C Fast memory cards in New EOS bodies ??

falcnr

1DX & 5DSR Canon glass
May 3, 2015
Does anyone have the new 5D3 SR SLR and can you tell me if they are C Fast card able?

Also if the new 1DXMKII will likely have this feature?

i'm currently replacing some of my older cards and stocking up on 64GB 1066x CF cards but am about to buy the 5D3SR when it arrives shortly. Wondering if CFast is one of the cards either bodies will be able to take?

No, Canon 5DSr not use CFast cards, but only Compact Flash and SDHC / SDXC.

Until then, the only Canon cameras compatible with CFast card, are the new XC10 and the C300 Mark ii.

According to the rumors, the future 1DX Mark ii should use CFast cards, together with Compact Fash.
If the future 5D Mark IV finally records 4K video, you must have CFast cards as well.

Upvote 0
I expect the 1DX replacement/supplement to have a CF & CFast card slot.

What I am doing now is selling all my CF cards (2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB) at a good return and replacing them with 64GB ones that are 800x or faster. The proceeds of the sale allowed me to double the combined capacity and speed of all my CF cards.

Having 64GB sized allows for the convenience of reducing the need to swap out cards in the field and less instances of buffering.

By 2018-2020 I expect a total transition to CFast for Cinema EOS and 1-Series bodies. The 7D Mark 3 and 5D Mark 5 will probably sport a CFast slash SDXC card slot. By then people buying used CF cards will only entertain memory sizes 64GB and larger.

So why the change to "expensive" CFast? Best analogy is the personal computer's transition from hard disk drives (HDD) to solid state drives (SSD). It allows for more data to be read/written at a faster speed with the reduction of buffering. With the demand for more dynamic range (DR), megapixels (MP), bitrate (BR) and 4K resolution (4K) this is the only way to go.

Upvote 0

falcnr

1DX & 5DSR Canon glass
May 3, 2015
Thanks for that, much appreciated both.
So I will continue gathering a few larger 64GB CF cards for use in my existing 1DX and the new 5DSR.

Yes Dolina this is exactly the route I have gone for same reasons. Also travelling on long photo trips (2+ weeks), its a lot easier having large cards rather than lots of small ones to track.

thanks again

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
ajfotofilmagem said:
Until then, the only Canon cameras compatible with CFast card, are the new XC10 and the C300 Mark ii.

Not to weave conspiracy theories (too much :p), but the hybrid cams might be broken by design with the lack of ultra-fast cf cards: The main bottleneck for Magic Lantern's raw video is the card interface, otherwise nothing is hindering you to create uhd 14bit videos that leave anything 8-bit x264-ish in the dust.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
CFAST cards are great for video, but I don't need a $700 card for a ordinary DSLR. Maybe once the price drops.

There are low cost Cfast cards, but they are also crippled with slow write speeds, so they don't make a lot of sense.
I wish I had as deep a pockets as you consider Cinema EOS and 1-Series bodies as "ordinary DSLRs". ;D

The sooner more high end cameras use CFast cards the sooner prices will drop.

I expect 1066x or 1100x CFast cards at 64GB, 128GB or 256GB to be equal in price with their CF card equivalent in 3-5 years time. By then more ordinary cameras that would benefit from CFast cards like the 7-Series and 5-Series bodies will be out.

falcnr, my experience with having over a dozen cards is rather bothersome. I end up misplacing some and when I do find them I discover that the last time I used these cards were way back in 2012 or 2010.

Although very reliable and fast I bought a couple of non-name brand cards so selling them will prove to be difficult. :(

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
dolina said:
CFAST cards are great for video, but I don't need a $700 card for a ordinary DSLR. Maybe once the price drops.

There are low cost Cfast cards, but they are also crippled with slow write speeds, so they don't make a lot of sense.
I wish I had as deep a pockets as you consider Cinema EOS and 1-Series bodies as "ordinary DSLRs". ;D

I expect 1066x or 1100x CFast cards at 64GB, 128GB or 256GB to be equal in price with their CF card equivalent in 3-5 years time.

falcnr, my experience with having over a dozen cards is rather bothersome. I end up misplacing some and when I do find them I discover that the last time I used these cards were way back in 2012 or 2010.

