensor and still focus on the sensor.

A really horrible nightmare situation.

One I'm forced to live through every time I use a teleconverter.

Oh yes, it's now 2019, the year we takes words for their literal meaning and not their obvious implication. Do go on.

Upvote 0
Guys, you're the experts here and I need advice: should I buy EOR R with kit RF 24-105mm f/4 and fix 50mm f/1.2 now or wait for EOS R Pro?

At present I have Canon 450 with Canon 50mm f/1.4 and Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. I've had this setup for about 12 years and was looking to upgrade since year 1. First, I wanted better ISO performance from the camera, then better lenses, then both. At present, I want to invest around £5k into a future-proof system that would provide solid performance for another 10 years.

I am looking to shoot family & friends' portraits, trips, possibly some landscape and night photography.

I have no interest in video, well, at least I am not concerned about crop factors / etc and I do not like flash: built-in option never worked & I am not setting-up full rig. For that reason I always wanted fast lenses.

Should I wait for EOS R Pro?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Guys, you're the experts here and I need advice: should I buy EOR R with kit RF 24-105mm f/4 and fix 50mm f/1.2 now or wait for EOS R Pro?

At present I have Canon 450 with Canon 50mm f/1.4 and Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. I've had this setup for about 12 years and was looking to upgrade since year 1. First, I wanted better ISO performance from the camera, then better lenses, then both. At present, I want to invest around £5k into a future-proof system that would provide solid performance for another 10 years.

I am looking to shoot family & friends' portraits, trips, possibly some landscape and night photography.

I have no interest in video, well, at least I am not concerned about crop factors / etc and I do not like flash: built-in option never worked & I am not setting-up full rig. For that reason I always wanted fast lenses.

Should I wait for EOS R Pro?

Thanks!
Do yourself a favour and buy the camera. Eos R is a great camera.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
No they really dont ! I want usable 120fps and something that can shoot videos that has good value. Now with the R there’s absolutely no value upgrading from the M50.
Is this AvTvMm, full stop, mirage, 4fun, or proutprout? The reasoning (?), logic (?), thinking (?) sounds familiar... already.

Upvote 0