Can a 7D do Landscapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
As an amateur I sold a nightscape to a company this early year after being published in a regional newspaper as a readers photograph for USD 1000. 00. No joke. This was taken by my current 30D and a EF-S 10-22. Therefore I strongly guess the 7D CAN do landscape as well. 8)
FYI: http://www.flickr.com/photos/guatitamasluz/5362831447/in/set-72157602075454706

Cheers, Pedro

Upvote 0
dtaylor said:
Congratulations on giving the 7D an honest run and discovering what it can do! Good shots, good comparisons, and good analysis. Your detailed post can serve as a guideline to future 7D/60D/T2i owners.

* Playing with an online DoF calculator is a great way to get a feel for what apertures are actually needed in different situations: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html.

Thanks!

As for DoF calculators... I personally use a simple DoF calculator on my iPhone. There are several good ones. One thing I like about the one I have is that you can set your camera and lenses and then it gives you tailored hyperfocal distances based on what you want in focus.

Upvote 0
S

strikerwy

I think your detailed report and break down of things is quite informative, but I've never questioned for a moment the 7Ds ability in the realm of landscape imagery. I am finding myself achieving stunning results with very little post-production. This is not an advertisement for myself, but you can see a number of landscapes taken with a 7D by following the link. 95% of the images posted were captured with my 7D. The other 5% came from a 50D. I think the images are a grand testimony to the ability of the camera to render my vision quite well.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1384191182#!/pages/Tim-Doolin-Photography/127209093980710

Upvote 0
strikerwy said:
I think your detailed report and break down of things is quite informative, but I've never questioned for a moment the 7Ds ability in the realm of landscape imagery. I am finding myself achieving stunning results with very little post-production. This is not an advertisement for myself, but you can see a number of landscapes taken with a 7D by following the link. 95% of the images posted were captured with my 7D. The other 5% came from a 50D. I think the images are a grand testimony to the ability of the camera to render my vision quite well.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1384191182#!/pages/Tim-Doolin-Photography/127209093980710

Nice photos - do you live out here in the west somewhere? I noticed quite a few from Yellowstone and the Tetons...

Maybe we could get together for a hike sometime...

Upvote 0
R

rebelphil

RC said:
friedmud said:
Yep, Live View is the way to go for manual focusing. I pop into live view, zoom all the way in on what I want to focus on, then manually focus until it's sharp. Then drop out of live view.

@ friedmud; I'd also like to say thanks for your insights. My, (limited), understanding is that when Live View is activated, the mirror automatically moves into the UP position. My questions are, (1) is there an advantage to dropping out of Live View before taking the shot as opposed to staying in it and taking the shot, and (2) does the mirror remain in the UP position after dropping out of Live View.? I assume that the mirror remains up until the shutter is released, but being somewhat new to the use of mirror lock up, I’m just seeking correct information or confirmation. Thanks, in advance.

Upvote 0

Pieces Of E

Canon owners and operators
Dec 10, 2011
www.piecesofeonline.com
friedmud, let me ask you a question, and please answer quickly and honestly. Are you happpy with your 7D? Because we're not. And I think you're not either, otherwise, why would you be doing all these tests and posts, etc. if you were a happy satisfied user/owner of the Canon EOS 7D?
Answer this post people, If the 7D had no issues, why would the internet be full of complaints of AF and ISO issues? We've upgraded 40D's to 7D's and are very unhappy with the bodies.
Camera body numbers 2971208672 & 2771211338, firmware 1.2.5. Shots done of moving objects are abhorrent and pathetic with zone AF, AI Servo, Custom Functions properly set.
We don't shoot little puppy dogs 5 feet from the camera, or boys jogging in a junior high school track race like Canon's commercials on Youtube, we are trying to shoot birds and animals in the REAL world and are getting fuzzy, noisy results. Need examples? We got 'em. Work for Canon? Get lost.

Upvote 0
Pieces Of E said:
friedmud, let me ask you a question, and please answer quickly and honestly. Are you happpy with your 7D? Because we're not. And I think you're not either, otherwise, why would you be doing all these tests and posts, etc. if you were a happy satisfied user/owner of the Canon EOS 7D?
Answer this post people, If the 7D had no issues, why would the internet be full of complaints of AF and ISO issues? We've upgraded 40D's to 7D's and are very unhappy with the bodies.
Camera body numbers 2971208672 & 2771211338, firmware 1.2.5. Shots done of moving objects are abhorrent and pathetic with zone AF, AI Servo, Custom Functions properly set.
We don't shoot little puppy dogs 5 feet from the camera, or boys jogging in a junior high school track race like Canon's commercials on Youtube, we are trying to shoot birds and animals in the REAL world and are getting fuzzy, noisy results. Need examples? We got 'em. Work for Canon? Get lost.

I'd be really interested to see your review of the 5D Af system.... :)

Upvote 0
D

DRD photo

Pieces Of E said:

I have a canon 7d, and I shot landscapes with a tokina 11-16 lens as well as the canon 17-40 L. The pictures are beautiful, and since shooting landscapes with my recently acquired Canon 5d mark ii, I see the difference in IQ between the 2 camera's, but the 7d is still more than impressive. Now onto the ridiculous post regarding issues with AF and ISO, well you should go back and check your EXIF info on your photo's as I shot a Large blue heron in flight and a junior league football with my 7D and a 150-500mm sigma lens with no issues at all. You maybe shooting at too slow of a shutter, or better yet using Zone AF for shooting moving animals is not recommended if I remember correctly. There is a wonderful link on the Canon website on the AF features of the 7D, I highly recommend it. And it does take some time to figure out the AF abilities of the Canon 7D coming from a 40D.

And I do not work for Canon. Good luck with your journey.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.