Although very reliable and fast I bought a couple of non-name brand cards so selling them will prove to be difficult. :(

Perhaps you consider them ordinary ones, but I'm thinking of DSLR's like the 5D series and lower.

Camera sales might just drop if a $700 card went into a 5D MK IV or a 6D MK II.

Upvote 0
dolina said:
What I am doing now is selling all my CF cards (2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB) at a good return and replacing them with 64GB ones that are 800x or faster.

Seriously?! People are buying 2GB, 4GB and 8GB second hand CF cards these days? How much did you sell them for? Even 16GB is pretty small, and hardly worth the effort and by that I mean for you and the buyer.

I have to agree with Mt Spokane in that at the moment CFast cards are extremely expensive. Of course the price will come down, all that is pretty obvious and standard economics, but right now the prices are very, very steep, no matter what camera you are looking at buying or own.

Upvote 0
dolina said:

I expect 1066x or 1100x CFast cards at 64GB, 128GB or 256GB to be equal in price with their CF card equivalent in 3-5 years time.

Perhaps you consider them ordinary ones, but I'm thinking of DSLR's like the 5D series and lower.

Camera sales might just drop if a $700 card went into a 5D MK IV or a 6D MK II.
I was unawares that the Mark 4 and Mark 2 will come out in 3-5 years from today. ;D

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
Seriously?! People are buying 2GB, 4GB and 8GB second hand CF cards these days? How much did you sell them for? Even 16GB is pretty small, and hardly worth the effort and by that I mean for you and the buyer.

I have to agree with Mt Spokane in that at the moment CFast cards are extremely expensive. Of course the price will come down, all that is pretty obvious and standard economics, but right now the prices are very, very steep, no matter what camera you are looking at buying or own.
Where I live Sandisk/Lexar CF cards are a rarity as compared to slow SDHC/SDXC cards. The most popular brand here is Transcend followed by Kingston.

There a lot of people still using old bodies like 40D, 50D, 5D Mark 1, 5D Mark 2 and the likes.

I noticed that my buyers are not that informed or do not care about specs. They shoot using One Shot Focus and not Continuous.

My guess is they bought it because it was convenient and "cheap".

When I offer my cards to people like myself they often turn me down as they find my CF cards too slow or small.

To repeat, in 3-5 years time when the 7D Mark 3 and 5D Mark 5 comes out the price of CFast will come down dramatically assuming all Cinema EOS, 1-Series bodies and other high end cameras from other brands adopt CFast cards.

I do not expect the 6D Mark II to go beyond SDXC cards as it is positioned as the "Rebel" of full frame.

Again, just to repeat I want all high end cameras to use CFast so in 3-5 years when the 7D Mark 3 and 5D Mark 5 comes out CFast will be cheap.

I have never experienced any of my cards fail me due to manufacturing defect so I do not mind "putting all the eggs in one basket". It is far more likely I misplace multiple cards than having one card per body.

If I could unload my 64GB cards that quickly I would have sold them locally at the price of 128GB 1066x cards that went on sale yesterday. I would have effectively doubled my storage capacity again. ;D

Upvote 0
dolina said:
expatinasia said:

Where I live Sandisk/Lexar CF cards are a rarity as compared to slow SDHC/SDXC cards. The most popular brand here is Transcend followed by Kingston.

There a lot of people still using old bodies like 40D, 50D, 5D Mark 1, 5D Mark 2 and the likes.

I noticed that my buyers are not that informed or do not care about specs. They shoot using One Shot Focus and not Continuous.

My guess is they bought it because it was convenient and "cheap".

Still curious as to how much you managed to sell a second hand 2GB, 4GB or even 8GB card for!

Even in the beautiful country of the Philippines, people with DSLRs tend to know a little about technology and how to get it cheaply. Many also know one or a few people working abroad who can get it for them cheaper too.

I frequently get given unused 2 and 8GB USB drives. I just give them away to friends for free as they aren't really worth anything and have probably depreciated further in value since I started writing this! CF cards may be a little different but not that different, and second hand ones as well!

