Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
AlanF said:
99% skill? You missed out luck.

You are absolutely right :)

Luck should definitely be in that 99%. It's more important than the camera body by a thousand-fold, lol.

Though, at the end of the day, luck averages out into perseverance. In other words, luck helps you get some great shots in a little time, or punishes you with no good shots in a whole afternoon. But if you spend enough time at it, it does averages out (and we do all get a little better at it, I think!). Presuming that you shoot in spots where you get many opportunities to photograph the bird that you want to get photos of... with enough time, even the unlucky get some great shots.

Anyways, nobody is unlucky enough that after DECADES, they can't get a picture of a pelican taking flight :D And if they are that unlucky their wife should buy lots of life insurance, hehehe

Upvote 0
Refurb7 said:
Canon dumped Mr. Morris some time ago, so his changing brands is clearly no "big issue" at all. I don't know about the other guy. The D5 has been out for two years already. If it were significantly better, there would have been a lot more switchers by now.

They "dumped" him as a canon ambassdor of light (whatever that means). Still Art Morris continued to use and promote Canon equipment for years (as I understand the blog). He made a number of bird photography youtube videos with canon for instance.
Between the flagships 1DX II and D5 may be less a difference than between 5DIV - D850 or 7DII - D500. And these are the cameras that do matter more in the market for wildlife photography.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
bholliman said:
I hadn't thought of that angle, but there certainly could be financial motivation. Hopefully, his switch is driven by an honest need for a system that performs better at what he needs it for and not revenue from click-through purchases...

I don't think his switch was motivated by the chance to increase traffic on his blog, but Artie has long been a 'shiny new toys' man and every model he buys is amazing. He rapidly went from the 5D3 to 7D2 to 5DSR to 5DIV and each was the best birding camera. It is the classic behaviour of an obsessive person and for years he has been saying he did not shoot birds in flight regularly and that the 1Dx2 was too big for him at his age - and here he is selling all Canon gear specifically to buy a BIF rig and with a D5 to boot. I have for ages always taken his gear-related comments with a pinch of salt but in the case of the Nikon his comments certainly mirror a lot of others I have read from other people.
Artie's preference has always been for behavioural shots, and once the BIF thing calms down I wonder if he will return to type and, when he does the comments he is already making about AF challenges will start to gripe.

I note that Arash has kept a couple of big lenses to evaluate future Canon bodies so he seems to be keeping his options open, and willing to accept the pendulum may swing again.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Talys said:
AlanF said:
99% skill? You missed out luck.

You are absolutely right :)

Luck should definitely be in that 99%. It's more important than the camera body by a thousand-fold, lol.

Though, at the end of the day, luck averages out into perseverance. In other words, luck helps you get some great shots in a little time, or punishes you with no good shots in a whole afternoon. But if you spend enough time at it, it does averages out (and we do all get a little better at it, I think!). Presuming that you shoot in spots where you get many opportunities to photograph the bird that you want to get photos of... with enough time, even the unlucky get some great shots.

Anyways, nobody is unlucky enough that after DECADES, they can't get a picture of a pelican taking flight :D And if they are that unlucky their wife should buy lots of life insurance, hehehe

There was a very great scientist called Emil Fischer (1902 Nobel Prize for Chemistry). He would ask each applicant to work with him the question: Are you a lucky person? There are some people who, on the other hand, should take your advice about life insurance.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Mikehit said:
I note that Arash has kept a couple of big lenses to evaluate future Canon bodies so he seems to be keeping his options open, and willing to accept the pendulum may swing again.

