Butterflies, Moths and Assorted Insects...

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
I only had my OM-1 with a couple of lenses (small and lightweight, of course :) ) on a business trip with me. But I found a garden full of tropical butterflies. No flash, handheld.

Beautiful series, Cog.
a025.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I only had my OM-1 with a couple of lenses (small and lightweight, of course :) ) on a business trip with me. But I found a garden full of tropical butterflies. No flash, handheld.
Great series of butterflies, @Cog.
And the phrase is always the same:
"The best camera is always the one you have with you!" ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Didn't expect to post this series until noticed something interesting: I have seen these guys to enter flowers for the nectar. Now, this one was using different tactic (may be because the "mouth" of the flower was too small) - ignoring the mouth and just piercing the bottom, right where the nectar should be!

DSC_5531_DxO.jpgDSC_5521_DxO.jpgDSC_5570_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... this one was using different tactic (may be because the "mouth" of the flower was too small) - ignoring the mouth and just piercing the bottom, right where the nectar should be!
Very interesting.
I've read about insects to bite open the bottom of a bloom.
I think those were ants, but don't remember.
And this evening didn't resist the challenge of the light: ISO 5000 (crop camera), f/6.3, 1/50s (tripod!) and -1EV correction for some speed compensated somewhat in PP. Also I don't remember when for last time I have seen the Gray Hawk Moth (Psilogramma increta).
Good job.
Looking at the dark bg, from the noise I wouldn't have guessed such high ISO.

Upvote 0