Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II Lens Hood Falls Off?

I've owned the ever popular 24-105 f/4L IS Lens since early 2010. It has seen it all. (Literally! LOL.) After 6 years of good service, it still works like new. No creep, etc.

The 24-105 Lens Hood (Bayonet style), if anything, is TIGHTER than when it was new. That hood has endured a lot of abuse to protect the lens. It has never fallen off. Sometimes it can be a pain to get it lined up when I flip it around to reattach it to put it back in the lens bag. But I can always rely on it to stay attached like it's glued on.

I was excited when I received the new 24-70 f/2.8 II with the button lock hood and easier/smoother attachment. (Since I have had great luck with the 70-200 f/2.8 II hood which is similar.)

Unfortunately, the 24-70 f/2.8 II button lock lens hood falls off easily. It's too loose and when hanging at my hip, it has fallen off numerous times and no, my hip is not hitting the button, it is always positioned to the outside.

Anyone else have this problem? The hood doesn't look broken, cracked or otherwise compromised. It just doesn't stay attached as well as the 70-200 hood. Why?? I think it might flex a bit easier but I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Dekaner

CR Pro
Apr 5, 2014
Re: 24-70 f/2.8 II Lens Hood Falls Off?

I have had similar problems with it not 'locking' on to the lens as tightly as I'd like. It is a similar design as the 70-200 f/2.8 II, so you'd think it would be as solid, but it's not. My guess is the plastic is softer and/or shorter which allows it to flex. It's really an annoyance every now and again, but not enough to reach out to Canon as I doubt there is a resolution.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012

It is also the only hood that I've had come off when I wasn't expecting it. If I hadn't heard it bounce on the floor, I wouldn't even had known that it had come off. It's likely that I had bumped the button while having it on a BR strap. It's only happened once, but now I'm more careful to check it more frequently.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

I've never had mine come off, it is looser than previous hoods. I think its thinner, and of a stronger more flexible plastic.

Having worked with plastics and the manufacturing processes, its easy to hace your settings wrong by a little, and the result is a product that is not the right size. It might be off by a tiny amount, or, it might change dimensions later after it passes the check for proper size. Stress relief can cause it to change too. This is not supposed to happen, but I've seen it too often.

Upvote 0

Based on replies so far, I agree with the previous comments...

- it is a looser fit than the 70-200
- the hood is thinner / more flexible
- the hood is easy to attach incorrectly
- I wish attaching it carefully / correctly fixed it for me but so far, no luck!
- it's possible a very slight defect exists in the plastic design/sizing that isn't worth a service call

My main goal with this thread was to see if others have experienced similar problems and while I don't like the problem, I'm glad I'm not crazy. Several of you have described my exact experience. Walking along and either I hear it fall for no reason or a scout runs up and hands it to me from behind. I'm just glad I haven't damaged, lost or had it broken when someone stepped on it by accident.

Please post if anyone discovered some kind of solution, advisory or possible Canon recall that I missed. You never know, it's possible a serial number group may have shipped with a a bad batch.

The problem is that a simple solution is difficult because the focus ring is directly behind the hood so I can't just put some gaffer tape there to ensure it stays put. Grrr. :( Maybe some kind of thin shim or rubber band....

I happen to be one of those cavalier shooters that takes my gear everywhere to various events / places, mostly camping in the outdoor back country, carrying it all day on a simple sling strap on my hip. The lens hood + clear filter is about all I rely on to protect the lens. So it's rare I don't have a lens hood in place for this reason. I don't use fancy bags or other types of 'skins'. I usually clean the lens (filter) with sandpaper (my t-shirt) unless I'm in my office. After many years of this method I have taken tens of thousands of images and I haven't had any problems other than this 24-70 lens hood issue.

Thanks for all the comments so far!! :D

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN

Funny timing for this post. My 24-70 f2.8 II is two years old and the hood fell off for the first time about an hour ago when I bumped it against a door jam. But, it did deflect the lens away from the door jam and the wall, which is why I leave it on at all times.

My 70-200 f2.8 II is my most used lens. In three years, its hood has fallen off only a few times.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro

RustyTheGeek said:
I've owned the ever popular 24-105 f/4L IS Lens since early 2010. It has seen it all. (Literally! LOL.) After 6 years of good service, it still works like new. No creep, etc.

The 24-105 Lens Hood (Bayonet style), if anything, is TIGHTER than when it was new. That hood has endured a lot of abuse to protect the lens. It has never fallen off. Sometimes it can be a pain to get it lined up when I flip it around to reattach it to put it back in the lens bag. But I can always rely on it to stay attached like it's glued on.