He is keeping one, and that is so he can keep selling his guides rather than return:
"I am keeping one of my Canon super-telephoto lenses to try out future Canon bodies so I can keep the BIF guide up to date. ...... Both Arthur Morris and I remain fully committed to updating and improving these guides with a new edition every year."
And he is now promising to write Nikon guides. http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/switch-to-the-dark-side/

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
AlanF said:
Mikehit said:

He is keeping one, and that is so he can keep selling his guides rather than return:
"I am keeping one of my Canon super-telephoto lenses to try out future Canon bodies so I can keep the BIF guide up to date. ...... Both Arthur Morris and I remain fully committed to updating and improving these guides with a new edition every year."
And he is now promising to write Nikon guides. http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/switch-to-the-dark-side/

At 40$ a pop he would have to sell an awful lot of copies to offset not selling a big white :)
I understand the cynicism about Artie's switch but when Ari (and others like Doug Brown) switches you have to really take note.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Mikehit said:
AlanF said:
Mikehit said:

At 40$ a pop he would have to sell an awful lot of copies to offset not selling a big white :)
I understand the cynicism about Artie's switch but when Ari (and others like Doug Brown) switches you have to really take note.

Do you know what deals are going on behind the scenes? I don't know. How many of these guides get sold? Just a thousand nets $40,000 gross.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
MikeH
I bought the 400mm DO II after much deliberation, finally swayed by Ari Hazeghi's blog on his experiences after a year of use in the field and its rave write for BIF hand held. It's difficult to imagine his giving it up and selling as it as Nikon has a gap in its line up. I wonder if we are suddenly going to see a Nikon 400mm f/4E PF ED VR. I hope they sort out the VR unlike on Nikon 300mm f/4E PF ED VR.

I couldn't give up a light 400mm f/4.

http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/one-year-with-ef-400-do-is-ii/#comment-2328
(had to google to find it)

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
AlanF said:

Thanks for the link. Whereas Art's premise was that he shot with Nikon Jan 20 and by Jan 24 was selling off his Canon gear, Ari makes it sound more deliberate, something he heard over a period of time, started testing last summer, etc. So, perhaps Art is more of following Ari?

Also, that link is a bit more clear, Ari seems to feel that Nikon's AF is better at the "Top 5%" most difficult situations. Both are making statements of other top BIF photographers that are making the switch. I love that stuff, the infamous "others" argument. I haven't heard of others making this switch, wondering if our BIF people on this forum had?

But, I think a little skepticism here is more than fair. If you take a step back and look at this and ask some basic questions, this move makes sense for them. A few examples: was Art hurt about the Explorers of Light, this makes sense, and his first two paragraphs explaining the switch were about EOL; Will this help drive business both as click through sales and more guide books, this decision makes sense and should drive more sales; Could this be ego driven and wanting attention from Nikon/Canon, another resounding this makes sense; Emotionally driven in maybe wanting attention, to be relevant or even bored, etc, another resounding this action makes sense. I could go on.

So, there could be something too this and in certain ways Nikon has surpassed Canon's top end AF system. Thinking back, a few reviewers have gushed about the D5 AF system, even in comparison to the 1DXII. But this switch could also makes sense in a lot of other ways. So, bring on these "Top 5%" shots that they can now get. I wish them well and that they have great luck with their new gear. I'll be keeping mine, but always am curious about how the market is evolving.

Upvote 0
LDS said:
arthurbikemad said:
There is no question in my mind its all about money/sponsor.

In some countries, if you are paid (or obtain any other pay-like advantages) to use and promote stuff you have to disclose it explicitly, every time. That's the right thing to do.

I do wonder what the truth is with these kind of things.

I know some well known video bloggers, certain things online have been the best thing since sliced bread (free items that were submitted for review), but then, in private chat, not... I am sure all that's said is true, but the real truth is, only a few will know for sure and the rest will only be left guessing.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
AlanF said:
Mikehit said:
AlanF said:
Mikehit said:

Do you know what deals are going on behind the scenes? I don't know. How many of these guides get sold? Just a thousand nets $40,000 gross.

Behind the scenes deals - in Art's case you can always ask, but when it comes to Arash who values image quality above everything I find it hard to believe he would switch for the sake of cheap gear if Nikon was sub-(Canon)standard. People tend to lose sight of that in these discussions.

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
geonix said:
Ari Hazeghi and Arthur Morris changing brand should be a big issue at Canon.
Two well-known wildlife photographers who acknowledge the AF superiority Nikon has gained in the last years.
Some already suppose other reasons than technical issues, but I have no reason to think that way.

