Black and White Landscapes!

Hw0m75N.jpg

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Beach at Holkham, Norfolk, England, low tide

5DS + 100/2 @f/5, 1/1250 , ISO 400

Nice capture Sporgon! Despite the people in the picture it feels very desolate and empty...
Did you use special post-processing? The picture has this B&W film appearance with more noise then I would have expected from your gear at the settings used...

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Nat_WA said:
Sporgon said:

Nice capture Sporgon! Despite the people in the picture it feels very desolate and empty...
Did you use special post-processing? The picture has this B&W film appearance with more noise then I would have expected from your gear at the settings used...

Thanks for that comment Nat_WA, I'm pleased the picture looks that way to you as that's the image I saw at the time. But I think the people included in the frame add to the feeling of the emptiness - ironically. That's why I included the guy standing out by the surf with the dog. I have another shot without them that I've attached here; see what you think.

Yes I have added a film grain effect to the image, although compressing it down so small has added to the grain / noise effect somewhat. I went through a stage of adding a little grain to all my images but found that nowadays most people seem to be conditioned to associate this with noise and poor quality, so I stopped but still like it on my own personal images.

At 400 ISO the 5DS has more noise than other contemporary FF cameras but only at the full output size. As soon as you reduce the image size to that of a 5DIV or III it becomes as good. This second image without the man and dog has no grain effect added.

Upvote 0
On my very first view of your first beach photo, I thought that the person and dog near the water's edge really made the photo, the human element as counterpoint to and emphasizing the windswept bleakness of the rest of the scene. I thought it a great photo.

In comparison, the second photo seems rather bland.

I've no opinion what I'd think of the second if I hadn't already seen the first.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Nat_WA said:
Sporgon said:

Thanks for that comment Nat_WA, I'm pleased the picture looks that way to you as that's the image I saw at the time. But I think the people included in the frame add to the feeling of the emptiness - ironically. That's why I included the guy standing out by the surf with the dog. I have another shot without them that I've attached here; see what you think.

Yes I have added a film grain effect to the image, although compressing it down so small has added to the grain / noise effect somewhat. I went through a stage of adding a little grain to all my images but found that nowadays most people seem to be conditioned to associate this with noise and poor quality, so I stopped but still like it on my own personal images.

At 400 ISO the 5DS has more noise than other contemporary FF cameras but only at the full output size. As soon as you reduce the image size to that of a 5DIV or III it becomes as good. This second image without the man and dog has no grain effect added.

Hi Sporgon, indeed the first picture "pulls you in" much more than the second - composition of the first is stronger with a diagonal perceived line leading the eye from lower left to upper right. Having a person at the "start" of the viewing line in the first provides a reference for the distance - enhancing the empty feeling. The second has a more central composition which lacks dynamics and leaves the eye 'stuck' in the upper middle; without a good reference for size or distance...

Your pictures (set in B&W) are well suited to a bit of film grain - at least I like it here, adds to the atmosphere. Thanks for clarifying your use of post-processing :).

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
tolusina said:
On my very first view of your first beach photo, I thought that the person and dog near the water's edge really made the photo, the human element as counterpoint to and emphasizing the windswept bleakness of the rest of the scene. I thought it a great photo.

In comparison, the second photo seems rather bland.

I've no opinion what I'd think of the second if I hadn't already seen the first.

Thanks Tolusina & Nat_WA. Very interested to hear both your thoughts. I agree and the second image has now magically disappeared as it's not one I would normally put into the public domain ;)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Another shot from Holkham with 5DS + 40mm Pancake. f/6.3, 1/640. ISO 400. I used the horrendous field curvature of my particular 40 mil at infinity to have the focus area where I want it. I'm not sure if all 40 mil pancakes have the same extent of field curvature as mine has.

Attachments

• _MGL6698-0.5.jpg
    _MGL6698-0.5.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 191
Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Another shot from Holkham with 5DS + 40mm Pancake. f/6.3, 1/640. ISO 400. I used the horrendous field curvature of my particular 40 mil at infinity to have the focus area where I want it. I'm not sure if all 40 mil pancakes have the same extent of field curvature as mine has.
Very nice shot.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Click said:
Nice picture, Sporgon.
razashaikh said:
Sporgon said:
Very nice shot.

Many thanks Guys, I love working in black and white

Upvote 0