Blindly pre-order 5D4 - Why NOT

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
YuengLinger said:
aa_angus said:
YuengLinger said:
Simple answer to original simple question: The 5DIII is a great camera that is ready right now, with proven virtues and known flaws, and can be bought new for $1000 USD less. The 1DX II is available right now for those who need something a little better AND have hands that fit its size.

There is absolutely no practical or business grounded reason to preorder a 5DIV (unless you are a self-publishing reviewer who won't get a trial body), but for those with an itch for new technology, it's your money, indulge!

Buying a 5DIII for only $1000 less seems pretty silly to me. The IV is going to blow it away. In the world of photography, $1000 isn't a whole lot, and you're going to sacrifice so much to save that amount.

You apparently missed my other points--saving $1000 on a great (by any standards) camera you can have delivered by tomorrow, rather than one incrementally better in a month or so, is not a negligible bonus, even in the world of photography.
Better yet, pick up a lightly used 5Diii and wait until the 5DIV is tested, reviewed, firmware fixes, software updates, price drop etc all occur.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
Mt Spokane Photography said:
There are some things to consider, and they depend entirely on your situation.

1. When you get the camera, Your editing software will likely not work with the CR2 files for a month or 6. Phase One, DXO, Adobe, ACDSEE, - only DPP will work fully. If you are a pro with a established work flow, it means the camera is just a toy while waiting.

This is very high if not top on my list of waiting to upgrade. In my opinion, new bodies should come out in January when my business it at it's lowest demand and I actually have time to become accustomed to the body (just in case menus have changed and so on and of course afma-ing all my lenses to it) and have time to wait for Adobe to catch up.
Oh, and while my 5D3s have shortcomings, they do a fine job right now. They might even do a fine job while waiting for the initial prices to fall a bit (or my CAN$ to rise a bit). ;)

Upvote 0

LoneRider

Profession Geek.
Oct 4, 2011
Great state of Texas
j-nord said:
Better yet, pick up a lightly used 5Diii and wait until the 5DIV is tested, reviewed, firmware fixes, software updates, price drop etc all occur.

Really easy to say, but cash transactions in the $2000 area with a private individual are non-trivial.

There is of course risk in buying a used $2000, what happens if it does not perform as expected?

And of course, the risk of selling the camera. The value of the used 5Diii probably won't drop too much, but you never know.

We have no idea how well Canon is prepared for the launch as well. A lot of unknowns.

Which is why I am living with my 7D until I get my hands on a 5Div. :D

Upvote 0
I'm guessing that, as per usual, the camera will be fine as soon as it starts shipping. I shoot for a living, and I have no doubt that the 5DIV will perform excellently straight out of the box. There will be no disruption to my workflow whatsoever. Based on the specs, the IV looks a significantly better camera than the III, thus I see no problem whatsoever in buying one straight away. If you are looking to buy a 5DIII, surely it would make sense to wait until the IV us shipping so you save a few hundred dollars. The idea of buying a III right now is pretty dumb (in my opinion). Wait two weeks.

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
LoneRider said:
j-nord said:

Really easy to say, but cash transactions in the $2000 area with a private individual are non-trivial.

There is of course risk in buying a used $2000, what happens if it does not perform as expected?

And of course, the risk of selling the camera. The value of the used 5Diii probably won't drop too much, but you never know.

We have no idea how well Canon is prepared for the launch as well. A lot of unknowns.

Which is why I am living with my 7D until I get my hands on a 5Div. :D

Barely used 5diii's go for about $1800 on eBay now. eBay, paypal, refurbished, B&H used, Adorama used etc all have buyer protections. Buying from a random guy in a parking lot is a different story. Not everyone wants to/should buy used (especially if you are a pro and your living depends on the body) but if you are looking to pre-order a 5D4 you are also not looking use the body for pro work (for at least a couple months for the many reasons mentioned). If you are an enthusiast, buying and selling a used 5Diii while you wait for the 5D4 to get established is a very reasonable route IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Diko said:
Maiaibing said:
Diko said:
why am I ready to blindly pre-order 5D4?

[...incredibly long rant...]
Trying to justify your choice to us after failing with your wife? :eek:

(Good luck with your choice!)
TL;DR kind of guy, now are you? And/or too hard for you to digest information? Don't worry, that Dyslexia thing is not that bad... after some time you'll get used to it.

