Before you buy your next prime...

May 31, 2011
Badger said:
OMG, still laughing!

In all honesty, my "significant other" (how that Mrsfotografie? ;) ) can't really tell when or if I have a new lens on. I also don't think she really cares and I don't really have to sneak lenses in, but that is probably because she doesn't know how much some of the lenses cost :) I actually don't have any crazy expensive lenses.

This has been fun. I'm still going to be bummed when I get the 100mm macro L and I have to give up on the 85mm 1.8 which I kind of like. I suppose I should be glad I diagnosed this issue before I got out of hand!

I had the 100L... and I sold it when I got the 70-200mm f/2.8L is mkii. Then I bought the 85mm f/1.8 and I liked it... but I didn't like the 3 ft minimum focusing distance... so I bought the 100L again... and I sold the 85 f/1.8 because I wasn't using it at all... and I just bought an 85L f/1.2... so... I'm not sure I have a point... but the 100L is a lovely lens... and while I have a good deal of affection for the 85 f/1.8... you'll be quite happy with the sharpness, and the bokeh, and the the think depth of field...

Upvote 0
Dec 9, 2012
I had the 100L... and I sold it when I got the 70-200mm f/2.8L is mkii. Then I bought the 85mm f/1.8 and I liked it... but I didn't like the 3 ft minimum focusing distance... so I bought the 100L again... and I sold the 85 f/1.8 because I wasn't using it at all... and I just bought an 85L f/1.2... so... I'm not sure I have a point... but the 100L is a lovely lens... and while I have a good deal of affection for the 85 f/1.8... you'll be quite happy with the sharpness, and the bokeh, and the the think depth of field...

LOL,
Someone tell me this isn't an illness! I think it is particularly worse for those of us who don't make money at this. Its for the love of the game. Some of us also like taking pictures ;) I blame my dad. I must have been in elementary when I inherited his old Nikon FG after he got the FA. Its been non stop since. BTW, my daughters will have nothing to do with my old 20D. Just not interested :-[

Upvote 0
Badger said:
OMG, still laughing!

In all honesty, my "significant other" (how that Mrsfotografie? ;) ) can't really tell when or if I have a new lens on. I also don't think she really cares and I don't really have to sneak lenses in, but that is probably because she doesn't know how much some of the lenses cost :) I actually don't have any crazy expensive lenses.

My "significant other" knows that I enjoy my photography and the gear that goes with it, and she supports me in that because she knows it makes me happy. Besides that (and partly powered by my passion for photography) we go a lot of places (daytrips) and go on exotic holidays, which she enjoys very much (the exotic destinations are her passion). So it actually really works for us :)

Oh and I finally convinced here that her camera was in need of an update (she doesn't care at all about gear herself), so I bought her a Panasonic G5 with the 14-140 lens to replace her old FZ-50. She's very pleased with her new camera, and that gives me much joy :)

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2014
My wife is a saver, and I am a spender..

I've wanted the 200mm f2 for a long time, but I didn't want to go into debt for it and well I never happened to have that much cash on me.

So in January I told my Wife I was going to save up for it, but also I would put money aside for house improvements each month too.

Worked out well, I now have my 200mm f2 and my Wife is happy :)

I feel like I'm slowing down with lens purchases now..
CZ 35mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8, 85mm 1.2 II, 135mm 2, 200mm 2

The 100L Macro would be nice, but I think some TC's and tubes will be next on my list.

Upvote 0
Photography is a hobby for me to ENJOY. So I weigh my purchases with this question in mind: Will this piece of gear enhance my pleasure from my hobby?

For for example, when I asked myself if I should upgrade from the 550d to the 6d - the answer was NO. For what I do - having a FF heavier camera will not make any substantial contribution to my hobby.

On the other hand I purchased a 100L - and enjoy it immensely.

Upvote 0
koolman said:
Photography is a hobby for me to ENJOY. So I weigh my purchases with this question in mind: Will this piece of gear enhance my pleasure from my hobby?

