Best lightweight crop lens for SL1 & hiking

Oct 18, 2011
Having been to Philmont, there are enough peaks/ridges where ultra-wide would be useful. 15-85 isn't the lightest lens, but it seems to cover the ranges the best.

My one lens I go to a lot is a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 Macro. Gives me a decent range, and if I want wider I can shoot pano and stitch. Mine is an older version that does 1:2.1 macro, which is great for everything but small insects. And the IQ is just a little better than the kit lens.

If you've got the 10-22, then maybe take that and the 40mm. Gives you a good set of options for landscape stuff, and if you want people shots, the 40mm is a good focal length. But I might not be the best judge of low-weight, as I took a 100-400L with me on multi-days in Glacier.

Upvote 0
preppyak said:
Also, i highly recomend something like the capture camera clip (lots of other similar systems) for hiking with a DSLR. Clip it to your pack strap and your DSLR is always at the ready. If you take a lens that has wildlife reach (18-270), its the difference between getting that bear photo or not
OK preppyak, the capture camera clip is pretty cool. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff so thanks for luring me into buying more of it! ;) It is similar to the cotton carrier for a pack strap. Have you used the cotton carrier pack strap item and if so (hope so) how does it compare?

If I use the CCC or other pack strap type mount, I need to find a simple and fairly workable way to cover the camera without hampering use. Something simple to help keep the dust, light rain and sun off of the camera. Kind of like a ripstop nylon little parachute or something that would just hang over it while it's on the strap. Maybe something like a shower cap that is elastic and waterproof that would go over it easy and come off easy.

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
I just bought the SL1 Rebel body for $349 (great price) figuring I would keep it in my pack while on the trail and use the D20 on my pack strap. The question is.....

Which lightweight lens to use so I only have to take one? I might take the 40mm pancake I have for low light and maybe a TC (if it fits the lens I choose) for more reach but in general, I figured I would take the DSLR+lens+simple strap as a unit, extra batteries and that's about it. I don't mind using a non-Canon lens. I don't mind just using the STM kit lens but I figured I would get everyone's opinion before I jumped.

I do a lot of extended hiking also, both with my sons Boy Scout troop and with my older son and wife. I have an EOS-M that has become my light weight hiking camera.

I've hiked with a T2i, 7D, 6D, S100 and now and EOS-M. I'm fine with taking a larger DLSR on day hikes, but when you are carrying overnight gear, food and water, the heavier kit quickly becomes a burden! I was thinking about the SL1 last summer, but when the M's went on sale in June, it was too good a deal to pass up and I pulled the trigger on a M+22/2 kit.

My normal overnight hiking set-up was to clip my S100 to my backpack strap for quick access shots along the trail and my larger DSLR and lenses in the backpack for around camp and side hikes - very similar to how you are doing things! This arrangement worked well, but was heavy - especially when I took more than one lens along for the DSLR. Once I got the M, I was impressed enough with the IQ that I decided to try using it as my only camera on a few overnight hikes - I also sold the S100. On my first hike with the M, I decided to just take it and the 22/2 lens. I took some great shots, but found the single focal length too limiting! I missed a number of good wildlife shot opportunities due to the lack of a longer focal lens. For the second overnight hike, I borrowed a friends EF-S 55-250 IS lens that I used with the M adapter along with the 22/2 - it made a decent combination. 22mm isn't really wide enough for many landscape shots, so I ended up creating a number of panoramas. I attach the M+22/2 to my backpack strap using a modified wrist strap along with some Velcro to minimize bouncing around.

For next year I'm planning to buy a EF-M 18-55 and possibly a 11-22mm to give me more flexibility but still keep things small and light. I'd love to see Canon come out with a 15-85mm lens for the M at some point. When I owned crop bodies, the EF-S 15-85mm IS was my favorite outdoor lens.

Regarding your lens decision for the SL1, my recommendation would probably be the EF-S 18-55 STM if you want to keep things light. The new EF-S 18-135 STM is reportedly a terrific super zoom, but is considerably larger and heavier. I also second the recommendation for the 24 2.8 IS lens, which would be a very nice prime option. These IS primes are terrific and the 38mm FF equivalent focal length is excellent for general purpose photography. I certainly love the 22/2 prime on my M.

I'm thinking about buying my wife an SL1/18-55 kit for Christmas. If I do, I'll find a way to borrow it for some hikes next summer to see how I like it compared with the EOS-M. IQ should be roughly the same, but the SL1's superior AF will come in handy at times.

Good luck with your decision!

Upvote 0
Thanks bholliman! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the SL1 after you've used it. I considered the M with an adapter. But the M and the adapter is about the same weight as the SL1 and probably close to the same size. And I was concerned that it would be awkward to use since it's sort of a live view type of thing instead of a viewfinder thing that I can tuck in close and hold still, etc. It's not exactly cheap for what it is, esp after adding the cost of the adapter. But hey, if it's a super item for the purpose, one never knows!!...

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
Thanks bholliman! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the SL1 after you've used it. I considered the M with an adapter. But the M and the adapter is about the same weight as the SL1 and probably close to the same size. And I was concerned that it would be awkward to use since it's sort of a live view type of thing instead of a viewfinder thing that I can tuck in close and hold still, etc. It's not exactly cheap for what it is, esp after adding the cost of the adapter. But hey, if it's a super item for the purpose, one never knows!!...

Yes, with the adapter the M isn't much smaller than the SL1. I'm more and more just using the M with just the 22/2 lens since it's small and light that way. If I'm going to attach my 24-70 2.8 II, I might as well use my 6D.

Upvote 0