Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/08/big-lexar-memory-card-deals-at-bh/"></g:plusone></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/08/big-lexar-memory-card-deals-at-bh/"></a></div>
<strong>Lots of deals

</strong>B&H has launched a bunch of deals on various high end Lexar memory cards.</p>
<p>I don’t know when the sale ends, I imagine it won’t be around too long though.</p>
<p><strong>Lexar Compact Flash 1000x
<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Lexar/Ntt/CompactFlash+Memory+Card+Professional+1000x/N/0/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">

</a></strong><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Lexar/Ntt/CompactFlash+Memory+Card+Professional+1000x/N/0/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Lexar CompactFlash Memory Cards Professional 1000x UDMA at B&H</a></p>
<p><strong>Lexar Compact Flash 400x

</strong><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Lexar/Ntt/CompactFlash+Memory+Card+Professional+400/ci/15293/N/4294205295/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Lexar CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 400x UDMA at B&H </a></p>
<p><strong>Lexar SDHC Class 10</strong>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Lexar/Ntt/SDHC+Memory+Card+Professional+Class+10+UHS-I/N/4291367126/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Lexar SDHC Memory Card Professional Class 10 UHS-I at B&H </a></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

DarkKnightNine

The best camera is the one that's with you.
Jul 1, 2011
Yokohama, Japan
www.marvenpayne.com
I was going to replace all of my SanDisk Extreme Pro cards with these Pro cards from Lexar but my local camera dealer told me that because their is some behind the scenes conflict between Canon and Lexar that Canon does not support their cards and that they may not work in my cameras. Anyone have any information on this or know if there is any truth to it?

Upvote 0
DarkKnightNine said:
I was going to replace all of my SanDisk Extreme Pro cards with these Pro cards from Lexar but my local camera dealer told me that because their is some behind the scenes conflict between Canon and Lexar that Canon does not support their cards and that they may not work in my cameras. Anyone have any information on this or know if there is any truth to it?

I've heard nothing but good things about the Lexar 1000x from people in general, and on this forum with 5d3/1DX.

Upvote 0
DarkKnightNine said:

Only if you consider going from 18-20 RAW at 6fps to 30-32 RAW at 6fps before the buffer stalls on the 5D3 to be a "problem".

8)

Upvote 0
Any 7D users out there that can comment on if a 7D can gain any benefit from the 1000x vs 400x. I've got a couple 400x and occasionally will max the buffer. Always figured it was the camera, but with cards on sale, might as well ask if it might be the cards! If a card would also benefit me, could have quite the boost once the new firmware is released!

Upvote 0
DarkKnightNine said:

I bought two of the 400x a few days ago and I have had no issues with them in my 5d Mk III. Probably shot 300-400 pictures on them with downloads through a lexar USB 3.0 card reader.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Irishpanther said:
Any 7D users out there that can comment on if a 7D can gain any benefit from the 1000x vs 400x. I've got a couple 400x and occasionally will max the buffer. Always figured it was the camera, but with cards on sale, might as well ask if it might be the cards! If a card would also benefit me, could have quite the boost once the new firmware is released!

I'm not the expert on this. (paging Dr. Neuro), but from what I understand, there are really two issues. How quickly the camera writes to the card and how quickly the card transfers the data to the computer. The speed that the camera writes to the card is limited by the write speed and buffer of the camera. My understanding is that most cards can accept the data faster than the camera writes from the buffer to the card, so there isn't any advantage to the super fast cards for the 7D. (400X should be more than adequate).

On the other hand, if you are using a card reader to transfer the data to your computer, it will go a lot faster if you have a fast card.

My real life experience tends to confirm this. I've never had a problem with the 400X cards (although I wouldn't go for the slower ones).

I make no claims to be a "techie" so I've probably screwed this up, but I think the bottom line is that the super fast cards don't offer much if any advantage because the camera becomes the main limiting factor.

Anyone who knows more about this, feel free to correct.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
I'm not the expert on this. (paging Dr. Neuro), but from what I understand, there are really two issues. How quickly the camera writes to the card and how quickly the card transfers the data to the computer. The speed that the camera writes to the card is limited by the write speed and buffer of the camera. My understanding is that most cards can accept the data faster than the camera writes from the buffer to the card, so there isn't any advantage to the super fast cards for the 7D. (400X should be more than adequate).

On the other hand, if you are using a card reader to transfer the data to your computer, it will go a lot faster if you have a fast card.

My real life experience tends to confirm this. I've never had a problem with the 400X cards (although I wouldn't go for the slower ones).

I make no claims to be a "techie" so I've probably screwed this up, but I think the bottom line is that the super fast cards don't offer much if any advantage because the camera becomes the main limiting factor.

Anyone who knows more about this, feel free to correct.

You may not consider yourself a "techie" but you've got everything right. You get stuck at the same point I do. the 400x should be more than adequate (ie the 7D can't write faster than that so it makes no difference to it whether you have a 400x or 1000x in the camera) Hopefully Neuro does come along and has some hands on experience using either one and firing off some 15-20 or 30 shot bursts.

Upvote 0
DarkKnightNine said:

I'm using those very same in my 1D X 5DMKIII and 7D and works perfectly and are crazy fast. I can take 59 full size RAW photos on the 1DX at full speed before it start to buffer... And it empty the buffer in 8 seconds or less.

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2011
These prices are insane. I can buy the 32GB version from B&H and have it shipped here to New Zealand for well under half the price of buying it locally. Adorama sells it for slightly less, but their international shipping is more expensive.

jmanley said:
Why don't they make a 1000x 8gb card. I hate to shoot larger at weddings in case a card dies. I don't like to have that many files on 1 card!
That's where you should use the SD card slot in your 5D3 as a backup.

Upvote 0
DarkKnightNine said:
Lexar 1000x are the fastest memory cards you can use on modern Canon SLRs.

I hope to see 64GB Lexar 1000x at the price of 32GB cards by year's end. ;D

Upvote 0
I bought a 16GB 1000x last week at the previous price.
I live chatted with B&H and asked for a price readjustment.
They gave me a refund for $49.56 in 2 minutes.
I must mention though that I had a Lexar Professional 16GB CF card die on me 2 weeks ago. I lost 400 photos and
Without a way to recover them. I tried every software I have, even Lexar sent me a free imageRescue 3 (the card comes with version 4) to no avail.
Lexar will do a FREE data recovery at their Labs and send me a replacement card at no charge along with the recovered files. They say it may take 4 to 6 weeks...
I hope the price drop is not a sign that the cards are bad.
I find them twice as fast as the Sandisk extreme pro's. And super fast on my 1D X...

Upvote 0
Irishpanther said:

The 7D will not see any speedup or gain from these cards. Performance with SanDisk Extreme (60MB/s), SandDisk Extreme Pro (90MB/s) and the Lexar 1000x (150MB/sec) all turn in the same level of performance. The 7D cannot take advantage of UDMA-7, so the Lexar 1000x is of no benefit for shooting.

I have an 5D3, 5D2, and a 7D, only the 5D3 sees the difference due to it being able to use the UDMA-7 interface. And it's a significant difference as I noted earlier.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.