Canon’s upcoming announcements recap

Sep 20, 2020
A mid-may or late may announcement for the R5ii makes sense if they don’t have all things sorted out yet or were afraid of having production issues (we all know what statement will be released hours after the R5mkii announcement…). But why didn‘t Canon announce at least a couple of lenses within the last six months? There are still holes (or in some cases huge gaps) in the current RF lineup and it would have been very well received to fill in at least a couple of them…
I am not concerned with lenses.
Canon is committed to releasing 7 or 8 lenses each year and has no problem releasing a bunch at the same time.
Canon has no such commitment with camera bodies.

Upvote 0
Some things that would make R5II a killer camera:

Pre shooting/recording in both still and video with a good size 3sec+ buffer

Eye control AF

Stacked BSI sensor 55mpx so it will do 9k oversampling footage

Handheld high resolution mode with RAW capability

Star tracker mode using IBIS

On sensor 4k and 2k video panning or animal tracking (let's see those AI features at work!)

1/1000+ flash sync
Agree strongly.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I hope that the CFe write speed won’t be capped to 400MByte/s like the R5 does.
Where did you find that the R5 is capped to 400MB/s?

Sustained 8K30 raw write speed is 2600Mb/s (~325MB/s) but in theory, burst write speed is faster. Originally, Canon released a table approving a few CFe cards for 8K30 recording but that table was never updated.
RFshooters tested 10 CFe cards where the R5 write speed is >500MB/s
https://rfshooters.com/blog/cameras/canon-r5/memory-cards/

Generally the limitation is the SD card so the fastest buffer clearance would be having only one card. The digital picture did some testing on the buffer depth in 2020 with CFe and/or SD card. Note the bit depth difference between 20fps electronic shutter and H/H+ mechanical shutter files.
https://www.the-digital-picture.com...-R6-Buffer-Capacity-During-High-Speed-Capture

What modes (mech/Eshutter) are you using? Have you tried cRaw options which will clear the buffer even faster?
The Nikon Z9 shows how beneficial a fast CFe card is when the buffer runs out.
It is my understanding that the fastest shooting speeds on the Z9 are not raw images like the R5 can record.

And I hope for CFe 4.0 support, the sustained write speeds of the cards on the market is already above 2000MByte/s!
Current faster CFe cards claim burst write speeds are >1500MB/s.
No need for CFe4 at this time unless you are internally recording 12K raw files. 1 minute recording at 2000MB/s would require a 120TB card capacity!

Upvote 0
Some things that would make R5II a killer camera:
Pre shooting/recording in both still and video with a good size 3sec+ buffer
Stacked BSI sensor 55mpx so it will do 9k oversampling footage
Do you mean a 55mp sensor with a 3+second buffer would be 60 images (3x20fps) x 55mp*14bit = 46GB buffer storage?
Prebuffering would eat into the 3 seconds buffer as well eg 0.5s pre +2.5s post shutter button press.
Assuming that the R5ii allows 20fps @ 14 bit depth vs 12 bit for the R5.

Note that the A1 does oversampling for 8k video but doesn't offer a raw mode... mostly because the CFe type A cards can't handle the bandwidth needed.

Upvote 0
Love Canon and have invested heavily in RF glass getting ready to offload our C300mk3s for a new FF RF Cinema cam. If it is not announced or coming soon, we have to jump to Sony.
I'm in the same situation. I was expecting an update to my C200 years ago and I've given up hope that will happen. I got a Komodo-X while waiting and I offset that with a C70 and R5. I also recently parted ways with my C200 (probably have to change my username at some point) and all my EF glass while I could still get a decent price for it. For me, I just need something more cinematic than the C70 right now. The Red Raptor would be a dream camera, but it's too far out of my budget. With Red's recent acquisition by Nikon, the future of the RF mount is also in question...and also all rumors at this point. The C300S would be ideal but I can't wait much longer without a bone of some sort - give me a leaked image or something. Hell, I'd be happy with an image of an early proof of concept or even patent request. The Fx9/Fx6 are expecting an update later this year so it is tempting to jump ship if Canon remains quiet. Especially with the higher-end Burano that just came out. Do I want to move to Sony? Honestly, no, but at this point, everything with Canon is just rumors (for the entire division!!!) and I'm tired of waiting for something that may never come when Sony is actually delivering. Fingers and toes crossed for some good news this weekend.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Where did you find that the R5 is capped to 400MB/s?

Sustained 8K30 raw write speed is 2600Mb/s (~325MB/s) but in theory, burst write speed is faster. Originally, Canon released a table approving a few CFe cards for 8K30 recording but that table was never updated.
RFshooters tested 10 CFe cards where the R5 write speed is >500MB/s
https://rfshooters.com/blog/cameras/canon-r5/memory-cards/

[…]
Earlier tests and what I observed myself pointed to 400-ish Mbyte/s, it’s nice that it’s slightly more, 520Mbyte/s, but that’s still way below what the cards can do.

