Candy abstract

Jul 28, 2015
What I like about photography competitions at the local club is that taking up the challenge can really make you think of new ways of looking at a subject. Inspired by a photo I found online I set about trying to recreate it, and it wasn't as easy as you'd think.

This is a liquid drop on a sheet of glass above a bowl of candy - my wife thinks it looks 1960s-style pretty trippy.

Attachments

• Candy bowl-101.JPG
    Candy bowl-101.JPG
    743.7 KB · Views: 266
Jul 28, 2015
neuroanatomist said:
Cool shot.

Thanks.

neuroanatomist said:
Could also have been done digitally with a 'regular' shot of the bowl of candy, a few layers with offset circular crops and distort > spherize, over the image with blur applied for the background.
I realise that, smart-ass ;D. But it was fun was working out which liquid worked best and the relative bowl-glass-camera distances.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
After trying water ad nauseam I realised I needed the liquid to bead up and make a better lens, so I tried a couple of polishes (car wax makes water 'bead' but mucks up the glass, contact lens solution has wetting agents so does the opposite) I realised glycerine is just the thing. You can buy that from pharmacies or supermarkets under baking ingredients.

Upvote 0