Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II Lens Hood Falls Off?

I guess I'm not the only one who can't sleep this morning. :-\

So... I"m a little cranky. Is it too much to ask that a lens of this quality and price have a slightly better fitting lens hood? Come on Canon! This stuff is tested to death before it's released. Did no one notice that this (shorter but larger diameter than the 70-200) lens hood design just doesn't work as well as the previous bayonet design?

Waah. :'( :-[

OK, whine-fest rant is done. :-X

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
I lost two genuine hoods from my 24-70 f/2.8II, both lost during busy, very crowded events where I'm bumping into people, and squeezing past packed tables. Sometimes you've just got to shove through or miss the shot. I suspect the little release button was getting bumped. I bought another two cheapie clone hoods from eBay, and guess what, I've still got an unused spare. ???

There was a thread just like this last year some time, and someone suggested putting the hood on upside down which leaves the release button on the other side where it's arguably less vulnerable. Seems to work! Give it a try.

But yes, it's a definite design fault in this otherwise tantalizingly close to perfect lens.

-pw

Upvote 0
I've owned the ever popular 24-105 f/4L IS Lens since early 2010. It has seen it all. (Literally! LOL.) After 6 years of good service, it still works like new. No creep, etc.

The 24-105 Lens Hood (Bayonet style), if anything, is TIGHTER than when it was new. That hood has endured a lot of abuse to protect the lens. It has never fallen off. Sometimes it can be a pain to get it lined up when I flip it around to reattach it to put it back in the lens bag. But I can always rely on it to stay attached like it's glued on.

I was excited when I received the new 24-70 f/2.8 II with the button lock hood and easier/smoother attachment. (Since I have had great luck with the 70-200 f/2.8 II hood which is similar.)

Unfortunately, the 24-70 f/2.8 II button lock lens hood falls off easily. It's too loose and when hanging at my hip, it has fallen off numerous times and no, my hip is not hitting the button, it is always positioned to the outside.

Anyone else have this problem? The hood doesn't look broken, cracked or otherwise compromised. It just doesn't stay attached as well as the 70-200 hood. Why?? I think it might flex a bit easier but I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0