Birdsasart migrates to Nikon

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm inclined to think PBD has a valid point. However, as humans we do have lapses and it's kind of sad that all the positives have to become suspect due to a brief lapse (but is it a lapse). A brief lapse can lead to a drunk driving death etc. As a result, right or wrong, we do pay close attention to the things that are out of character and they do result in us being much less trusting. More so than before, I will be taking Artie's comments with a grain of salt at least in certain realms.

I can say with absolute assurance and personal knowledge that he had close to zero interest in learning the new AF capabilities of the 1DX2. I don't want to take time to search it out but I posted to his blog and the proof of what I'm now saying is there (a few months back). At that time I was taken aback and described to my wife that I thought he was becoming very stagnant with old age - just like me!! ;)

Such juicy gossip for us bunch of mostly males. :)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
I'm inclined to think PBD has a valid point. However, as humans we do have lapses and it's kind of sad that all the positives have to become suspect due to a brief lapse (but is it a lapse). A brief lapse can lead to a drunk driving death etc. As a result, right or wrong, we do pay close attention to the things that are out of character and they do result in us being much less trusting. More so than before, I will be taking Artie's comments with a grain of salt at least in certain realms.

I can say with absolute assurance and personal knowledge that he had close to zero interest in learning the new AF capabilities of the 1DX2. I don't want to take time to search it out but I posted to his blog and the proof of what I'm now saying is there (a few months back). At that time I was taken aback and described to my wife that I thought he was becoming very stagnant with old age - just like me!! ;)

Jack

Jack, as you know the latest AF systems are nearly infinitely customizable, everybody that wants the AF to match their personal shooting requirements just has to take the time to learn it, fiddle with it even at the expense of missed photos, and get it dialed in to their personal needs and response times. Anybody that bucks that or wants an 'out of the box' solution leaves 90% of the capability of the AF systems, Canon or Nikon, on the table.

I must be honest and say the 1DX MkII was the first camera I have had with this level of AF adjustment and even after using Canon AF since 2004 I was overwhelmed with the options. I looked around for explanations, 'Case' settings and tutorials. Via CR and YouTube I found Grant Atkins' AF setup videos where he puts the three variables onto a custom menu and adjusts values per event in real time. Made a ton of sense and now I am happy with my AF.

People who don't take that time to learn a new system are foolish, people that sell their knowledge in books and via workshops that refuse to learn new stuff are charlatans and snake oil salesmen.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
NancyP said:
Another good reason for Art to switch is that he may be seeing more Nikon users in his workshops, and he finds that he needs to be current on fine points of Nikon cameras and lenses in his genre of photography.

If that were the truth it would be perfectly logical, Matt Granger (That Nikon Guy) bought, and has now sold, a complete Canon outfit with just that mindset, but that wasn't how this change was framed. He said he was switching because the Nikon was capable of a specific image the Canon equivalent wasn't, which by his own posting history is demonstrably false.

I take great exception to that kind of lie. When people in a position of influence blatantly lie, for whatever reason, I instantly mistrust everything they have ever said. That software he recommended? Wouldn't look at it now. The overpriced cart to wheel his gear around? No, I don't respect his judgement or know his true motives.

Zero credibility.

I agree with you. I don't know how he thought he could pass off that lie. "Here's a photo only a Nikon could make ... blah ... blah ... blah." He thinks people are dumb enough to believe that.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Yes, lots of gossip we all love to read. I do agree it was hasty of him to sell tens of thousands of dollars worth of Canon gear after using a Nikon for five minutes. I'm grateful to his website, I was able to find a great 200-400 on there used for a decent price. I wish him well with getting lots more artful bird pictures.

Proverbs 20:19
A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid anyone who talks too much.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
arthurbikemad said:
Oil and dust, I hate to be the bearer of bad news for Art but Nikon suffer the same issues, only difference is Nikon do nothing about it.

Quite the contrary...when the problem gains sufficient notoriety, Nikon graciously allows you to buy the new model they release in which the problem is corrected. ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

I remember that discussion you mention and I made the same sort of comment about button assignments and got the same response.
Art readily admits he has been cantankerous sod for his whole adult life and has never liked being proved wrong, and also admits that is why he started following one of the life-skills gurus to try and change this attitude.
I guess getting new kit gives a new mindset and you willingly learn things on new kit that you did not think were necessary on the old kit because you convinced yourself you had mastered it.

Upvote 0
Sorry, didn't have time to read all the posts.

But I remember a few years ago reading one of his reviews, it might have been the 7D II or the 5Ds R.
He made comments about he he wasn't a BIF guy and he wasn't physically up to it.
So it seems he went a different way.

I have read several of Morris's reviews and honestly they were more sales pitch than review. I think this is the same thing with a new boss.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Jack, as you know the latest AF systems are nearly infinitely customizable, everybody that wants the AF to match their personal shooting requirements just has to take the time to learn it, fiddle with it even at the expense of missed photos, and get it dialed in to their personal needs and response times. Anybody that bucks that or wants an 'out of the box' solution leaves 90% of the capability of the AF systems, Canon or Nikon, on the table.

