Bag Recommendations

fragilesi

EOS RP
Sep 2, 2013
468
1
I've just been lucky enough to receive the new 100-400 lens for my birthday. Yay! Unfortnately it's just a bit too big for my existing bag. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good shoulder bag or backpack given I would be carrying:-

- One 70D body, normally attached to the 100-400 Mk II lens.
- One or two other smaller lenses, normally the 24-70 2.8 MkI L lens and the EFS 11-22 lens but possibly also the 135 F2 or other smaller lenses.
- A few of the normal extras like cards, small cleaning items, spare battery etc.

Emphasis on protection and freedom of movement if I am wearing it but still want to shoot.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.
 

Luds34

EOS R
May 15, 2014
918
0
I realize you are looking for something to carry more of a complete kit. However, I am going to recommend a case I use for when I just need to run out the door with one of my longer lenses.

It's this Ape Case (Large)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KY5YYO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

For 40 bucks it's almost a no brainer for one to add to their bag collection. I use it with a Tamron 150-600, camera attached, however I need to reverse the hood. Otherwise it works great with a 70-200 with hood in place. In fact I used it just a week ago to do that configuration to shoot some kid dance shots. The bag has a nice strap and is relatively compact (sure it's quite long) and sits on the shoulder nicely.
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
24,813
2,505
Luds34 said:
I realize you are looking for something to carry more of a complete kit. However, I am going to recommend a case I use for when I just need to run out the door with one of my longer lenses.

Nice case! For that purpose, I use Lowepro Toploader Pro cases (I have all three sizes) which accomodate a gripped body and attached lens, and allow attachment of another lens/flash case to the outside. Sometimes I use the longest case (75AW) with an attached standard zoom and another standard lens (e.g. 85L) tucked in the bottom with a divider between.
 

unfocused

EOS-1D X Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
5,916
3,126
67
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
May not be what you are looking for, but wanted to call your attention to this:

A few months ago I picked up a Lowepro Nova Sport 35 L from Adorama on a closeout. http://www.adorama.com/LPNS35LGY.html?emailprice=t&sub=cpw-37168468&hotlink=t&svfor=5m&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62259

For $20 I figured I couldn't go wrong (at the time there was actually an additional rebate). It's turned out to be one of the best bags I've ever purchased (and I've bought a LOT of bags in my time). It's a shoulder bag, so it is not good for hiking, but if you want a quality, all purpose bag that can be easily reconfigured it's really an incredible buy.

It's tall enough that the 100-400 II fits in it vertically (unmounted) and could fit horizontally if mounted.
 

neonlight

EOS 90D
Jul 10, 2015
135
16
Hi
I've used a Lowepro Flipside 400AW for the last three years I've had a 100-400 (Mk1). It's been great. Now has 580 flash, EFS10-22, 2x III and 100 f/2.8L macro, with 600D and 18-135 too. Gets heavy. When a strap broke (minor one) Lowepro replaced FOC. Recommended.
 
I bought myself a new bag a couple of weeks ago, got a lowpro BP250AW, which feels slightly tardis like.. officially a bag for mirrorless but it copes well with my 6D & it's hotshoe, but wouldn't handle a grip as well.

https://www.lowepro.co.uk/brands/lowepro/protactic/protactic-bp-250-aw/pd357/

I wanted soemthing that could handle a 70-200 or slightly longer as well as all my current kit.

Not saying this is what you should get, just saying I'm quite impressed..
 

fragilesi

EOS RP
Sep 2, 2013
468
1
neuroanatomist said:
For that set of gear, my LowePro Flipside 300 would be a perfect fit.

Excellent, I'll pm you my address and you can post it, thanks ;D

More seriously thanks that range looks very good. The 300 would definitely take the lens / camera combo attached?
 

fragilesi

EOS RP
Sep 2, 2013
468
1
Luds34 said:
I realize you are looking for something to carry more of a complete kit. However, I am going to recommend a case I use for when I just need to run out the door with one of my longer lenses.