So let's hope Canon finally realizes that their product lines do not only compete among themselves, but also with other brands. Sadly, even if they did and would like to do something about it, it will take a long time I guess.

The only reason you have no reason is that you haven't been following blogs and picking up the fine points. I started to notice something back when Artie was so annoyed he didn't get a new 1DX2 because of the oil spots and then stated he would just sell it anyway. You or I would never get a new 1DX2 due to spots, maybe a free cleaning.

I have no problem with the Nikon being better, with him switching or any of it and maybe it will in fact catch Canon's attention. I hope so too.

Still, it's just idle gossip that adds a little life to CR and my comments are added in that context because it's Artie's business not mine.

Jack

Jack, I agree with your perspective and it sounds like you, more than most, have actual experience in the field with this equipment. I only expanded my photography focus to wildlife (mainly birds) and BIF over the past few years as my gear has matched my aspirations. I don't use a 1DXMarkII so can't comment on what I am sure is an excellent focusing system, but I can comment that Canon's focusing system on other cameras is lacking for fast moving action. I am often in position to capture compelling BIF and takeoff pictures and 99.9% of the time miss a keeper shot. The results are soft and the systems is constantly confused or loses focus on the original subject I was locked on. I keep trying, but get frustrated with how many failed attempts I get. I have a friend with a D5 and the 200-400 w extender Nikon and I will have to take him out with me so we can do some side by side comparisons on comparable equipment.

I have been in the market for a wildlife/bird rig for some time. I have considered the 1DXMarkII and was awaiting the 7DMarkIII. The 1DXII had so many problems that I decided to pass. The 7DIII is very appealing with crop sensor and new focusing system but now appears a year off. I can easily swap out my lenses with little loss of value and invest in a Nikon for a dedicated rig. I also shoot a lot of landscape and if Canon doesn't dramatically improve DR in their next upgrade cycle it will be another nail in the coffin.

Canon glass has always kept me loyal, but at some point the processor and focusing systems driving that glass need to keep up.

Upvote 0
geonix said:
Refurb7 said:
Canon dumped Mr. Morris some time ago, so his changing brands is clearly no "big issue" at all. I don't know about the other guy. The D5 has been out for two years already. If it were significantly better, there would have been a lot more switchers by now.

They "dumped" him as a canon ambassdor of light (whatever that means). Still Art Morris continued to use and promote Canon equipment for years (as I understand the blog). He made a number of bird photography youtube videos with canon for instance.
Between the flagships 1DX II and D5 may be less a difference than between 5DIV - D850 or 7DII - D500. And these are the cameras that do matter more in the market for wildlife photography.

I have followed Art's blog for years and you are correct, he has been a Canon lover for a long time. Many would accuse him of being a Canon fanboy. I doubt this move is borne of sponsorship switch, but a real observation in the field that one system has distanced itself from another system. Sad. I will watch his work and observations closely to see how his views evolve. He is extremely transparent and detailed in his descriptions and opinions.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Robbie, the 5DIV has very capable AF, significantly better than that of the 5DIII, which in turn is better than the 7DII. But, glass is important. I got good rates of keepers with the 100-400mm II with all three bodies, and with the 400mm DO II and the 5DIV a very high rate. So far, with the Tamron 100-400mm, I have had little success with 5DIV.

Technique is very important. I am not that fast so I like a wide field of view: 400mm on FF, sometimes 560mm; and no more than 400mm on crop - best to leave the TCs in the bag to maximise AF speed for me. I also prefer to use no more than the centre 9 points and for slower birds just the centre point. If you want to have better tracking then remember that a minus (-) setting in the menu gives that. Ari Hazeghi, on the other hand, is a real pro and can even handhold a 600mm f/4 (he doesn't use tripods) and get shots that I could never get on any system.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
Another good reason for Art to switch is that he may be seeing more Nikon users in his workshops, and he finds that he needs to be current on fine points of Nikon cameras and lenses in his genre of photography.