As for the predictions, it is standard economics that the price will come down as more cameras and other tech stuff use it.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
Still curious as to how much you managed to sell a second hand 2GB, 4GB or even 8GB card for!

Even in the beautiful country of the Philippines, people with DSLRs tend to know a little about technology and how to get it cheaply. Many also know one or a few people working abroad who can get it for them cheaper too.

I frequently get given unused 2 and 8GB USB drives. I just give them away to friends for free as they aren't really worth anything and have probably depreciated further in value since I started writing this! CF cards may be a little different but not that different, and second hand ones as well!

As for the predictions, it is standard economics that the price will come down as more cameras and other tech stuff use it.
IIRC last year it was 300, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000? You can not just go to a mall and enter a Best Buy equivalent and find a CF card.

Believe me, not everyone is that up to date nor are they be interested in being up to date. People I sold these memory cards tend to have their eyes glaze over when I speak of gigabytes, megabytes, megahertz, etc etc.

It gets worse if I want to print at a local Wallgreens equivalent. They ask me to bring my own CF card reader because they have none.

Looking at BHPhoto SLRs that uses CF cards or a mix of CF+SDXC are seven for Canon, four for Nikon and one for Sigma. So it is not entirely unsurprising that CF cards are not a big seller here when you consider that a working photographer can get away with charging for using a Rebel.

If CFast cards still proves to be too expensive and not so popular by 2018-2020 I would speculate that instead of CFast cards it may end up being all SDXC cards for the 5D Mark 5 and 7D Mark 3. It would make it simpler for me as almost all Macs have a built-in SDXC reader connected via PCIe. Much much faster than any USB 3 card reader.

SD Version 4.0 allows for data transfer rate to a theoretical maximum of 156 MB/s (half duplex) or 312 MB/s (full duplex) using additional row of pins. Compare this to the max read/write of 167MB/s for CF cards.

Upvote 0
After a bit of digging on BHPhoto I must revise my forecast.

I think the direction (unfortunately) for the updates to the D810, Df, 5DS, 5DS R, 5D Mark IV & 7D Mark II is removal or supplementing CF slots with SDXC UHS-II slots.

At the moment the above mentioned bodies have a CF and SDXC UHS-I slots.

As for the 1D X replacement it is very much possible for it to use a CFast and CF card slot.

:mad:

Upvote 0
SDXC is the future for most DSLRs. It's less expensive to implement and the performance is on par with Compact Flash, which is tapped out. As for CFast, it will only be practical with the high-end DSLR models, which have the additional processing power (multiple DIGIC CPUs) to meet the performance of CFast. Canon needs to upgrade their DIGIC tech to newer multi-core ARM architecture instead of continuing to use the older and no longer developed ARM tech of yesteryear, simply because it's dirt cheap to license.

Upvote 0
dolina said:

dolina said:
You can not just go to a mall and enter a Best Buy equivalent and find a CF card.

Believe me, not everyone is that up to date nor are they be interested in being up to date. People I sold these memory cards tend to have their eyes glaze over when I speak of gigabytes, megabytes, megahertz, etc etc.

So they can buy DSLRs that take CF cards but are not interested in said cards?

I live in asia and travel to the Phils a lot, and those that tend to have DSLRs are a little more savvy than you suggest.

Anyway, I am just curious how much you sold your second hand 2GB and 4GB cards for?

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
So they can buy DSLRs that take CF cards but are not interested in said cards?

I live in asia and travel to the Phils a lot, and those that tend to have DSLRs are a little more savvy than you suggest.

Anyway, I am just curious how much you sold your second hand 2GB and 4GB cards for?
I don't argue with or question those who buy my used items. I wouldn't get anywhere if I did. ;D

See earlier post for pricing.

Upvote 0
dolina said:
gary samples said:
I was getting ready to buy a 128GB cfast card I love extreme pro's for my new 5dsr any good deals out there ? thanks
5dsr only takes CF UMDA 7 (160MB/s write) cards and SDXC UHS-I (95MB/s write) cards.
thanks' for the heads up I haven't seen there not compatible to bad

Upvote 0