Butterflies, Moths and Assorted Insects...

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Insects seem to like my window panes :unsure:

This one was sitting there calmly in the evening until I brought torch and macro ring light.
But it didn't like a button up shot from the inside. Just when I had focus, it flew away.
Could be a peppered moth but I'm not sure here. Edit: Not identifyed yet.

20210703_0016.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
This should be a large cabbage white. The pattern on the underneath of the hindwing is quite prominent.
I know that there are variations here but this intense pattern gets me a little bit puzzled as I haven't found any similar pic in the web.
The sequence shows really well how it uses the proboscis.
For those who don't know you can see quite well in the third pic that the proboscis typically has two parts that together form a tube.

View attachment 198145 View attachment 198146 View attachment 198147
I put "like" for the photos. With the ID you are pretty out...
What about Pontia daplidice? Definitely not the Large Cabbage White - these never have that pattern on the underside of the back-wings! And the size is pretty different :)!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Insects seem to like my window panes :unsure:

This one was sitting there calmly in the evening until I brought torch and macro ring light.
But it didn't like a button up shot from the inside. Just when I had focus, it flew away.
Could be a peppered moth but I'm not sure here.

View attachment 198782
Definitely not the Peppered moth. I have never been good in Geometridae and can't say what species it's. Have to ask a friend who is expert entomologist (and works moths and butterflies). I'm pretty sure I had this one in my collection back in the time but can't recall the name (and it was IDed by the same friend, otherwise, for butterflies and most of the moths I was able to do it by myself.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Hi! I'm new to this thread, and look forward to viewing the photos that others have posted here.
I'd like to post some photos I took during a recent visit to the Butterfly House, in the St. Louis area.
All are with R5 and RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1 lens and DXO PL4.

I've never tried to identify butterflies, so I'll try to use "Seek" from my previous "birding" usage.
I'll mention what it tells me (for better or worse). ;)
If anyone knows of a better iphone app to ID butterflies, feel free to let me know.

Possible member of "Longwings" family: A04_1135_1_2k90%.jpg

Heliconius:
A04_1150_1_2k90%.jpg

Tiger Longwing:
A04_1161_1_2k90%.jpg

Chinese Hibiscus:
A04_1164_1_2k90%.jpg

A04_1166_1_2k90%.jpg

?:
A04_1182_1_2k90%.jpg

Cheers.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Hi! I'm new to this thread, and look forward to viewing the photos that others have posted here.
I'd like to post some photos I took during a recent visit to the Butterfly House, in the St. Louis area.
All are with R5 and RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1 lens and DXO PL4.

I've never tried to identify butterflies, so I'll try to use "Seek" from my previous "birding" usage.
I'll mention what it tells me (for better or worse). ;)
If anyone knows of a better iphone app to ID butterflies, feel free to let me know.

Lovely series. Nicely done, usern4cr.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Heliconius:
Really nice series.
I love :love: the "Heliconius" shot with the front perspective and the great view on the proboscis. Well done. (y)

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Really nice series.
I love :love: the "Heliconius" shot with the front perspective and the great view on the proboscis. Well done. (y)
Thanks, Maximillian.
That was one photo that caught my eye as very unusual. I thought it might have too little detail to warrant showing, but my wife said she really liked it. So I looked at it further and decided it was worth it as the view of the amount of sharp detail, while minimal, makes it stand out from the rest. It's nice to hear you noticed that as well. :)

Upvote 0