Best flash for 5Dmk3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, so I've got a question. I just purchased the 5Dmk3 and I must say, I'm absolutely in love with it. Now, I originally only used DSLR's for the video capability, but in the last 6 months or so I've really been delving into photography more so than cinematography. Now, I've never really used a flash because I've always lit my subjects from a constant light source, but I know flash is a bit of a different ball game. I'm looking for something that is good both on and off camera, and was wondering if anyone could share some information? I've researched the majority of all the speedlights and the pro-masters, but I'm just looking for personal opinions. I definitely don't want to just go blow money on the most expensive one, but I'm not opposed to spending a little more for the right flash. Thanks in advance!

-Daniel

The 600EX RT's have been in heavy rotation since I picked up three of them to replace my aging 580's. Not having to deal with PW's / triggers, etc. has made working with the speed lights a lot easier, and the ETTL metering seems to be a lot more consistent and predictable paired with the 5DIII. They're definitely pricey for speed lights, but worth it for me.

Upvote 0
jondave said:
Best flash? That's a very subjective question, it depends what your specific needs are. A flash gun spits out light, that's it. Pretty much any canon-compatible brand will do that for you.

Latest and the greatest? The 600ex-rt.

Value for money? Yongnuo 565ex.

I am interested in YN565EX. However, based on Amazon review, YN565EX does have some QC problem. A review mentioned the reversion of YN565EX was release in May 2012. Unfortunately, no one can proof that.

Upvote 0

Kathode-Ray

Shoot, shoot, shoot!
Jun 29, 2012
I vote for the Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital. Works very well, even the custom functions can be set in camera.

Basically it's a 580 clone, with a bit extra. It has a USB port for future firmware upgrades, and a small secondary flash at the front for fills, I like that very much. Oh, and you don't have to study the manual to get it working, the menu is very straight-forward ;)

Ray

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Like people are saying, it depends completely on the sort of work you plan to do and what kind of images you want to create. For a bit of fill light or relatively simple setups where there is unlikely to be a high volume of images shot in a session, one or two 600 EX-RT speedlights would be handy.

If you need greater control and need to use modifiers then mains powered monolights are the way to go. Einsteins from PCB http://www.paulcbuff.com/index.php represent extraordinary value and have been absolutely selling their socks off for the past couple of years since they started shipping. A more budget solution from PCB are the venerable Alien Bees. They're all explained pretty well on the PCB site or on the PCB Forums http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com/

Maybe a carryover from your video work will be just as relevant for stills, gutsy LED lights and thoughtfully used reflectors, particularly as your 5D3 is such an awesome high iso performer.

-PW

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
jondave said:
Best flash? That's a very subjective question, it depends what your specific needs are. A flash gun spits out light, that's it.

They also spit out an IR focus-assist beam, and in the case of the 600 EX-RT a radio signal. There is some debate whether the pattern of the AF-assist beam in the 600EX-RT differs from the 580EXII thus delivering different AF results in low light locations. I'm sure my 5d3 and 580EXII has markedly slower AF in very low light venues than the previous 5D2 & 5D Classic. The 1D4 AF is never much good in very low light at the best of times.

I was going to swap over to a couple of 600EX-RT flashes in part with the expectation that the IR AF beam pattern would be better suited to the 5D3 bodies. What I have been reading suggests there is little to be gained in the AF-assist department.

-PW

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Dylan777 said:
5D III has some issues with AF-Assist Beam under low light - Speedlite 600. You might want to double check.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=10706.0
It is still an amazing flash. I actually bought 4 and I use them for photoshoots. I started using them for the club months later and that was when I found out about the issue. One thing I have never tried was all points auto AF selection. I honestly don't trust that setting especially when using a 2.8 aperture but next time I use it at a club I might try it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.