Butterflies, Moths and Assorted Insects...

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Time to fulfill my promise to show how my daughter use to pet insects. For these photos she is off course with camera but she use to do it without camera too!
The last two photos are an example of "never handle it": since I told here what these can do she was very respectful :)!
Others included in the "No, no list" are Scolopendras, Spiders (but she loves to play with the Jumpers and I have seen her handling some others), Bees ans Wasps and some ants (she doesn't use to handle or taking photos of ants but since we have here at least two species of stinging ants - both nasty, she is avoiding them).

DSC_9764_DxO.jpgPine sawyer beetle DSC_9051_DxO.jpgDSC_0295_DxO.jpgDSC_8645_DxO.jpgDSC_8709_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Happy Halloween to every one who celebrates it!
I hope it's scary enough (EricN?! :unsure:)!

View attachment 212577
It's a wonderful shot. I think if I saw on that looked that large, I would find something similar to Halloween chocolate in my pants! Or if I saw an uncountable number of normal sized ones crawling on me...

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Time to fulfill my promise to show how my daughter use to pet insects. For these photos she is off course with camera but she use to do it without camera too!
The last two photos are an example of "never handle it": since I told here what these can do she was very respectful :)!
Others included in the "No, no list" are Scolopendras, Spiders (but she loves to play with the Jumpers and I have seen her handling some others), Bees ans Wasps and some ants (she doesn't use to handle or taking photos of ants but since we have here at least two species of stinging ants - both nasty, she is avoiding them).

View attachment 212754View attachment 212755View attachment 212756View attachment 212757View attachment 212758
They're always fantastic! What is the third one, it's unique looking, but kinda cute! like an anteater or something! What happened to her fingers after...?

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Found this guy on my wife's plant on the lanai...
Sure, that's not a gal? Okay, size of head to abdomen could also mean guy.
I hope he keeps his head up ;)
I really like mantises - except for their mating behaviour - suppose because I'm a guy ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Mantis says, "Did you just assume my gender!?"
Actually I don't need to "assume": it's a female! Look at the short antennae and the number of the abdominal segments! I used "guy" without inserting a sex with it -probably because it's not an adult yet...
I understand your humor but I'm just a biologist: there are species that use to change their sex in order to insure the continuing existence of that species (no matter of the circumstances or actually fighting the circumstances!).
It's very different from the "X-number" of sexes in recent human "reality"! Humanity exist not because of that "X-number", it exist despite of it!
Sorry for the harsh opinion but as I sad: I'm just a humble biologist and not flying in the "high spheres" of the "art" category!
And I'm not a politician!

Last edited:
Upvote 0