I must be honest and say the 1DX MkII was the first camera I have had with this level of AF adjustment and even after using Canon AF since 2004 I was overwhelmed with the options. I looked around for explanations, 'Case' settings and tutorials. Via CR and YouTube I found Grant Atkins' AF setup videos where he puts the three variables onto a custom menu and adjusts values per event in real time. Made a ton of sense and now I am happy with my AF.

People who don't take that time to learn a new system are foolish, people that sell their knowledge in books and via workshops that refuse to learn new stuff are charlatans and snake oil salesmen.

You seem to have sort of grudge against him as some of your contentions are a bit over the top. That being said I don't follow him, but have watched a couple of his videos through B&H. I thought the lady in one of them had better photos than Art. I find navigating his blog annoying so I haven't spent more than 10 minutes there. He changed so be it. I am not sure why people take it personally. Yes the line about the pelican photo was over the top, but considering the times we are living in it was pretty insignificant.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Lots of life lessons to be learned if all aspects of these discussions are mulled over. We can all be better in more than just photography. I give Artie full credit for recognizing a need (interpersonal) and trying to deal with it. Just as I give full credit to some of our members who try hard to tone it down, without mentioning names of course. ;) :)

To think I was almost ready to sell all my Canon gear only three days ago. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
takesome1 said:
Sorry, didn't have time to read all the posts.

But I remember a few years ago reading one of his reviews, it might have been the 7D II or the 5Ds R.
He made comments about he he wasn't a BIF guy and he wasn't physically up to it.
So it seems he went a different way.

I have read several of Morris's reviews and honestly they were more sales pitch than review. I think this is the same thing with a new boss.

The site is highly promotional - - and in desperate need of a makeover. It looks like a 90's website.

Upvote 0
With such huge investment at stake and the learning curve you'd think that a pro tog would take the plunge and buy the Nikon while still owning the Canon gear, then at least you have a choice what one to sell in case it all goes wrong, here in the UK Wex for example would even refund it im sure if you felt it was a no go. Also I do wonder with all these complex comparison sites of IQ and DR that no one has devised a simple working test for high speed AF, surely a simple device that fires a ball or rubber chicken ;) can be constructed so AF can be assessed in a more controlled environment maybe then we can shout off how good one v the other is in this regard.

And yeah, that website, oh dear, reminds me of this:- http://www.arngren.net or https://www.lingscars.com hahaha

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
reef58, I am a relative newcomer to DSLRs and far from an expert. However, I do try hard to be as good as I can and I find it disappointing when someone who is influencing many folk in their photography purchases is not interested in keeping up. I have no right, nor do I care to force anyone to follow my advice relative to 1DX2 AF. However, if I hear of somewhat ignorant criticisms and I know there is a better way, I'm generous in offering what little I can. The 1DX2 ergonomics are not perfect but they still are mind-bogging amazing.

I have absolutely no axe to grind with Artie and in fact I commend him for many positives. Who am I to suggest that a professional photographer with decades of experience should follow my advice! I just thought he'd be interested in knowing.

I heard about BB focus a couple years back and tried it. Ugh, this is tricky, why bother. Then I heard more praise of it and said to myself if I'm going to improve I need to persevere. Now it's trivial and it opens all sorts of options because with the 1DX2 you can have up to 3 buttons functioning as BBs and instantly change AF modes and also the almost complete setup of the camera including shutter speed, without barely thinking, in an instant. Think BIF against blue sky following a stationary shot in the trees.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ethanz, I'd love to have helped you out but somehow I always get cold feet and tell myself I have to be satisfied with the crummy Canon gear I have (stupid Canon). Worse yet, I go and buy more of it.

One thing, Artie should be praised for selling his gear at more than reasonable prices. Hopefully, some folk got gear they really couldn't afford.

Jack

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Jack Douglas said:
ethanz, I'd love to have helped you out but somehow I always get cold feet and tell myself I have to be satisfied with the crummy Canon gear I have (stupid Canon). Worse yet, I go and buy more of it.

One thing, Artie should be praised for selling his gear at more than reasonable prices. Hopefully, some folk got gear they really couldn't afford.

Jack

I was looking at his gear for sale and was tempted, but I really don't need anything more right now. lol

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ethanz, people had to act quickly as it was a total surprise. Quite intriguing.

tron, I think we all see quite a few puzzling/contradictory statements and like you I'll be really curious to see what unfolds over the next year or two. Artie has gone out of his way to present an image of being balanced in spite of making a few assertions that are not. For me it's just entertainment, a diversion, including how all of us react to such news.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
tron said:
The very fact that Arash is changing to Nikon (he is selling his 600 II) while he takes superb flight photos with his Canon equipment says all I need to be certain that there is more to this change that what it is said.

In what way?
Just because you can take excellent shots with one bit of gear does not mean you can't improve with another.
Are you saying the Nikon AF is definitely not superior to the Canon AF?

If he is being sponsored by Nikon, there are three propositions:
he would switch to Nikon anyway for its superior AF and while he is doing so takes advantage of Nikon's generosity (as would you I am sure - I certainly would);
there is no difference in AF and he is changing simply to get free gear
Nikon is inferior and he is moving anyway, sacrificing everything he has aimed for these last years simply for free gear

I favour the first. You?

Upvote 0