Since Canon locks up the camera till the buffer is completely empty after pre-shooting, the faster, the better.

Upvote 0

clearlyed

R5, R5c, C200, c500 and loads of glass
Apr 20, 2020
incolorstudios.com
Love Canon and have invested heavily in RF glass getting ready to offload our C300mk3s for a new FF RF Cinema cam. If it is not announced or coming soon, we have to jump to Sony.
Same here. It just taking wayyyyyy to long and canon us now falling behind. They need to tease something incredible. Or release more often with smaller updates.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Have you heard ANYTHING on the rumored RF 24mm f/1.4 and the RF 14mm f/1.2 or f/1.4 (competitor to Sonys 14mm f1.8 GM). Sonys 14mm GM is awesome (great IQ, very compact and light) for astro BUT Canon has nothing to compete with this 14mm lens! So when can we realistically expect the Canon RF 14mm f1.2 or f/1.4?

A 14/1.2 would be a staggerinly huge lens in order to get any sort of decent optical performance out of it. Sigma has done well with compact lenses like the 85/1.4 DG DN and 50/1.2 DG DN but their 14/1.4 is still huge. Sony has done extremely well with the 14/1.8.

Canon has never managed to make a fast prime wider than 24mm, and many of their ultra-wide lenses on EF were not that good. It will be interesting to see how they do with ultra-wide on RF, Sony and Sigma have set the bar very, very high.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Same here. It just taking wayyyyyy to long and canon us now falling behind. They need to tease something incredible. Or release more often with smaller updates.
Releasing a €4500 camera each year that is only slightly different from its predecessor sounds very much like the Sony way of doing things: firmware updates are done by purchasing the newer model, not through free-as-in-beer downloads.

That sort of consumerism and e-waste generating nonsense rubs me the wrong way, like Shein does.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I'm in the same situation. I was expecting an update to my C200 years ago and I've given up hope that will happen. I got a Komodo-X while waiting and I offset that with a C70 and R5. I also recently parted ways with my C200 (probably have to change my username at some point) and all my EF glass while I could still get a decent price for it. For me, I just need something more cinematic than the C70 right now. The Red Raptor would be a dream camera, but it's too far out of my budget. With Red's recent acquisition by Nikon, the future of the RF mount is also in question...and also all rumors at this point. The C300S would be ideal but I can't wait much longer without a bone of some sort - give me a leaked image or something. Hell, I'd be happy with an image of an early proof of concept or even patent request. The Fx9/Fx6 are expecting an update later this year so it is tempting to jump ship if Canon remains quiet. Especially with the higher-end Burano that just came out. Do I want to move to Sony? Honestly, no, but at this point, everything with Canon is just rumors (for the entire division!!!) and I'm tired of waiting for something that may never come when Sony is actually delivering. Fingers and toes crossed for some good news this weekend.
Are you using the most basic of lenses?
The E-mount has nothing like my EF or RF lenses.
I am not against buying a Sony but I can't see ever switching.

BTW I find the Burano very disappointing.

Upvote 0
Releasing a €4500 camera each year that is only slightly different from its predecessor sounds very much like the Sony way of doing things: firmware updates are done by purchasing the newer model, not through free-as-in-beer downloads.

That sort of consumerism and e-waste generating nonsense rubs me the wrong way, like Shein does.

Come on, let's not get into hyberbole here. Sony uses the same 4 or 5 year release cycle as Canon and Nikon do. A1 was released in 2021 and is likely to be replaced in 2025. A9ii was released in 2019 and the A9iii was released in 2023.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Come on, let's not get into hyberbole here. Sony uses the same 4 or 5 year release cycle as Canon and Nikon do. A1 was released in 2021 and is likely to be replaced in 2025. A9ii was released in 2019 and the A9iii was released in 2023.
Do they? I suppose, if you cherry pick the less popular lines. There have been 15 a7-series models in the past 10 years. 5 of them have been a7R models, averaging a 2-year cycle. The others generally average a ~3 year cycle. The a7S II came out 18 months after the original.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
One other issue for Canon is price.....since the R52 will be most directly competing with the Z8, Canon won't be able to sustain a price above $4k, at least not for very long. I've seen new Z8's with US warranty as low as $3200 of late. IMO the Canon has to have a stacked sensor and improvements to its already good AF. The faster sensor readout and electronic shutter with no distortion are minimum requirements to be competitive now. On the AF front, Canon has lots to build on so I'm hoping for something faster and more accurate than the competition.

Upvote 0