Best Sensor Cleaning Products

Steve Todd

Canon SLR/DSLR user since 1976
Jul 20, 2010
Albuquerque, New Mexico USA
Although I get two cleaning and function checks each year as part of my CPS membership, I find it's just not enough to keep up with the crud that ends up on my camera sensors. Even using extreme measures (changing lenses in the car or indoors whenever possible) to keep dust out of the bodies, and blow cleaning, just doesen't cut it! Although Canon does a good job of cleaning, the hastle of getting the bodies out to them every year is not simple or cheap either!

I'd like to master the art of dry and wet sensor cleaning. I'm a little reluctant to venture into doing that myself, as I have read of people having to send their cameras to a Canon service center for cleaning or repair after trying to clean their sensors themselves.

However, I believe many of you sucessfully and routenely clean your sensors yourselves and must have recommendations on what wet and dry (more than just using a blower) methods and products work the best, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! BTW, I have reviewed the methods used on the Lens Rental site, but would still like to hear what has worked for you!

Mar 25, 2011
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Mt Spokane Photography said:
slclick said:
I always take claims like this with a grain of salt, particularly when its basically a sales commercial. Cleaning a mirror with it? This brings into question the competence of the reviewer. He did also not seem to know about the problems with dirty sensors on the D600.

The big claim is that Reputable service centers have been using this exact method for some time now. Yeah I see how it reads like a sales pitch that was my initial reaction as well. I'm in the Rocket Blower camp.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
slclick said:
My introduction to the fstoppers site was this review.......
http://fstoppers.com/the-fstoppers-nikon-df-camera-hipster-review
After that bit of false frivolity, I now take everything I see at fstoppers just as seriously I take http://newcameranews.com/ . I find New Camera News funnier though.

Seriously, I'll take technical and product recommendations from Kai Wong at digitalrev.com before fstoppers.

Upvote 0

NWPhil

one eye; one shot - multiple misses
Oct 4, 2011
dust-aid I believe is the pioneer in this.
However, you need three methods for a clean and effective cleaning, and the wet cleaning is just for the "welded" dust.
Before anything else, DO a good search and review about products and methods on the web - plenty of videos around.
Then learn how to change lenses properly
If you decide to a DIY, be prepared to spend probably way over $300 when all is done.

First step - dust off and clean the lenses mount - avoid blow air into lens rear opening if applies.
Second step - clean and dust off the mirror chamber - you might need to this several times, as blowing air will only make dust move to other spots

then, and after be sure that most visible dust is out, you can start the sensor cleaning.
a lot can be said about this, but google and u-tube will be your friends

I stumble upon a video showing all the steps I mention above, and I have no doubts is indeed the best way.
It's a process of multi-steps, and requires to be ve very methodical and avoid cross contaminations.
In sum:

clean/dust-off mirror chamber
check sensor and locate main dust spots.
use dry method first (brush)
check sensor afterwards.
clean chamber again
check sensor again
use dry method cleaning if needed - if some spots remain, then:
use wet cleaning method
take a break
start again by actuating shutter a few times before starting, with the camera pointing down
check chamber again
then check sensor
try to remove any dust pushed to edges after the wet sawb with the brush(dry method)
if does not work, use dust-aid stick method
- repeat all the above (after a short break) till satisfied

notes -
don't rush; use a clean and as dust-free as possible work area.
Have all the tools prepared, and dusted off.
Don't cross contaminate brushes

(did I say in sum?)

This is just a sample description of the demonstration video I watched

It's expensive and risky, but it can be done

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
tolusina said:
slclick said:
After that bit of false frivolity, I now take everything I see at fstoppers just as seriously I take http://newcameranews.com/ . I find New Camera News funnier though.

Seriously, I'll take technical and product recommendations from Kai Wong at digitalrev.com before fstoppers.

I just their review of the Hassy. Very enjoyable.

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
leGreve said:
I went all the way to photographylife.com who sells the product and had a look…..

Notice how they are open to pre-order only because the product isn't out till march 2014.

Then how can 10 different people have rated and reviewed this product already? Smells…..

Interesting. On another board a member (actually the moderator) indicated he received a shipping notice on his and it should arrive in a few days. Seems like a more dangerous method than the usual wet method.

Upvote 0

leGreve

Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
Nov 6, 2010
Denmark
vimeo.com
Have any of you ever had issues with cleaning centers?

I know I can't name and shame…. but I've heard a couple of stories about a specific cleaning center here in Copenhagen.
The studio I work for have had our Canon DSLR sent there a couple of times, and each time it's like the problem isn't really fixed or they find something new to repair. They found a dead pixel that wasn't dead on our photos…..

Some time later, a friend of mine sent in his Nikon for basic cleaning…. they found another dead pixel in his.

So I have become vary of sending in my camera, because to me it's beginning to sound like that this particular center is making up or creating issues so they can keep the wheels running.

Upvote 0
F

flowers

leGreve said:
Have any of you ever had issues with cleaning centers?

I know I can't name and shame…. but I've heard a couple of stories about a specific cleaning center here in Copenhagen.
The studio I work for have had our Canon DSLR sent there a couple of times, and each time it's like the problem isn't really fixed or they find something new to repair. They found a dead pixel that wasn't dead on our photos…..

Some time later, a friend of mine sent in his Nikon for basic cleaning…. they found another dead pixel in his.

