BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

A Yellow Crowned Night Heron back from a Nest Depot run.
TRV24002-4K.jpg

R5 600 II w/1.4X 1/2500 : f/6.3 : ISO 1250

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
North America doesn't have House Martins. These are very, very fast moving, erratic flying small members of the swallow family who are perpetually on the move. I saw some this afternoon under rather difficult conditions of their being against a background for most of the time and the light was overcast. But, the AF and tracking of the R5 was amazing and the 100-500mm was light enough for my slow reflexes to move quickly. The second one is amusing as the bird is swallowing an insect.

_09A8281-DxO_house_martin_flying_1SH-sm.jpg_09A8287-DxO_house_martin_flying_1_mouth_open_SH-sm.jpg_09A8290-DxO_house_martin_flying_1_SH-sm.jpg_09A8328-DxO_house_martin_flying_side_1_SH-sm.jpg_09A8329-DxO_house_martin_flying_back_1_SH-sm.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
North America doesn't have House Martins. These are very, very fast moving, erratic flying small members of the swallow family...
But, the AF and tracking of the R5 was amazing and the 100-500mm was light enough for my slow reflexes to move quickly.
Kudos!
Not only to tracking of the R5 but much more to your tracking abilities.
I can tell, because I've tried myself - on both, house martins as well as barn swallows.

The fourth one, swooping, is my favorite.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
North America doesn't have House Martins. These are very, very fast moving, erratic flying small members of the swallow family who are perpetually on the move. I saw some this afternoon under rather difficult conditions of their being against a background for most of the time and the light was overcast. But, the AF and tracking of the R5 was amazing and the 100-500mm was light enough for my slow reflexes to move quickly. The second one is amusing as the bird is swallowing an insect.

View attachment 198506View attachment 198507View attachment 198508View attachment 198509View attachment 198510
I NEVER succeeded in taking one (even) unsharp picture of these little birds !

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Here is a hummingbird series I took with the R5, electronic shutter (20fps). Virtually all the shots were in focus (a series of about 40-50 shots), so the following are a representative few. What I found most impressive was not the camera but that I got these shots with my 70-200 at 200mm and f/2.8. My backyard is a touch on the dark side, so I wanted to see what I could get with f/2.8. With a bit of patience, I was able to get close enough (or more accurately, let the bird get close enough to me) for these shots. Hummers2--3.jpgHummers2--4.jpgHummers2--13.jpgHummers2--15.jpgHummers2--18.jpgHummers2--19.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Here is a hummingbird series I took with the R5, electronic shutter (20fps). Virtually all the shots were in focus (a series of about 40-50 shots), so the following are a representative few. What I found most impressive was not the camera but that I got these shots with my 70-200 at 200mm and f/2.8. My backyard is a touch on the dark side, so I wanted to see what I could get with f/2.8. With a bit of patience, I was able to get close enough (or more accurately, let the bird get close enough to me) for these shots. View attachment 198727View attachment 198728View attachment 198729View attachment 198730View attachment 198731View attachment 198732
Lovely shots, and I am so jealous because we don't have hummers in Merry England.

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Here is a hummingbird series I took with the R5, electronic shutter (20fps). Virtually all the shots were in focus (a series of about 40-50 shots), so the following are a representative few. What I found most impressive was not the camera but that I got these shots with my 70-200 at 200mm and f/2.8. My backyard is a touch on the dark side, so I wanted to see what I could get with f/2.8. With a bit of patience, I was able to get close enough (or more accurately, let the bird get close enough to me) for these shots. View attachment 198727View attachment 198728View attachment 198729View attachment 198730View attachment 198731View attachment 198732
Nice series Billybob!

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Here is a hummingbird series I took with the R5, electronic shutter (20fps). Virtually all the shots were in focus (a series of about 40-50 shots), so the following are a representative few. What I found most impressive was not the camera but that I got these shots with my 70-200 at 200mm and f/2.8. My backyard is a touch on the dark side, so I wanted to see what I could get with f/2.8. With a bit of patience, I was able to get close enough (or more accurately, let the bird get close enough to me) for these shots.
Brilliant shots, lovely series. And I really appreciate seeing the hummingbird at a natural blossom instead of a feeder - though I can understand the latter, too.
Beautiful, really beautiful.
And thank you for the info about gear and technique (though we don't have hummers in Germany).

Upvote 0

Billybob

May 22, 2016
Thanks all!

I didn't realize HBs were so scarce in Northern Europe. It makes me appreciate the ruby-throated HB (the only HB that I've seen in this part of Florida), which I had started to take for granted. I'm going to California next month. Hopefully I'll see other species there.

Brilliant shots, lovely series. And I really appreciate seeing the hummingbird at a natural blossom instead of a feeder - though I can understand the latter, too.
Beautiful, really beautiful.
And thank you for the info about gear and technique (though we don't have hummers in Germany).
I actually tried feeders, but the HBs prefer nature blossoms. My wife is an accomplished gardener, which brings lots of species (mostly insects) to the yard. Since I haven't traveled much lately (who has?), her work is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... HBs were so scarce in Northern Europe...
Billybob, they're not scarce. We don't have any anywhere in Europe. HBs live only in northern, mid and south america. That's it! :oops:

We "only" have the hummingbird hawk-moth which I also like to photograph but didn't succeed yet ;)

My wife is an accomplished gardener, which brings lots of species (mostly insects) to the yard. Since I haven't traveled much lately (who has?), her work is greatly appreciated.
Please say "thank you" to her, as she makes it possible for us to see such great pictures from you (y)

Upvote 0

Billybob

May 22, 2016
Billybob, they're not scarce. We don't have any anywhere in Europe. HBs live only in northern, mid and south america. That's it! :oops:

We "only" have the hummingbird hawk-moth which I also like to photograph but didn't succeed yet ;)

Please say "thank you" to her, as she makes it possible for us to see such great pictures from you (y)
Well you do have the common kingfisher--which are far more beautiful than the belted kingfisher seen here in N.A.--and other beautiful species. I know I'm not suppose to post insects in this forum, but the hummingbird hawk-moth is a beautiful striking "almost bird" that has fooled many--myself included--into thinking that it was a hummingbird.

Again, Michele's garden is responsible for attracting this lovely creature. I will pass on your thanks to her.
HB Moth-.jpgHB Moth--3.jpgHB Moth--2.jpgHB Moth-7764.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Well you do have the common kingfisher--which are far more beautiful than the belted kingfisher seen here in N.A.--and other beautiful species. I know I'm not suppose to post insects in this forum, but the hummingbird hawk-moth is a beautiful striking "almost bird" that has fooled many--myself included--into thinking that it was a hummingbird.

Again, Michele's garden is responsible for attracting this lovely creature. I will pass on your thanks to her.
View attachment 198743View attachment 198742View attachment 198741View attachment 198744
Nice series. Looks close enough to be a bird if you ask me!

Upvote 0