The last one made the AF work hard!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
cervantes said:
@TrabimanUK, candyman: Sure can - but this is gonna be a longer post. I also have to check on how I did it exactly on these shots that I posted.

I could probably create a new topic on how to configure the 5D3 for really fast action in a couple of days if some more people are interested.
Sure more people are interested. Thanks for your effort

Upvote 0
Even though I'm primarily a portrait shooter, the birding threads here on CR have really ramped up my interest in bird photography. Very timely thread here as yesterday I went out with the intent of trying to figure out how to capture BIF. Granted my longest lens is the 70-200 2.8L II so not optimal. But this waterside park has lots of waterfowl that are used to people so I thought I'd stand a decent chance of getting something of reasonable scale.

I'm happy with this shot. Sadly, I went through about 500 failed frames in order to get it. I would really appreciate some advice on 5D III AF setup and technique for BIF photography.

Here are a couple more that are not necessarily the classical BIF shot that the OP might have envisioned by they are BIF none the less.

3. (Previously posted in the other birding thread)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

TrabimanUK

In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
Sep 19, 2013
Bristol, England
cervantes said:
I could probably create a new topic on how to configure the 5D3 for really fast action in a couple of days if some more people are interested.

Yes please Cervantes! It would be useful for fast moving wildlife full stop. :)

I shoot animals more than birds, but always practice on birds as they move more quickly and more randomly, and am thining of upgrading from my current array of cameras, and the 5Diii is definitely becoming a camera of interest for me.

Upvote 0
cervantes said:
@TrabimanUK, candyman: Sure can - but this is gonna be a longer post. I also have to check on how I did it exactly on these shots that I posted.

Yes please!!! My main interest up until now is portraiture so I've been stuck in single shot, single AF point mode for a long time. I've fiddled with AI Servo once or twice and been through Canon's AF guide but I still have no idea on where to start. I fired off 500+ frames yesterday trying to get a decent BIF and came away with only about 5 keepers. Most of the time I couldn't get the initial lock on. I tried Case 1, 4, 5, and 6 in their default configuration.

Upvote 0