Best flash for 5Dmk3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2012
DB said:
Dylan777 said:
5D III has some issues with AF-Assist Beam under low light - Speedlite 600. You might want to double check.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=10706.0

+1

Based upon this I change my earlier vote for the Canon 600EX and vote for the Yongnuo YN565-EX instead. It can provide focus assist in total darkness (went into a bedroom closed all doors and curtains at night and could take pics of anything in any corner of the room with almost instant AF on my 7D + 24-70).

The AF assist beam is absolutely crazy; will effectively light up a dark room. Just took this with my iPhone of the weird beam it throws out 8) Kinda looks like Lips with heavy Pink Lipstick

That's the same AF assist beam thats on the Yongnuo YN568EX as well, and my 5DIII focuses very fast in the dark with that. Canon 580EX II comparatively puts out AF assist beam that is much less obvious.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Daniel Flather said:
I have two Canon 600 flashes and the Canon ST-E3-RT. Awesome set-up for me, but the ST-E3-RT lacks an AF assist beam, so in very low light (single 60w bulb in a bathroom for example) it gets dodgy, but outside as a fill in set-up it's fabulous, fast, works, and is very portable.
The ST-E3-RT is awesome. I love using it.

Upvote 0
Kathode-Ray said:
I vote for the Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital. Works very well, even the custom functions can be set in camera.

Basically it's a 580 clone, with a bit extra. It has a USB port for future firmware upgrades, and a small secondary flash at the front for fills, I like that very much. Oh, and you don't have to study the manual to get it working, the menu is very straight-forward ;)

Ray

If you only have one flash, this also has the useful feature of a smaller secondary on the flash which can be used for front fill when you're bouncing the main unit. I have the AF-1 (bought it 3 weeks before the AF-2 came out and 1 week before the related AF-1 prie drop, teach me not to hit the internet before a purchase).

Like it quite a bit, has all the functions of a 580EX, plus the above and some strobing capabilities.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.