Best Cap for 82mm Slim Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
I use B+W 82mm Slim MRC UV Filter for my 16-35 f/2.8 L II & 24-70 f/2.8 VC lenses.
The problem with that filter is that you cannot use the regular lens cap as the slim filter does not have any threading ... B+W does provide a lens cap but it keeps falling off all the time.
So my question is that do any of you use a lens cap for 82mm slim filter and does the cap stay on securely? if yes, please give me the brand name or better yet a web link where I can buy it online.
Thanks in advance.

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
I'd recommend exchanging the slim filters for XS-Pro filters - only slightly thicker (3.4mm vs. 3mm) and has front threads so the Canon caps work. I use an XS-Pro MRC UV on my 16-35L II, there's no additional vignetting.
Thank you very much
Just one more question, I see there are 2 kinds (on B&H website, but they do not specify the height), which one of these do you use:
82mm XS-Pro Clear MRC-Nano 007?
OR
82 XS-Pro UV MRC-Nano 010M?

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
For a dSLR, there's no difference between UV and Clear. I'd get whichever is cheaper.
Thanks for the reply ... I am aware that they do not make any difference, what I wanted to know was their thickness as you had earlier said 3.4mm ... so I wanted to know which one you got that is 3.4mm thick (as B&H does not seem to specify the thickness. Also, there is just a $10 difference between the two. But having read your earlier post again I noticed you had clearly mentioned "UV" :-[
Thanks for your helpful advice ... much appreciated.

Upvote 0
this lens cap works well
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/82mm-82-White-Balance-Lens-Cap-WB-Custom-Filter-Mount-/320912060671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4ab7d970ff

see in the pic there is a seperate ring? that is supposed to screw into the filter thread and the cap is a snug pop on or off fit its snug enough that by not bothering with their supplied ring the cap will fit tightly over the outside diameter of the filter.

they actually also work quite well for custom white balance too even in mixed lighting and are much more convenient than a grey card

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
wickidwombat said:
this lens cap works well
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/82mm-82-White-Balance-Lens-Cap-WB-Custom-Filter-Mount-/320912060671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4ab7d970ff

see in the pic there is a seperate ring? that is supposed to screw into the filter thread and the cap is a snug pop on or off fit its snug enough that by not bothering with their supplied ring the cap will fit tightly over the outside diameter of the filter.

they actually also work quite well for custom white balance too even in mixed lighting and are much more convenient than a grey card
If it fits snugly without falling off on a 82mm slim filter, I'd rather get this than a expensive XS-Pro ... but I didn't quite understand the concept of this cap ... do you use this? how does it work?

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
wickidwombat said:
this lens cap works well

If it fits snugly without falling off on a 82mm slim filter, I'd rather get this than a expensive XS-Pro ... but I didn't quite understand the concept of this cap ... do you use this? how does it work?
yeah its easty to use
with the cap on the lens flick it over to mf
point camera at scene you are going to shoot with AWB enabled
take a pic
set that pic as custom white balance pic
flick AF switch back to AF (annoying when you forget this part)
carry on shooting

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
wickidwombat said:
Rienzphotoz said:
wickidwombat said:
this lens cap works well

yeah its easty to use
take a pic
carry on shooting
Sorry, I think I didn't ask the question correctly ... I am not talking about the WB ... what I wanted to know was how does the cap fit, because you said:
"see in the pic there is a seperate ring? that is supposed to screw into the filter thread and the cap is a snug pop on or off fit its snug enough that by not bothering with their supplied ring the cap will fit tightly over the outside diameter of the filter"

I am a bit confused, do I need to attach the separate ring in order to fit the cap snugly on to my 82mm slim filter?
I am not interested int the custom WB part as I already have a Rogue ExpoDisc and a WhiBal ... I am only interested in the cap for my 82mm slim filter.

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
wickidwombat said:
Rienzphotoz said:
wickidwombat said:
this lens cap works well

yeah its easty to use
take a pic
carry on shooting
Sorry, I think I didn't ask the question correctly ... I am not talking about the WB ... what I wanted to know was how does the cap fit, because you said:
"see in the pic there is a seperate ring? that is supposed to screw into the filter thread and the cap is a snug pop on or off fit its snug enough that by not bothering with their supplied ring the cap will fit tightly over the outside diameter of the filter"

I am a bit confused, do I need to attach the separate ring in order to fit the cap snugly on to my 82mm slim filter?
I am not interested int the custom WB part as I already have a Rogue ExpoDisc and a WhiBal ... I am only interested in the cap for my 82mm slim filter.
oh it fits because you just forget about the mounting ring it comes with and it snuggly fits over the filter itself
ie the inside diameter of the cap = the outside diameter of the filter

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
wickidwombat said:
Rienzphotoz said:
wickidwombat said:
Rienzphotoz said:
wickidwombat said:
this lens cap works well

yeah its easty to use
take a pic
carry on shooting

oh it fits because you just forget about the mounting ring it comes with and it snuggly fits over the filter itself
ie the inside diameter of the cap = the outside diameter of the filter
OK, thanks.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.