Nobody can say they "blindly" pre-ordered anything. You will know the full specifications before ordering.

If you don't, then your problem is far worse than Dyslexia. There are probably people on this forum who have Dyslexia... so watch your mouth, iRambo. They've worked hard to overcome it.

Your writing isn't nearly interesting enough to read for the period of time it takes to read it. I sometimes post rambling posts. Your's wins the trophy though. I'll mail it to you tomorrow. ::)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
aa_angus said:
YuengLinger said:
Simple answer to original simple question: The 5DIII is a great camera that is ready right now, with proven virtues and known flaws, and can be bought new for $1000 USD less. The 1DX II is available right now for those who need something a little better AND have hands that fit its size.

There is absolutely no practical or business grounded reason to preorder a 5DIV (unless you are a self-publishing reviewer who won't get a trial body), but for those with an itch for new technology, it's your money, indulge!

Buying a 5DIII for only $1000 less seems pretty silly to me. The IV is going to blow it away. In the world of photography, $1000 isn't a whole lot, and you're going to sacrifice so much to save that amount.

When you sell your 5D Mark III may I have it for $1,000 less than fair market value? It isn't a lot of money. You won't mind.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
aa_angus said:
YuengLinger said:

When you sell your 5D Mark III may I have it for $1,000 less than fair market value? It isn't a lot of money. You won't mind.

Yes, it's easy to completely change the context. Well done, you must be a very clever cookie. Paying $1000 less for the mark 3 when the mark 4 is available is a silly option in my opinion. I'm sure market value will suggest the III's drop to around 2000 below the mark 4.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
aa_angus said:
CanonFanBoy said:
aa_angus said:
YuengLinger said:

Yes, it's easy to completely change the context. Well done, you must be a very clever cookie. Paying $1000 less for the mark 3 when the mark 4 is available is a silly option in my opinion. I'm sure market value will suggest the III's drop to around 2000 below the mark 4.

Completely in context. "$1,000 is not a lot of money in the camera world."

You are entitled to your opinion. I just want your Mark III... for $1,000 less than fair market value.

For the guy that only has $2,000 - $2,500 to spend on a body the Mark III is a great buy and will be a great camera for many years to come. If he's a pro his business will not suffer because he doesn't have the Mark IV.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2013
Reasons to blindly pre-order
1. GAS
2. GAS
3. GAS
4. Bragging rights

Reasons to not blindly pre order;
1. Early price premium
2. early software issues
3. often happens there are "issues" with early production models eg5d3 light leak, 7d2 AF, any Nikon model-joke
4. No reviews you are going in blind as regards performance of the camera, agreed you have some knowledge that it will be a quality image but is it right for your needs i.e. High ISO, low ISO DR.

OK I have the tent ready to start camping outside the local shop....

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Drum said:
Reasons to blindly pre-order
1. GAS
2. GAS
3. GAS
4. Bragging rights

Reasons to not blindly pre order;
1. Early price premium
2. early software issues
3. often happens there are "issues" with early production models eg5d3 light leak, 7d2 AF, any Nikon model-joke
4. No reviews you are going in blind as regards performance of the camera, agreed you have some knowledge that it will be a quality image but is it right for your needs i.e. High ISO, low ISO DR.

OK I have the tent ready to start camping outside the local shop....

Don't forget bragging rights on identifying problems and joining cliquey little discussion groups on what the problem really is and what bug fixes need to be rolled out.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Pretty entertaining reading for a change. Even the OP was good for a laugh in its ramblings and format and for making some interesting observations. Unfortunately I didn't have popcorn.

Only one thing troubling to me. I want the 1DX II for various reasons (features), don't really need 14 fps and due to distance shots and cropping would prefer 30MPs. I think the 1DX II with a 400 DO would be great but that's really pricey so is the 5D4 with my 300 X2 a sensible option and forget a 1 series body. Tomorrow I'll see what the 5D4 lacks relative to the 1DX II and start watching for sample photos and reviews and wait a little longer before deciding - no pre-order if 5D4.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
A small and SHORT correction.

It is weird how close the 5D4 is to the first 1Dx. A few people even said they will buy 1Dx2 only because of the price of Canon 5D4. In EU it costs aorund 4300 euro. Strictly for early adopters and rich kids. They will normalize it back for the holidays beginning with the EU Black Friday.

Upvote 0