Broken tripod collar

Hi all...

So my wife accidentally dropped my Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II lens (in its case) and broke the knob off of the tripod collar. Is there any way to get this fixed besides getting a new one? I can't seem to find the original anywhere. Although there is one seller on ebay who just posted it but the item has heavy signs of usage which I don't like. My lens feels naked without it and I would hate to put in a non-canon ring on this beautiful lens. Please help!!

IMG_4948.jpg

why dont you try a drop of epoxy in the hole of the broken knob (gosh that sounds wrong)... and give it some time to dry with then affixed? Dont put enough to spread/leak onto the casing (in which your knob would be nothing more than a permanently attached paper weight)... just a drop with a qtip? Other than that send it into canon and have them fix/replace the part?

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
It looks like it's just the plastic knob broken off the screw, can you still grip it and tighten the knob ok? If you've ordered the el-cheapo from ebay, maybe you can get the screw out of that one and fit it into your canon-ring? (yep, that sounds dirty too). The cheapo tripod ring i've got from ebay is plastic, but at least the screw is metal...

Upvote 0
dr croubie said:
It looks like it's just the plastic knob broken off the screw, can you still grip it and tighten the knob ok? If you've ordered the el-cheapo from ebay, maybe you can get the screw out of that one and fit it into your canon-ring? (yep, that sounds dirty too). The cheapo tripod ring i've got from ebay is plastic, but at least the screw is metal...

Yup I can still tighten by turning the metal part. But the knob that was attached was designed such a way that even unscrewing it completely (loosening the grip), it still wouldn't come off like that because the knob was permanently attached to the metal bit. So I think I have to have canon repair it.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
sheedoe said:
Hi all...

So my wife accidentally dropped my Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II lens (in its case) and broke the knob off of the tripod collar. Is there any way to get this fixed besides getting a new one? I can't seem to find the original anywhere. Although there is one seller on ebay who just posted it but the item has heavy signs of usage which I don't like. My lens feels naked without it and I would hate to put in a non-canon ring on this beautiful lens. Please help!!

IMG_4948.jpg

These can be repaired, they aren't available through retail.

You'd be looking in the $200 range for a new one, I know with other collars you can buy replacement parts through Canon Parts (Or a third party provider of Canon parts).

Upvote 0
My ring (for my v1 lens) is broken EXACTLY the same way! I broke mine last month and have been trying to fix it at home. I tried glue, but it won't tighten. I try tape and it actually was able to stay in place better. I sent it to a place to repair... $175!!! They said that canon sold there's for 105... (I had another part broken on it also)

Upvote 0
EvillEmperor said:
My ring (for my v1 lens) is broken EXACTLY the same way! I broke mine last month and have been trying to fix it at home. I tried glue, but it won't tighten. I try tape and it actually was able to stay in place better. I sent it to a place to repair... $175!!! They said that canon sold there's for 105... (I had another part broken on it also)
I hear you man. I was able to buy a genuine mint condition collar for $50 on eBay
. But I must say I was pretty miserable up until that point. I had to wait about 2 weeks to find one.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm still on the hunt for mine... Since June 10th... The cheapest genuine one I've found is $100, but I can't afford that quite yet. I bought a 3rd party one to try to use the parts to repair mine, but I also broke that one. I am able to weigh it down with a lot of duck tape, but then I can't switch which way to shoot. It's kinda funny how mine broke the same way... Do you still have your broken one?

Upvote 0