Lens to take to Kruger National Park South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have the opportunity to visit Kruger this August and will take my 5d mkiii and 50d. With the camera's i'll take a 300mm 2.8L 70-200 2.8 mkii L and 24-105L with 1.4 and 2x extenders. Does anyone have any advice on what other lens I should pack/rent/buy.
I have never been on Safari so all advice will be helpful on lens or any other equipment needed.

Thanks

4D

Mar 8, 2012
While you will have 400mm with your 2x on the 70-200, more is always better there as lions, cheetahs, leopards and rhino are usually 50-100m from the road. You can't follow them anywhere like you see in many safari videos.

I will be there in October and just got a 100-400 for my 7D, plus I have a 1.4x and feel well prepared with that.

Last year I had a 70-300 on the crop and it was ok, but its not really enough.

Elephants and buck are usually very close, right next to the road and you can be lucky to have lions that close too, but often they are just crossing.

Go long!

Upvote 0
H

harryhon

I was there last October.
If you are in the public part of the park, you need to have 300 or 400 mm at least (on a crop body) to capture
lions, rhino's and leopards.
If you are on a private lodge in kruger park, your 70-200 will do. These guys are driving you right next to the animals...
Really cool 8)
Had some lion cubs in about 15 metros distance and a leopard just 10 metros from the car !
Anyway, if you are into birds, better bring your big lenses (as usual....).

Regardless, what option you are going for, it is really worthwhile !

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.