Buy a 5D Mark III or Wait for ??? in 2014

BTW, if you sold your 5D2, you would basically have enough to cover the cost of a refurb 6d or add a couple hundred and get a new one at 1400.

Also, if Canon sensors are restricting your ability to get what you need and AF is not a big deal for you, get an a7r. So far, they have been shown to provide really high resolution out of Canon glass (just based on what is available on the net) and give you the DR of the sensor I believe you want.

Or if Canon's silence on a new high MP/DR sensor is truly irking you to the point where you can't take another photo, then just jump ship and get what you are lusting after.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Dylan777 said:
tiger82 said:
I'm waiting for the release of the 1Dx Mark III. That's the only way I can afford the current 1Dx just like I can finally afford the 1D Mark III now that it is 2 revs out.

;D...LOL

FUNNY!

Then there's the highly anticipated APS-H high MP, high DR, high fps at a low cost, oh and it will take EF-S lenses too.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Upvote 0
Hmmm but I see you are leaning toward canon instead of Nikon. Obviously as a pro who has used both, you already know which direction to go...regardless of the Nikon chip design.

That being said you should get the 5diii and not worry about what's around the corner. You'll be asking the same question again when/if a 5d iv is announced. Take good care of your 5d3 and trade it in later for something else that may better suit your needs or wants at the time. I have a 5d3 and actually like it more than the 1dx. I'm considering buying a second one.

KBStudio said:
Kind of hoping for a new chip that competes with the Sony/Nikon overall quality. Wait or purchase a 5D MIII? Talk here is that Canon will not give us a new camera in 2014. If true, the question is wait til 2015 sometime, or buy a MIII. Have Mark II, access to several Mark III, at work, but need a personal camera update.

I am a working Pro and have personal experience with all Canon chips and several Nikon chips. So, please, no discussion over C versus N. Thanks.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
Canon Rumors Premium
What do you shoot, and exactly are you looking to improve in terms of camera results?

Scott

KBStudio said:
Kind of hoping for a new chip that competes with the Sony/Nikon overall quality. Wait or purchase a 5D MIII? Talk here is that Canon will not give us a new camera in 2014. If true, the question is wait til 2015 sometime, or buy a MIII. Have Mark II, access to several Mark III, at work, but need a personal camera update.

I am a working Pro and have personal experience with all Canon chips and several Nikon chips. So, please, no discussion over C versus N. Thanks.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
Canon Rumors Premium
Agreed!

Dylan777 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Hope is nice. Holding your breath would be a bad idea.

In what way is your 5DII falling short for you? For me, it was the AF. The 5DIII would have been a solution, but I got the 1D X. I didn't have issues with the sensor-based IQ of the 5DII.

+1...AF system is my #1 reason jumping from II to III.

Upvote 0

MovingViolations

Older but better..........
Oct 15, 2013
FL Space Coast
KBStudio said:

When I really needed low light high ISO working body it did not exist. Now I need it again. Waiting for a "Magic Bullet Camera" is not good for restful sleep. Now that I need a rugged high ISO body again the 5D MIII makes sense with Eye-Fi for using tablets or laptops for studio work (tablets on a hiking trail). D800's look appealing until a remote release pin drops into the body. I use remote releases always from a tripod in a studio situation or for landscape/architectural photography. You might save yourself the upgrade expense if you can focus from a tablet and the 5D MII. I don't know. Never done it. But it is growing in popularity as you can see just how good your focus is on a larger screen. An investment in an Eye-Fi Pro 16 GB card is not so much if an upgrade is saved until the 5D M IV finally is released. Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
KBStudio said:
Kind of hoping for a new chip that competes with the Sony/Nikon overall quality.

Do you feel that the final usable quality of Sony files is that much better? I have heard a lot all over the net but I have not seen anything in a print or on the web that has convinced me to switch despite the allure of the Sony A7R.

I see great images and poor images and I cannot tell what has been made with what.

Upvote 0

MovingViolations

Older but better..........
Oct 15, 2013
FL Space Coast
privatebydesign said:
How are people getting Live View via an Eye-Fi card?

I very occasionally use an Eye-Fi but I also have a WFT, the Eye-Fi is a toy, the WFT a tool with dramatically better functionality. You can use the WFT for Live View, and full control over remote shooting, among other things.
You may not can. I only see the preview of already taken images. WFT might be the only way to go at a cost. I just went to the Eye-Fi site. Not to clear about what it can and can't do. Most likely a contact with them up and coming.

Upvote 0
MovingViolations said:
privatebydesign said:
How are people getting Live View via an Eye-Fi card?

I very occasionally use an Eye-Fi but I also have a WFT, the Eye-Fi is a toy, the WFT a tool with dramatically better functionality. You can use the WFT for Live View, and full control over remote shooting, among other things.
You may not can. I only see the preview of already taken images. WFT might be the only way to go at a cost. I just went to the Eye-Fi site. Not to clear about what it can and can't do. Most likely a contact with them up and coming.

The Eye-Fi cards only allow for transferring images, there is no live view streaming. For that one could use the CamRanger, which is significantly cheaper than the WFT transmitter. I only got an Eye-Fi card for one reason, and that was to transfer jpegs ad-hoc to my iPad and it did that well, albeit somewhat slow. I imagine Canon's transmitter is probably faster, and it should be for the price. The CamRanger has excellent reviews, although the demos and reviews do mention that there is a minimal, but noticeable lag in live view streaming.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
bleephotography said:
..... one could use the CamRanger, which is significantly cheaper than the WFT transmitter.

I got a secondhand WFT for $160, wouldn't be without one now.

Wow, how'd you find such a deal? I've been looking around and the cheapest I've been able to find it is ~$500 on eBay. $160 is a steal!

Upvote 0
Sorry, I kind of abandoned this thread until today. To answer several questions.

I shoot for catalog, advertising, menus, and web. Large products to tiny chips. Vehicles to baseball mitts. Food to footwear.

I have looked at the Sony A7R and it seems like a option through not ideal.

I have a ton of Canon glass and the cost of selling and replacing would be enormous. And having been a Nikon shooter for 20 plus years, I am not really sure I would want to go back.

After further review and a cost/benefit analysis, I have decide to "quietly" wait.

For those looking for a "Live View" tether to a tablet, I am successfully using DSLR Dashboard and Helicon Remote with my Nexus 7 tablet. A wonderful solution for really low angles where you can not see through the view finder or the LCD screen. I use a USB extended cord to allow me to get away from the camera as needed. This is a field set up. I shoot tethered 98% of the time in studio using Lightroom and EOS Utility.

I just wanted to thank the thoughtful respondents to this thread. It has given my lots of food for thought.

Kim Brun

Upvote 0