It's this Ape Case (Large)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KY5YYO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Thanks, that does look good but I tend to either go "loaded" or not at all. Which is probably silly because the majority of times I don't change lenses but it's always nice to have the options.
 

fragilesi

EOS RP
Sep 2, 2013
468
1
unfocused said:
May not be what you are looking for, but wanted to call your attention to this:

A few months ago I picked up a Lowepro Nova Sport 35 L from Adorama on a closeout. http://www.adorama.com/LPNS35LGY.html?emailprice=t&sub=cpw-37168468&hotlink=t&svfor=5m&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62259

Thanks as above I appreciate the suggestion but it's not what I am really after. That said, if that offer was available here in England I'd be tempted to get that as well.
 

fragilesi

EOS RP
Sep 2, 2013
468
1
neonlight said:
Hi
I've used a Lowepro Flipside 400AW for the last three years I've had a 100-400 (Mk1). It's been great. Now has 580 flash, EFS10-22, 2x III and 100 f/2.8L macro, with 600D and 18-135 too. Gets heavy. When a strap broke (minor one) Lowepro replaced FOC. Recommended.

That range does look a good fit for me . . . thanks! Really useful to know that they back it up with good after-sales care too.
 

fragilesi

EOS RP
Sep 2, 2013
468
1
rfdesigner said:
I bought myself a new bag a couple of weeks ago, got a lowpro BP250AW, which feels slightly tardis like.. officially a bag for mirrorless but it copes well with my 6D & it's hotshoe, but wouldn't handle a grip as well.

https://www.lowepro.co.uk/brands/lowepro/protactic/protactic-bp-250-aw/pd357/

I wanted soemthing that could handle a 70-200 or slightly longer as well as all my current kit.

Not saying this is what you should get, just saying I'm quite impressed..

Also very nice . . . looks like lowepro are the name to look out for! Thanks.
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
24,813
2,505
fragilesi said:
More seriously thanks that range looks very good. The 300 would definitely take the lens / camera combo attached?

Definitely - it held my 1D X with 100-400 (MkI) before I sold that lens, and it holds my 1D X with the 70-200/2.8 II mounted, which is actually a bit longer than the 100-400 lenses. A typical load for me in that pack is either:

• 1D X with 70-200 II mounted; 24-70/2.8 II and Rokinon 14/2.8, with a 600 EX in the top pouch
-or-
• 1D X with 24-70/2.8 II mounted; TS-E 17, TS-E 24 and 70-300L

In both cases, lens cleaning supplies in the zip pocket, a tripod (RRS TQC-14+ BH-30 LR) strapped on, and a water bottle in the side mesh holder.

I also have the Flipside 400 AW, and that holds the 1D X with 1 big white zoom (100-400/70-200 II/28-300/etc.) and 4-5 standard/black lenses, or 1D X with two big white zooms and 2-3 standard/black lenses.
 
fragilesi said:
rfdesigner said:
I bought myself a new bag a couple of weeks ago, got a lowpro BP250AW, which feels slightly tardis like.. officially a bag for mirrorless but it copes well with my 6D & it's hotshoe, but wouldn't handle a grip as well.

https://www.lowepro.co.uk/brands/lowepro/protactic/protactic-bp-250-aw/pd357/

I wanted soemthing that could handle a 70-200 or slightly longer as well as all my current kit.

Not saying this is what you should get, just saying I'm quite impressed..

Also very nice . . . looks like lowepro are the name to look out for! Thanks.

You could try.

http://www.lowepro.com/bagfinder
 

Houndog

I'm New Here
Jun 15, 2013
15
0
I have a 100-400 II and 70D. I pack the lens in the case Canon provided and put it and my camera bag into a "school-type" backpack until I am ready to shoot. When not ready to shoot, I take the lens off the camera, attach caps, and put it into the Canon-provided bag.

I would be nervous packing it into much less than a form-fitted foam enclosure that could support the body and lens.
 

old-pr-pix

EOS RP
Dec 26, 2011
425
64
Another LowePro alternative... I have the Flipside Sport 15L. My present load is 60D w/grip and tripod plate, mounted 100-400LMk1, 2 - 430EX flash, 100L macro, and 24-105L. I can easily exchange one 430 flash for another prime or my 15-85 zoom. Going up a size to the 20L would allow room for jacket, etc.

