OM Systems to announced the OM-1 II and two lenses on January 30, 2024

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like OM Systems may be the first to announce new products ahead of CP+ in February. It looks like they’ll be announcing a camera body and a couple of lenses. OM Systems OM-1 II OM Systems 150-600mm f/5-6.3 OM Systems M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm f/4-5.6 II Source: 43rumors

See full article...

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
It is about the highest density sensor on the market and has been for nearly 5 years. Even for the current sensor it is possible the improvements were more about software/interpolation than about actual improvement in sensor technology.
Oh, my mistake. I was thinking of their mid-level cameras. The OM-1 does have a new sensor.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It is about the highest density sensor on the market and has been for nearly 5 years. Even for the current sensor it is possible the improvements were more about software/interpolation than about actual improvement in sensor technology.
It’s the same density as the M6II/R7 sensor and the Fuji 40MP APS-C sensor beats it. Those are not stacked, however.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
It’s the same density as the M6II/R7 sensor and the Fuji 40MP APS-C sensor beats it. Those are not stacked, however.
My point was more that people are complaining that the mkii does not have a 'new sensor' when there is no comparable sensor made (for a commercial camera) by anyone, and given that Olympus (as far as I know) buy in their sensors and so buy what is available, it is a rather dumb complaint.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
My point was more that people are complaining that the mkii does not have a 'new sensor' when there is no comparable sensor made (for a commercial camera) by anyone, and given that Olympus (as far as I know) buy in their sensors and so buy what is available, it is a rather dumb complaint.
It's probably only me, but I thought dumb complaints are quite common...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Yep, have seen a few Tube videos saying the same. Extra 1200 USD for the same lens?
And some people here hate on Canon's prices... I do get that this lens has more expensive construction and hopefully pay the factory workers higher wages. Does it accounts for that much of an increase? Am I missing something?

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
Yep, have seen a few Tube videos saying the same. Extra 1200 USD for the same lens?
Well, not exactly the same lens. We'll likely never know how it is different from the Sigma, other than the lens image stabilization, which Sigma rates as 4 stops on a FF camera at 600mm focal length. Magnifying that by the 2x crop factor, if this was exactly the Sigma lens, I would not expect much better than 2 stops IS at the long end, but OM Systems rates it at 6 stops. What else OM might have changed, added, modified is unknown.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Looking at the specs, it seems that the Oly glass is higher spec in general - they may have worked with Sigma on the design but improved both optics and IS to account for the difference in price. Ive seen some superb images with the lens so I would be hesitant about the 'underwhelming sharpness' - and to give the Oly 100-400 'middling marks' I wonder who in a PC mag is doing the reviewing. As for saying pros are better off buying the 300mm F4 - this is a zoom for gods sake and sometimes people want/need a zoom.

Upvote 0