Best bag for hiking with a camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new bag last June. As you imagine, I spent countless hours searching for reviews.

I ended up going with F-stop, but not the Loka, which seemed too small, but with the Tilopa BC. I couldn't be happier with the quality of this bag, except for the price.
I originally wanted the SATORY EXP, but I would have had to check it in at airports (both the Loka and Tilopa BC can be taken as carry-on).

I got the medium ICU.
Honestly, the Loka might be right for you IF you are planning ONLY short day hikes around your area. If you think you might have some use of it during long vacation away from home, I would get something larger.

I have to disagree with other post. The Loka will not give you PLENTY of space if you add a medium ICU, but you will have space for your water bottle and granola bars. If you go on longer trip, you will need jacket, emergency kit, headlamps, poncho, spare clothes, extra batteries, more water ... This barely fits into the Tilopa BC when you add all your camera equipment.

O.

Upvote 0

Schruminator

I'm just kidding, seriously.
Sep 18, 2012
Tulsa, OK USA
www.mschrum.com
I couldn't find a camera bag to fit my tastes, so I ended up getting a bag geared towards snowboarders and skiers. It's great because it has places to strap skis onto the bag (tripod anyone?) and it has access to the main pocket from the front or the back so I don't have to set my straps in the mud to open things up and get to my camera.

For internal dividers I went with TrekPak and they are absolutely perfect.

So, unless you find exactly what you're looking for, don't get too stressed with camera bags. There are literally hundreds of hiking bags out there that might fit your needs and TrekPak does a good job at handling the rest.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Schruminator said:
I couldn't find a camera bag to fit my tastes, so I ended up getting a bag geared towards snowboarders and skiers. It's great because it has places to strap skis onto the bag (tripod anyone?) and it has access to the main pocket from the front or the back so I don't have to set my straps in the mud to open things up and get to my camera.

For internal dividers I went with TrekPak and they are absolutely perfect.

So, unless you find exactly what you're looking for, don't get too stressed with camera bags. There are literally hundreds of hiking bags out there that might fit your needs and TrekPak does a good job at handling the rest.

This entire thread reaffirms my faith in this forum's ability to lovingly overthink their gear needs.

So glad I am not the only one. :D

- A

Upvote 0
I'll suggest the Mountainsmith Borealis for anyone that wants a lot of flexibility. It's very durable, holds a tons, has a water bladder/laptop computer compartment, etc. Works well for hiking, but also doubles as a great carry-on or checked bag for travel. Has a special mount for carrying a tripod, too.

Upvote 0
If you want to put in some lunch, clothes,... too then I would suggest the Click elite contrejour backpack (35 or 40). (back + side access to the Cam!) or one of the f-stop series.

I own both Backpacks (Contrejour 40, f-stop Satori exp with 3 ICus).
Bothe are well built and waterproof with the raincap. The f-stop stop backpack can be used more variable, just change the ICU inside.

BTW: (Before I used the Tamrac Expedition backpack. Great backpack too, especially if there ist much to carry)...

Thoes three are very comfortable to carry.

My son uses an Deuter Futura Vario 50+10 with the medium or small f-stop ICU. He openes the front zipper of the Deuter and then the ICU. Works fine. If you have to cayyr a lot. In his holidays he uses the Aircontact pro 70+15 with an ICU.

My wife owns the Lowepro Photo Sport Pro 30L AW and the Rover Pro AW 45

Maybe these Lowepro backpacks meet your whishes.
My wife is very satisfied with these two backapcks, they are not heavy but big.

Upvote 0
Easy Question. I just finished 3 days of hiking around the Shawangunk Mountains with essentially the same set up. The best camera bag for you is any one that holds a Fujifilm x100s. I'll keep my Canon but these hikes have sealed the deal. the 5DIII is just too much camera to haul around on long hikes scrambling up and down rock slides. I found myself not going to places I wanted to because the gear was too heavy. If you want to go on longer hikes you are much better off bringing a smaller (but still excellent) camera and more water. save weight, go further, haul less gear.

Upvote 0
There is no shoe that fits all. After making too many mistakes and spending too much money and making shoulders sore, I have reached the following conclusion:
--If photography is my focus and/or hike is not really extreme, I prefer a good strap (whichever you prefer) and lowepro technical belt with appropriate accessories.
--If hiking is my priority, and I expect to jump/climb or for mountain biking, I carry super lightweight osprey with really minimal camera gear.
Over the time I have realized camera backpacks are worst of both for either of the situation.....

Upvote 0
Roll your hat or an extra sweater around your camera and use a state of the art running bag. I don't use camera bags on hikes. No worries. Last hike was 14 days and only 25 kg. On a good photo hike you have your camera at your eye anyway, but never ever leave the rain cover no matter what. Or pack everything in a dry bag inside the pack. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
I realize the OP has made his choice ... but I am also in the research phase for a new small/lightweight hiking/skiing/camera backpack and am considering Ortlieb as the premier German manufacturer of hi-quality waterproof bags. For my next bag I want one that is natively waterproof without a separate rain cover. But ideally not with a roll-top cover, since this would be a compromise in terms of quick access to camera.

For the set of requirements stated in the starting post I would consider the Ortlieb Cor 13:
http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=cor13
http://www.ortlieb.de/_pdf_en/cor13.pdf

volume 13 L, size 44x25x22 cm, weight 700g, sturdy PU-coated Nylon, 100% waterproof IP67 (!), Tizip opening, removable flap for bike helmet or snowboard or other gear, removable waist belt, prepared for hydration system.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
OP following up here...

Pic below is the received item with the goods inside. As you can see, all of my specs are met -- the water bottle will go in one side pouch and (if needed) a tripod or raincoat will go in the other pouch. I may just double down on the water, though.

That item again: http://www.lowepro.com/flipside-sport#prettyPhoto
(I got the tiny 10L)

I could swap my 70-200 F/2.8 IS II pretty comfortably if I switched dividers, but the hat may have to go. But the pack is small and centered on my back, and it's very size discourages "over-gearing" for a hike. I kind of love that.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

- A

Attachments

• IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    805.2 KB · Views: 397
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.