So I have become vary of sending in my camera, because to me it's beginning to sound like that this particular center is making up or creating issues so they can keep the wheels running.

Yes, some places do that. The biggest risk for an experienced photographer is to send their camera to be cleaned by someone else. The biggest risk to a beginner is to clean their own sensor without really knowing what they're doing. Anyone who doesn't use a blower for basic dust removal should maybe reconsider having a camera with interchangeable lenses in the first place. It's as basic as setting exposure, it's something you simply need to learn to do, first thing. It's almost impossible to do wrong. The other methods of cleaning, especially wet cleaning require a bit more knowledge and are very easy to do wrong so you need to study how to do them right before doing them. When you buy your camera you should either read the manual or learn it by using it. When it comes to sensor cleaning you should just read the manual and not attempt to learn by doing. You can learn by doing too if you don't mind risking having to pay hundreds of dollars for the learning experience. It's not as complicated as it seems, take the time to find out how to do it right. Saves a lot of servicing fees and time without your camera (time with a repair service loan camera is also time without your camera).

Upvote 0
What? You gotta clean the sensor??? :eek: But.. but... for $3000+ that damned 5D3 Auto-Clean function should be doing the job for me!!

Seriously... just turn it face down in the dishwasher....

No really, seriously this time, the air hose in the garage works great!

But if you're in a pinch at a nightclub, just use a swizzle stick and napkin.

Upvote 0
OK, sorry. Couldn't resist! ;D

I've owned several bodies that required routine cleaning. Some more than others. Older bodies needed it more than newer bodies. My old favorite 5Dc was notorious for sensor specks.

It's my opinion that static is the major culprit for sensor dust and the older cameras didn't mitigate it as effectively I guess because my newer cameras (5D3, 6D, 60D, etc.) don't seem to need cleaning as often.

My thoughts on this is that one should always check the sensor image (various methods either by zooming or using photoshop layers) to inspect for spots in the image after shooting the blue sky, etc at a small aperture.

The sensor should only be cleaned IF it is needed. But once it is needed, a photographer should learn to do it.

It's not much more complicated than simple brain surgery. And when doing brain surgery, it's best to not smoke, play with the cat or be around a running belt sander or chain saw.

Like surgery, you should be clean, maybe wear a hair net or hat and work in a fairly sterile environment. The bathroom or kitchen might be a good idea as long as it's clean, you aren't baking bread or creating dust from rolling 50 feet of TP out on the floor. Get the area a bit humid by running some hot water for while. This will eliminate air born dust and reduce residual static.

Once the environment is set, use your favorite method. Personally I start with a similar method to above where I try to clean the mount, mirror, etc first and then work my way to the sensor. Then I start with air, test for spots, try dry methods and check again. I only use a wet method as a last resort because it's such a PITA to end up with a pristine sensor.

When cleaning, you may find that static is your friend if it's built up on the dry brush you're using.

Whatever happens, just be gentle. You're NOT touching the sensor, you're cleaning the thin glass filter on top of it. It's fairly durable and repairable but if you're careful, you don't have much to worry about other than uttering profanity when success eludes you after the 10th go around.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
tolusina said:
slclick said:

I actually think Kai has a fairly solid understanding of what he's doing most of the time.

When the fstoppers guy mentioned the sticky cube as a solution to D600 oil I wanted to shout at him through the computer.
Their DF video got me to bookmark the site, this video got me to un-bookmark it.

New camera news looks amazing though. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2012
If a blower doesn't do the trick, I use a rubber spatula trimmed to a square edge. A piece of a lint-free wipe (courtesy of the lab I work in) wrapped around it and pure methanol (lab courtesy again) as the liquid. Many folks use Pec Pads or some such. I'm leaving details out because this being CR, you'll hear many opinions and gnashing of teeth. As someone else posted, you'll find a dozen guides on the internet for sensor cleaning. Read/watch them and figure out what you want to try and practice on a piece of glass. Kinda like changing oil and tuneups - learn to do it yourself and you'll both save money and know it was done right. Always always always use a blower FIRST!! Just don't use canned air. In a past life I made my living working on optics, so I have my methods and I'm both experienced and comfortable with them. I'm a fan of that piezo-electric-vibrator thingy built into the sensors now, it knocks the boulders off the sensor and minimizes the potential to scratch the glass when cleaning. I frequently change out cameras/lenses/telescopes in the field, so my sensors tend to get dirty. I'd go broke sending them in for cleaning.

Upvote 0
Aglet said:
I won't tell you what else I use, it'll cause you nightmares.

Brillo pad and Clorox?

I just got the sticky gel stick- haven't used it yet, but I'll report back here when I do if I think of it- I have a 1DX and it is HORRIBLE for spots all over the sensor filter- it's a known problem with a defective mirror box assembly- (plastic parts rub against metal parts- flaking off bits of plastic, and the lubrication they used evidently dries out and flakes off and clings to the sensor filter usually in upper corners, and when bad, all over the sensor- like mine was) I posted about it in another thread- Anyways, Canon replaced the mirror box assembly, but now it's creating the problem with spots again- apparently they replaced the defe3ctive mirror box assembly with another defective mirror box assembly, and then told me 'I'm on my own from here on out' meaning they won't stand behind the replacement part- So evidently I'll have to pay through the nose if I want my current defective mirror box assembly replaced with yet another defective mirror box assembly- Swell, huh?

Anyways- as I said, I'll let you all know how the cleaning turns out-

Upvote 0