I think the waist belt is superior on the Flipside 300 neuro suggested, but I prefer the zipper opening to be against my back and not where it can snag on something (or someone can open it behind me). Also the Sport series has more of a cover flap over the outboard tripod, again less exposed to snag on something. YMMV.
 

slclick

Unsolicited & Always Free
Dec 17, 2013
4,452
2,688
old-pr-pix said:
Another LowePro alternative... I have the Flipside Sport 15L. My present load is 60D w/grip and tripod plate, mounted 100-400LMk1, 2 - 430EX flash, 100L macro, and 24-105L. I can easily exchange one 430 flash for another prime or my 15-85 zoom. Going up a size to the 20L would allow room for jacket, etc.

I think the waist belt is superior on the Flipside 300 neuro suggested, but I prefer the zipper opening to be against my back and not where it can snag on something (or someone can open it behind me). Also the Sport series has more of a cover flap over the outboard tripod, again less exposed to snag on something. YMMV.

I have the 15 Flipside Sport AW as well (one of many bags) I love it for so many reason not too mention it having a 1L bladder to sip from...but it does have a few minuses for me. If you arrange for the mounted lens padding to be centered down the bag's middle it leaves little room for anything on the sides of the lens. Because of this I usually have it configured to place the body in off to one side, thus leaving room for other lenses etc to the side of the mounted glass. The other thing is the chest strap, it's sliding mounts on both sides are too weak to allow for any flex on the strap when buckled.

I have ended up using my ProTactic 350 far more often even though I can't drink from it nor slide it around to create a waist level work station. No, if they can make a ProTactic quality Flipside, I'd be in heaven.
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
24,813
2,505
old-pr-pix said:
I think the waist belt is superior on the Flipside 300 neuro suggested, but I prefer the zipper opening to be against my back and not where it can snag on something (or someone can open it behind me).

Just to clarify: the hallmark of the Flipside series is that the main compartment opens on the flip-side (thus the name ;) ), i.e. the side against your back. AFAIK, every Flipside is like that (I know the Flipside 300 and 400AW are). That's one reason I prefer them – security, but also if you do lay it down to open the main compartment, the side that rests on the dirty ground is not the side that goes against your clothes!

Regarding the hip belt, I sincerely hope it's not better on the Flipside 300, since it's just a nylon web strap with a buckle, no padding at all, so about the only thing worse would be complete absence! The 400AW has a much nicer padded hip belt like that found on a proper hiking (internal frame) backpack.
 

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
1,058
176
FWIW:

Shoulder bags: I have a TT Retrospective 7 (the most comfortable shoulder bag I have ever used) and can put the 5Diii with a mounted 24-70 or 24-105 and a 17-40 or 16-35 f/4 and a third lens like a 70-200 f/4 IS in it. If I want to carry a bigger load on my shoulder, I also have a TT Citywalker. Can hold even more if your shoulder can handle it. I'd recommend both or either of these.

Backpack: I have a Guru Gear Kiboko 22. Got it for a great price last summer when it went on sale. It is a great backpack and holds a ton of stuff and is very customize-able. But, I don't really use it much and have not figured out just how to optimize it. Like everyone else, I am constantly looking at options. I just donated a bunch of old bags (too small for my present kit and just taking up space). Still looking for that "magic" backpack.
 

old-pr-pix

EOS RP
Dec 26, 2011
425
64
neuroanatomist said:
Just to clarify: the hallmark of the Flipside series is that the main compartment opens on the flip-side (thus the name ;) ), i.e. the side against your back. AFAIK, every Flipside is like that (I know the Flipside 300 and 400AW are). That's one reason I prefer them – security, but also if you do lay it down to open the main compartment, the side that rests on the dirty ground is not the side that goes against your clothes!

Regarding the hip belt, I sincerely hope it's not better on the Flipside 300, since it's just a nylon web strap with a buckle, no padding at all, so about the only thing worse would be complete absence! The 400AW has a much nicer padded hip belt like that found on a proper hiking (internal frame) backpack.
Duh, of course you are right. I did a quick search for Lowepro 300AW and got the Photo Sport 300AW version, not Flipside 300AW and just looked at the picture. Flipside Sport 15L hip belt is just a strap like the Flipside 300AW, but the Photo Sport 300AW has a padded waist belt.
 
<-- start Taboola -->