Can a lens make a camera's shutter behave differently?

I just got a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art for my R6. I noticed when shooting with it my camera's shutter sounds different, slower almost. But as far as I can tell it's working fine. It focuses properly and the exposures are all correct and everything. It freezes motion at fast shutter speeds as it should. Both the lens and camera are running the latest firmware. But the shutter definitely sounds slower and chunkier with only that lens on for some reason. Any ideas? Thanks.

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The typical check to see if something is changing in the camera is to put the lens on, and then slightly twist it back again so that it is attached, but not making contact with the electronics.

If that doesn't change the sound, maybe what you hear is caused by a difference in the lens acoustic properties? What are you comparing it to? I can't imagine how to produce a 'slower' sound though.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You are using the lens wide open? Stopping down can slow frame rates for sure.

Yeah, it's the same at f/1.4 1/8000 in bright sunlight as it is at 1/100 f/6.3 in more dim conditions. I suppose it's because the lens is an older design. Although, I actually love the lens. The IQ and build quality are quite good. I'd never need to shoot at 35mm that fast anyway, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't damaging the camera somehow.

Upvote 0
Sounds like a communication problem.
The lens is an ef mount and because it's not a Canon lens, the comms protocol between the Sigma lens and the R6 is relatively slow, and as the camera won't take a shot until it gets focus confirmation from the lens - the camera won't allow high speed shutter to work.
The lens is fine for one-shot mode, but it won't focus as fast as an RF lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0