Sony officially announces the FE 24-50mm f/2.8 G Lens

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The FE 24-50mm f/2.8 G is designed for Sony Alpha full-frame E-mount mirrorless cameras, but it also works with APS-C sensor cameras (with an effective focal length of 36-75mm due to the 1.5x crop factor). Here’s what you need to know about this lens: The Sony FE 24-50mm f/2.8 G Lens offers a compelling alternative for photographers

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
If Canon goes for a lightweight general purpose zoom, personally, I hope it is more of a RF 20-60 f/4 L (ideally) or RF 24-70 f/4 L (still acceptable). For lightweight, I would prefer a bit more focal length flexibility over a stop faster aperture.

A lightweight flexible general purpose zoom is something I am waiting on.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
If Canon goes for a lightweight general purpose zoom, personally, I hope it is more of a RF 20-60 f/4 L (ideally) or RF 24-70 f/4 L (still acceptable). For lightweight, I would prefer a bit more focal length flexibility over a stop faster aperture.

A lightweight flexible general purpose zoom is something I am waiting on.
I recently bought the RF24-105 F/4L as a compromise between aperture and size, the lenses you mention above would have been more to my liking :)

I’m still very happy with the 24-105, it is exactly what I thought it would be.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I recently bought the RF24-105 F/4L as a compromise between aperture and size, the lenses you mention above would have been more to my liking :)

I’m still very happy with the 24-105, it is exactly what I thought it would be.
You must have got a good one, since there seem to be copy variations. Mine was just OK, but definitely not as good as the EF 24-70 F4.
Guess which one I kept, yet knowing that there are some very good 24-105 around.
As OpticalLimits often stated, it is far from easy producing an excellent "standard" zoom. Fact is, a standard zoom lags behind similar focal length primes. Not so tele-zooms.
Therefore, I'd rather see a 24-50 than a 20-60, less extreme is often better, meaning less optical compromises. Sadly, moderate zooms do not sell that well, think of the really great Sigma 24-35 F2.
But I still expect some good Canon surprises...

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
You must have got a good one, since there seem to be copy variations. Mine was just OK, but definitely not as good as the EF 24-70 F4.[…]
The important bit for me that it needed to be better than my EF24-105L, the mark I version. The RF cleared that low bar easily :)

My copy of the RF is not as sharp as the one I rented years ago, but only slightly. Sharp enough for my uses, if I want better sharpness I’ll use a (non-L) prime.

Upvote 0