Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X DX

P

PXL_Pusher

Re: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X

These photos are great, really nice landscapes. You have officially entered this lens into my possibilities for my next purchase which will be an UWA lens. Have you had any experience with the 17-40 f/4L? If so, how does it compare to this?

I understand the Focal length equivalents are not the same on these lenses, but my true concern is on image quality. Having the 2.8 ability on a 11-16mm range really is appealing to me. and your shots really make me a little more confident in this lenses IQ abilities. Great work!

Upvote 0

PXL_Pusher said:
Have you had any experience with the 17-40 f/4L? If so, how does it compare to this?

On an APS-C camera, the Tokina is a better option. The 17-40L is pretty good in general, except for very soft corners at 17mm, regardless of aperture. On a crop, the corner softness is less pronounced, but without the ability to truly shoot wide it becomes a rather boring lens. While I believe the Tokina can physically fit on a full frame sensor, vignetting from the smaller image circle will probably only make it useful in the 15-16mm range, at which point it isn't a very good option for that application.

Basically, if you shoot crop, you will probably be much happier with the Tokina. Optically, it is better than the 17-40L due to the 17mm softness issue. The combination of the Tokina and the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (the original, non-stabilized version seems a bit better optically) makes a rather excellent combination for landscape work.

Upvote 0

Yes, I have used the 17-40L and I don't particularly like it. The first reason is on a crop it's not an UWA and it basically becomes, at best, half of a general zoom. I reasoned that I was better off with an UWA made for the format because it's a more appropriate application and a proper general zoom, the 24-70. I also wasn't blown away by it, there are many people who get great results out of it, I can not.

As for the Tokina on fullframe, yes, it only does work in the long end of its very short range. Not such a big deal as it's more of an adjustment from 11 to 16 than it is a zoom :D. I wouldn't recommend it as a lens to shoot landscape on full frame though, get a UWA made for full frame if that's your plan. The 16-35L, 14L, 17TS, 21mm Zeiss... and Tokina is coming out with a 16-28 for full frame if, like me, you don't like the 17-40 there are lots of options.

On UWA is the only time the crop factor is a pain. Every other instance I like the extra reach just fine. Easily solved with the very competent Tokina which you can sell quite easily if you make the mad dash to full frame glory.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

I have the 11-16 and just snagged the new Sigma 12-24. So far they look to be about equal in terms of resolution, but the Sigma has WAY less CA than the Tokina and the flare resistance is a bit better. The full frame compatibility and more practical FL might mean the Tokina will be up for sale soon...

Upvote 0

ions said:
Am I the only one here with this lens?

Nah i have one too on my 60D but mainly use it for video work which it works amazingly.

I did use it to photograph (only) a wedding on the weekend. Some of the pics have turned out amazingly well. Although not great for those close up shots....most people don't like it when your literally right up in their faces :)

Upvote 0