At any rate, I just dropped a few hundred dollars on natural history and ecology books for an upcoming trip to an unfamiliar-to-me rainforest ecosystem, and expect to be studying up for the next two months. I suspect that (plus getting back in BIF shape by practicing on anything that flies) will get me more keepers using the old cheapo Canon gear than would an update to new Canon or Nikon gear and no mental preparation. Well, maybe updating to IS from non-IS might be a big help too...... ;D

Now if the Nikon system can detect and focus on bird EYES - that would be a killer AF system!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
NancyP said:
Another good reason for Art to switch is that he may be seeing more Nikon users in his workshops, and he finds that he needs to be current on fine points of Nikon cameras and lenses in his genre of photography.

If that were the truth it would be perfectly logical, Matt Granger (That Nikon Guy) bought, and has now sold, a complete Canon outfit with just that mindset, but that wasn't how this change was framed. He said he was switching because the Nikon was capable of a specific image the Canon equivalent wasn't, which by his own posting history is demonstrably false.

I take great exception to that kind of lie. When people in a position of influence blatantly lie, for whatever reason, I instantly mistrust everything they have ever said. That software he recommended? Wouldn't look at it now. The overpriced cart to wheel his gear around? No, I don't respect his judgement or know his true motives.

Zero credibility.

Upvote 0
RobbieHat said:
Jack Douglas said:
geonix said:
Ari Hazeghi and Arthur Morris changing brand should be a big issue at Canon.
Two well-known wildlife photographers who acknowledge the AF superiority Nikon has gained in the last years.
Some already suppose other reasons than technical issues, but I have no reason to think that way.

So let's hope Canon finally realizes that their product lines do not only compete among themselves, but also with other brands. Sadly, even if they did and would like to do something about it, it will take a long time I guess.

The only reason you have no reason is that you haven't been following blogs and picking up the fine points. I started to notice something back when Artie was so annoyed he didn't get a new 1DX2 because of the oil spots and then stated he would just sell it anyway. You or I would never get a new 1DX2 due to spots, maybe a free cleaning.

I have no problem with the Nikon being better, with him switching or any of it and maybe it will in fact catch Canon's attention. I hope so too.

Still, it's just idle gossip that adds a little life to CR and my comments are added in that context because it's Artie's business not mine.

Jack

Jack, I agree with your perspective and it sounds like you, more than most, have actual experience in the field with this equipment. I only expanded my photography focus to wildlife (mainly birds) and BIF over the past few years as my gear has matched my aspirations. I don't use a 1DXMarkII so can't comment on what I am sure is an excellent focusing system, but I can comment that Canon's focusing system on other cameras is lacking for fast moving action. I am often in position to capture compelling BIF and takeoff pictures and 99.9% of the time miss a keeper shot. The results are soft and the systems is constantly confused or loses focus on the original subject I was locked on. I keep trying, but get frustrated with how many failed attempts I get. I have a friend with a D5 and the 200-400 w extender Nikon and I will have to take him out with me so we can do some side by side comparisons on comparable equipment.

I have been in the market for a wildlife/bird rig for some time. I have considered the 1DXMarkII and was awaiting the 7DMarkIII. The 1DXII had so many problems that I decided to pass. The 7DIII is very appealing with crop sensor and new focusing system but now appears a year off. I can easily swap out my lenses with little loss of value and invest in a Nikon for a dedicated rig. I also shoot a lot of landscape and if Canon doesn't dramatically improve DR in their next upgrade cycle it will be another nail in the coffin.

Canon glass has always kept me loyal, but at some point the processor and focusing systems driving that glass need to keep up.

Out of interest what problems?

Oil and dust, I hate to be the bearer of bad news for Art but Nikon suffer the same issues, only difference is Nikon do nothing about it.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
RobbieHat said:
I have followed Art's blog for years and you are correct, he has been a Canon lover for a long time. Many would accuse him of being a Canon fanboy. I doubt this move is borne of sponsorship switch, but a real observation in the field that one system has distanced itself from another system. Sad. I will watch his work and observations closely to see how his views evolve. He is extremely transparent and detailed in his descriptions and opinions.

An observation few agree with? How do you know how transparent he is when he is clearly very happy to be, at best, disingenuous?

Upvote 0