For for example, when I asked myself if I should upgrade from the 550d to the 6d - the answer was NO. For what I do - having a FF heavier camera will not make any substantial contribution to my hobby.

6D hardly a 'heavier' camera plus the 100L looks beautiful on a 6D : }

Upvote 0
GaryJ said:
koolman said:

I know :) don't think I'm immune to GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) - But I'm on a budget and need to spend carefully.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
Dylan777 said:
My wife already giving up tracking my lenses :p

Last weekend, she saw me setting up the flashes and umbrella at home office. She looked at me and asked "have you seen my new Fendi bag?"

It was a HAPPY ENDING for both ;D
I'm just glad your story wasn't set in a massage parlor :eek:. And I bought my wife a new laptop this week, so if she catches me, I'm okay. I'm guessing she tracked your big whites, though, I know my wife sure did!

I'm guessing that is one reason why photographers have so many bags. It makes hiding lenses that much easier when they aren't in plain sight. And as for boxes in closet, 10 boxes + 1 is much harder to notice than 3 boxes + 1. ::)

Upvote 0
koolman said:
GaryJ said:
koolman said:

I know :) don't think I'm immune to GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) - But I'm on a budget and need to spend carefully.

It's good to be careful, because once you take the full-frame 'leap', all hope for control of GAS is lost.

Upvote 0
AcutancePhotography said:
It is funny reading this and other like threads and then remembering all the times photographers say "it's not the equipment, it's the photographer". ;D ;D ;D

I swear I can get the same result out of my Ixus 132 that I get with my 5DIII + 100mm L Macro. 8) 8) :eek:

Oh wait... ::)

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
Dylan777 said:
mackguyver said:
Badger said:
I should start a thread on how to purchase equipment and sneak it into the house without your wife knowing ;)
That's what I'll be doing today - sneaking, not writing a thread, that is 8).

My wife already giving up tracking my lenses :p

Last weekend, she saw me setting up the flashes and umbrella at home office. She looked at me with a smile and said "have you seen my new Fendi bag?"

I usually get my wife something before I get what I need. Even though what I get is for business and she understands that it helps with the "do you really need to get that".

Upvote 0
It was a close call for me yesterday, but I got the TS-E 17 in the house. I threw it on the camera and told my wife I wanted to take some pictures of the house because she had it decorated so pretty :). She looked at the lens oddly for a second but I told her that I rarely use this one because, "It's not exactly a portrait lens" and that's why it looked a little strange. She's not stupid, though, and she probably knows I'm up to something...

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
It was a close call for me yesterday, but I got the TS-E 17 in the house. I threw it on the camera and told my wife I wanted to take some pictures of the house because she had it decorated so pretty :). She looked at the lens oddly for a second but I told her that I rarely use this one because, "It's not exactly a portrait lens" and that's why it looked a little strange. She's not stupid, though, and she probably knows I'm up to something...

I'm sure it's not the first bulbous end she's seen! :p

Upvote 0
Zv said:
mackguyver said:

I'm sure it's not the first bulbous end she's seen! :p
The third, actually - I had a 14L and Sigma 12-24II :p :p :p

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
ecka said:
AcutancePhotography said:
It is funny reading this and other like threads and then remembering all the times photographers say "it's not the equipment, it's the photographer". ;D ;D ;D

Doesn't work for lens collectors :)

Let's reframe the discussion.

It's not the telescope, it's the astronomer.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
ahab1372 said:
jdramirez said:
Let's reframe the discussion.

It's not the telescope, it's the astronomer.
Absolutely. A good astronomer can take better pictures with an old paper towel roll and a monocle than a newbie with 5-digit $ worth of gear.

I'm always amazed at the stories of Galileo and co... though I'm included to say that the Hubble telescope would significantly help in finding an undiscovered galaxy. V the tasco I buy my daughter.

Upvote 0