As many as 7 new RF lenses coming in 2019 [CR2]

YUP! I think I just might have a teensy, tiny, bit better insight as to what's coming down the pipeline than you do !!!

No, you just have a more active imagination, to put it politely. But you have answered my question, obliquely - there is no reason why now is different, as the only "evidence" you have is fantasy.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Service is one thing, bringing out new and improved lenses or bodies another. For over two decades the path was clear and one could happliy buy into the system, assured that there is one system. That was kind of a guarantee, which made this a very safe home.

But that's not actually true - we had no guarantees Canon wouldn't bring out a new system at any point in the past few years, indeed plenty of people were predicting a new FF system, with no consensus on whether it would be EF or something new. Now we have a better understanding of their plans than we did before, because the new mount is out there. You can *still* buy into the system - as others have said here numerous times, EF lenses work fine on RF bodies. And service will continue on EF lenses for years to come - I don't see that being impacted by the introduction of RF at all. All lenses' service lifetimes are finite.

As I said, in my opinion some EF-lenses need improvement, which won't likely happen anymore.

We don't know yet either way.

The resale values of older lenses will drop, if better alternatives exist in native glass.

It will drop as it always has when a new version of a lens is released, but it never falls off a cliff. Look at e.g. the relative secondhand prices of each version of Canon supertelephoto lenses - the older ones are still expensive.

Another choice I am confronted now is to stay with canon (not likely with the EOS R), or switch to another system all together, since buying another body is a given fact someday. Canon may bring something to the table, but judging from the latest releases, I am not convinced that they will or are able to. EOS R is not for me, too many things that annoyed me (ergonomics, not working features) during my tests with it. If they would have done it differently, I would not question this at all.

I think you're being premature. Unless you have some compelling reason to make a change now, why is it urgent? Your current gear still performs as it did. Judging a line based on its first iteration is frankly silly - look at how the M line has matured, and indeed compare the current Sony bodies with their earlier versions.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
---

You'll see it soon enough.... but I will give you a hint ... Ap??? !!!

To put it mildly, WHAT OTHER COMPANY could have afforded to buy me a Bell 429 ???

...and I actually GOT PERMISSION to leak that word noted above in that particular manner, which is NOT a normal thing for them to do ... which shows you JUST HOW IMPORTANT this new type of CODEC and advanced CMOS SENSOR technology really is !!!! --- AND....there is a heck of a LOT MORE COMING DOWN THE PIPELINE with this technology!!!
In September, there will be a DELUGE of NEW products to make consumers drool! AND YES! I got permission to say this too!

Glad to see you've gotten a fresh supply of hallucinogens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Oh, and for those who suggested that the rumored bolus of RF lenses coming this year means EF is being abandoned, here’s what Canon had to say in an interview with Imaging Resource:

Yes, we are very serious about mirrorless. But please do not get the wrong impression, we will continue to enhance DSLR technology and products as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I am very eagerly looking forward for a Canon RF12-35mm f2.8 L IS USM lens with non bulbous feature which is really advantageous for using many types of filters with that kind of lens. To me a RF 15 mm super wide is not a big achievement for Canon as we have been hearing that a super wide will be wider than 16mm. 1MM WIDER? funny enough.
Holly trinity as mentioned may a tempting offer but if it’s a good trinity like
RF12-35 mm f2.8L IS USM,
RF24-70 mm f2.8L IS USM,
RF70-200mm f2.8L IS USM. lenses could be a really holly trinity.
Again a 24-240 mm lens could be a very good choice if it was f2.8-4L IS USM or f4L IS USM single apurture lense.
RF200-600mm f4-5.6L IS USM lens is another major lens.
I don’t know how many of you agree with these thoughts of mine but to me all this is perfectly possible for Canon with RF System as this mount size and flags distance has opened many new possibilities.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Oh, and for those who suggested that the rumored bolus of RF lenses coming this year means EF is being abandoned, here’s what Canon had to say in an interview with Imaging Resource:
Also, as we enter the year 2019 Canon has 70+ EF lenses in production and 4 RF lenses.... I know where I would concentrate this year.....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I am very eagerly looking forward for a Canon RF12-35mm f2.8 L IS USM lens with non bulbous feature which is really advantageous for using many types of filters with that kind of lens. To me a RF 15 mm super wide is not a big achievement for Canon as we have been hearing that a super wide will be wider than 16mm. 1MM WIDER? funny enough.
Holly trinity as mentioned may a tempting offer but if it’s a good trinity like
RF12-35 mm f2.8L IS USM,
RF24-70 mm f2.8L IS USM,
RF70-200mm f2.8L IS USM. lenses could be a really holly trinity.
Again a 24-240 mm lens could be a very good choice if it was f2.8-4L IS USM or f4L IS USM single apurture lense.
RF200-600mm f4-5.6L IS USM lens is another major lens.
I don’t know how many of you agree with these thoughts of mine but to me all this is perfectly possible for Canon with RF System as this mount size and flags distance has opened many new possibilities.

Is it practical to design a non-bulbous rectilinear f/2.8 lens at 12mm? Nikon now has the widest at 14mm but that is at f/4. It probably makes more sense if Canon keeps the weight down for the reported 15-35 and then comes out with something in the RF line that takes the place of the 11-24. Maybe that will get to 10mm or wider, but I don't see it being combined with a zoom range that ends at 35mm while being front filterable.

Upvote 0
---

To put it mildly, WHAT OTHER COMPANY could have afforded to buy me a Bell 429 ???

...and I actually GOT PERMISSION to leak that word noted above in that particular manner, which is NOT a normal thing for them to do ... which shows you JUST HOW IMPORTANT this new type of CODEC and advanced CMOS SENSOR technology really is !!!! --- AND....there is a heck of a LOT MORE COMING DOWN THE PIPELINE with this technology!!!
In September, there will be a DELUGE of NEW products to make consumers drool! AND YES! I got permission to say this too!
I get it. Ap??? = Apple!!! A new iPhone camera. Wow

Upvote 0
---
There is only one word that matches it "Appal"
Which is synonym to: horrify, shock, alarm, frighten, scare, terrify, outrage, disgust, dishearten, revolt, intimidate, dismay, daunt, sicken, astound, harrow, unnerve, petrify, scandalize. (Collins Thesaurus of the English Language)

Upvote 0
There is only one word that matches it "Appal"
Which is synonym to: horrify, shock, alarm, frighten, scare, terrify, outrage, disgust, dishearten, revolt, intimidate, dismay, daunt, sicken, astound, harrow, unnerve, petrify, scandalize. (Collins Thesaurus of the English Language)
Very Good vocabulary. God bless you.

Upvote 0