I was excited when I received the new 24-70 f/2.8 II with the button lock hood and easier/smoother attachment. (Since I have had great luck with the 70-200 f/2.8 II hood which is similar.)

Yup!

Must be careful on this one.

But, I love this lens to death.
Sek

Unfortunately, the 24-70 f/2.8 II button lock lens hood falls off easily. It's too loose and when hanging at my hip, it has fallen off numerous times and no, my hip is not hitting the button, it is always positioned to the outside.

Anyone else have this problem? The hood doesn't look broken, cracked or otherwise compromised. It just doesn't stay attached as well as the 70-200 hood. Why?? I think it might flex a bit easier but I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

nc0b

5DsR
Dec 3, 2013
Colorado

My 24-105mm hood is really tight, mounted either way, and has never fallen off. The way it works I think it would be impossible to fall off. Likewise with a Zeiss 18mm f3.5 lens hood, no way it could fall off. Have never had my 70-200mm II hood fall off, and have only had the 100-400mm II for a few weeks. It is a little more finicky when mounting it normal or reversed. I love the built-in hoods of the 400mm f/5.6 and 300mm f/4. Too bad newer lenses aren't that convenient. The hood for the 16-35mm f/4 is a little looser than any other lenses I have. I do a lot of walking on the Pawnee Grass Land in Colorado, so if a hood ever fell off I likely would never hear it fall.

Upvote 0

A quick update... I received the JJC 3rd party lens hood. Price was right and other than the black velvet on the inside of the hood, it is virtually identical to the OEM hood in every way... including the loose fit. :(

So... like so many other highly thought out and engineered fixes... out came the gaffer tape. Problem solved with a small black strip near the button. It was easier than I thought and now solid as a rock. Plus, now I have a low priced hood that I don't mind damaging or losing. In fact, I'll probably add more gaffer tape to the outside of the hood in case of future need and to make the hood feel more dense and less "plastic-y".

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

RustyTheGeek said:

- I wish attaching it carefully / correctly fixed it for me but so far, no luck!
- it's possible a very slight defect exists in the plastic design/sizing that isn't worth a service call

My main goal with this thread was to see if others have experienced similar problems and while I don't like the problem, I'm glad I'm not crazy. Several of you have described my exact experience. Walking along and either I hear it fall for no reason or a scout runs up and hands it to me from behind. I'm just glad I haven't damaged, lost or had it broken when someone stepped on it by accident.

Please post if anyone discovered some kind of solution, advisory or possible Canon recall that I missed. You never know, it's possible a serial number group may have shipped with a a bad batch.

The problem is that a simple solution is difficult because the focus ring is directly behind the hood so I can't just put some gaffer tape there to ensure it stays put. Grrr. :( Maybe some kind of thin shim or rubber band....

I happen to be one of those cavalier shooters that takes my gear everywhere to various events / places, mostly camping in the outdoor back country, carrying it all day on a simple sling strap on my hip. The lens hood + clear filter is about all I rely on to protect the lens. So it's rare I don't have a lens hood in place for this reason. I don't use fancy bags or other types of 'skins'. I usually clean the lens (filter) with sandpaper (my t-shirt) unless I'm in my office. After many years of this method I have taken tens of thousands of images and I haven't had any problems other than this 24-70 lens hood issue.

If Sigma does not have a fix, those with issues need to write or bug them for a fix. They do not get reliable feedback from reading forums unless its a really serious issue.

You can get thin mylar tape that might build up the area inside the hood without being visible when the hood is removed. Mylar is tough and does not degrade with age. That blue tape that comes with printers is mylar. It needs to be thin enough to countour to the internal bayonet. I have no idea if it will help.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography said:
RustyTheGeek said:

If Sigma does not have a fix, those with issues need to write or bug them for a fix. They do not get reliable feedback from reading forums unless its a really serious issue.

You can get thin mylar tape that might build up the area inside the hood without being visible when the hood is removed. Mylar is tough and does not degrade with age. That blue tape that comes with printers is mylar. It needs to be thin enough to countour to the internal bayonet. I have no idea if it will help.

Thanks for the idea! Also, FYI - this is a Canon Lens, not Sigma. (But I get the point.)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
My 24-70mm 2.8 II hood is a PITA, easy to put on wrong, then hard to get off quickly.

But it has never fallen off.

The other hood I don't like, because it is just too tight and feels like I'm wrenching the mounts if I don't hold the lens during removal, is the Sigma 35mm Art. But it doesn't fall off either.

Upvote 0