Butterflies, Moths and Assorted Insects...

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Looks like H. thysbe for me too... On other hand I have not much info about the rest of Hemaris in N. America (3 more I think?).
Thanks for your helpful response. If it weren't for Google etc I would be truly clueless on this subject.

Quoting from here:

"There are four species of hummingbird moths in North America. The most familiar ones are the Snowberry Clearwing (Hemaris diffinis) and the Hummingbird Clearwing (Hemaris thysbe)."

I so enjoy reading these links because some of what I read is so, so correct...and some of what I read ties into other nonsense I've posted on CR.

Specifically (from the link):

"Perhaps one of the most delightful insect visitors to your garden is the hummingbird moth. Several species of the genus Hemaris deserve this name and for very good reason. They fly and move just like hummingbirds. Like them, they can remain suspended in the air in front of a flower while they unfurl their long tongues and insert them in flowers to sip their nectar. They even emit an audible hum like hummingbirds. Quite often inexperienced garden visitors notice what they think is a tiny hummingbird fleeting among flowers such as bee balm (Monarda). They listen incredulously when one explains to them that what they just saw was not a bird but a moth."

I am the 'inexperienced garden visitor' (visiting my neighbor's butterfly bush), and this is exactly what happened...in that when I was collecting the images with a 5DMkIII and its viewfinder, I thought I was looking at a hummingbird (!), so much so that when I moved the files to my computer I thought I'd missed them in the copy process (because I saw no hummingbirds when reviewing the images!).

Looking through a viewfinder really is different from the LCD screen...something already obvious to many reading this.

The first hummingbird moth images I posted in this thread were not very good (too slow shutter speed).

The following images I'm a bit proud of...in that I 'worked' a bit to get them...and the first of these (f7.1 and 1/8000s exposure time; ISO 1600) may in fact demonstrate the limitations of the 5DMkIII/100-400 II @ 400 combo (at least in my hands).

5D3_5904.JPG

Details for the following image (same body/camera; ISO 3200; f16; 1/4000s exposure time):

5D3_5265.JPG

I think the photo data are available via download. Thanks for reading.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
Of cause female because in the third picture it is ovipositioning.;)
Probably the same species and also ovipositioning in the first two pictures. The third is in another place and a different day.
R5 +RF 100 2.8
@ 1/800, ISO 2000, f/11
ovipositioning_02.jpg
@ 1/800, ISO 2000, f/14
ovipositioning.jpg
1/500, Iso 640, f/7.1
blue.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0