BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Tron I wish I could say yes. I started shooting eagles in H G with the 6D for better IQ but quickly realized that for BIF the 1D4 speed and great AF was more important. I have no doubt the 1DX2 would have helped but mainly with IQ since I wasn't too handicapped in other respects.

Monte, V nice. I observed what you shot many times and did get some shots but typically they were too far away. It was a real treat to be in the midst of eagles and I envy folk who live where these magnificent birds are relatively common; just think not many years back they were endangered.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
lion rock said:
Just nice!
-r

Click said:
Ryananthony said:
A few more shots from today.

Very nice series. Well done, Ryananthony.

Yes v nice. Funny, in my limited exposure of about one month I never saw the eagles fighting over food. On the ground they just waited in line very politely. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Beautiful ryananthony. I have been reading all the stuff about the superiority of Nikon for BIF instead of logging to my favourite threads. It does seem that we can squeeze something out of our inadequate gear, or at least you can.

I've now looked at their exifs. Which of the 150-600mms are you using?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the very kind words everyone. I appreciate it.

Jack Douglas said:
Yes v nice. Funny, in my limited exposure of about one month I never saw the eagles fighting over food. On the ground they just waited in line very politely. :)

Jack

Proof that not all canadians (birds) are as polite as people think. :)

AlanF said:
Beautiful ryananthony. I have been reading all the stuff about the superiority of Nikon for BIF instead of logging to my favourite threads. It does seem that we can squeeze something out of our inadequate gear, or at least you can.

I've now looked at their exifs. Which of the 150-600mms are you using?

Thank you. Funny enough, Im picking up a D500 and 300PF this weekend, in hopes it will be a very small packaged birding set up for the wife. Also to test the Nikon waters (no relation to this Artie thread) perhaps I will share a few Nikon images in the coming months.

As to your question, I am using the Sigma Contemporary. Over all I enjoy, but the image stabilizer is not very good.

Monte said:
Awesome Ryan, is there a forth Eagle in that mix up? trying to figure out the one tail feather set and wing coming down out of the mix up. Stunning shot!

I only remembered three, but you're right, the tail feather looks very strange, and caused me to double check. Turns out they are pretty flexible.
1DX_6113 by Ryan Kelly, on Flickr

Upvote 0