Burning Man Photo/Lens Advice

photon

All of us are smarter than one of us.
Jul 16, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Good morning all,

Next month I will be going to my first Burning Man and could really use some help from someone with experience taking pictures there.

I currently have a 60D, and my 18-135 has been through hell and has finally reached a point where...well she's tired, really tired.

I really did not want to purchase any other ef-s lenses as it will just prolong the FF purchase, but that's my dilema.

Low light and UWA and Crop is tough for me to accommodate.

I have been kicking around the idea of a 10-22 or the 10-18. Ideally if I could walk in there with a FF and a 24-70 F2.8 I wouldn't even be asking for advice.

With the crop though I don't feel any of the standard zooms will go wide enough for some desired perspective with the exception of the 15-85, but I feel that will limit me to mostly day-time shots.

18-35 will give me everything I want...if it just went a little wider

Any advice is appreciated and also, if that advice is to honestly leave the dslr and just take in the experience (I need this escape more than ever) I will respect that advice too.

I recently rented lenses for Lightning in a Bottle to include 24mm Sigma, 100L, 24-70. They stayed in the vehicle most of the time... However, with BM being longer and...ya I just want some of your input please :)

photon

Jul 16, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks bluemoon, that's my goal here.

I am aware of the dust issues. Honestly, part of the reason for the 10-18 was the fact that for $280 I would be prepared to call it a loss if it doesn't return. If the 60D doesn't make it, what a great justification to get a FF right? Can I do that :) ?

Upvote 0
Honestly, what's your photo to video ratio?

Going with something cheapish & abusable like a 1Dmk2 or mk3 and a 17-40mm lens may fit your budget, and have a good chance of surviving. Going in with a 'it'll die' mentality isn't ideal, especially if you want to make it to the final burn. Maybe the Nikon AW1 due to the water seals, you can just rinse it off (and never change the lens).

Upvote 0

photon

Jul 16, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I hardly shoot any video and when I do, the standards I hold my video quality to compared to photo quality makes it not worth worrying about. I lack the experience and thus skill to capture video at a quality that I think would separate it from "capturing a moment in time" to "creating art".

I like the suggestion of the older more robust 1 series which was completely opposite of me almost considering an EOS-M with the tiny UWA for size and I thought...less moving parts. The older FF (or APC-H) seems more intelligent now for going the distance. I would probably beg, borrow, and use my best puppy dog eyes to at least invest in the new 16-35 F4 rather than the older 17-40. See...I just got lost outside rational thought again.

I will go look over and LensAuthority and see what older bodies they have left.

Halfrack have you been to Burning Man? What did you use?

Upvote 0
When we went in 2009 we took a compact ultra-zoom with a lens filter, and fitted a plastic zipper bag over it and the camera straps so that when you open the bag you can shoot with the camera. There are dust storms and stuff.

There can be a lot of lit stuff at night that will show up in pictures. People light their bikes up, along with themselves and the installations.

Overall, I think I would have had more fun if I were focussing on photography than on partying there. The culture did not jibe well with me despite everyone thinking that BM is my type of scene.

I would recommend only going for the main burn days so that you can have enough strength to enjoy the main event. Otherwise, the elements and nutrition and exercise, hygiene can be a challenge to upkeep.

Fisheye might be cool, Telephoto would come in handy for some more discrete photo ops. I think they encourage asking permission of people to photo them. So telephoto would help with that PIA.

Just be ready to give everyone a hard time and be as annoying as possible..hehe... be ready to really project whatever persona you feel like as that seems to be what a lot of people do.

also consider the police presence and any complications that that may entail.

photon said:
Good morning all,

Next month I will be going to my first Burning Man and could really use some help from someone with experience taking pictures there.

I currently have a 60D, and my 18-135 has been through hell and has finally reached a point where...well she's tired, really tired.

I really did not want to purchase any other ef-s lenses as it will just prolong the FF purchase, but that's my dilema.

Low light and UWA and Crop is tough for me to accommodate.

I have been kicking around the idea of a 10-22 or the 10-18. Ideally if I could walk in there with a FF and a 24-70 F2.8 I wouldn't even be asking for advice.

With the crop though I don't feel any of the standard zooms will go wide enough for some desired perspective with the exception of the 15-85, but I feel that will limit me to mostly day-time shots.

18-35 will give me everything I want...if it just went a little wider

Any advice is appreciated and also, if that advice is to honestly leave the dslr and just take in the experience (I need this escape more than ever) I will respect that advice too.

I recently rented lenses for Lightning in a Bottle to include 24mm Sigma, 100L, 24-70. They stayed in the vehicle most of the time... However, with BM being longer and...ya I just want some of your input please :)

Upvote 0