canon-300mm f1.8, Exotic or what

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Antono Refa said:
Pippan said:
I'm wondering what use 6" of DOF would be in a photofinish.

The fast aperture could have been made for other reasons, say to shorten the exposure time in order to get a sharp photo (the horses are running fast at the finish line), or due to the low light, e.g. evening or overcast weather.

From the petapixel page, you can read they used it to expose 10000 strips of film per second, effectively meaning they'd need to use ISO800 at f/1.8 at LV12 (heavily overcast). ISO100 for sunny weather. Sounds reasonable.

At 100 meter distance you wouldn't be able to frame a 20m wide race track on a 24mm long strip of film but still have 250lp/ph resolution at the image extremes at f/1.8 looking down at a plane at a 30° angle, so unless the cameras were mounted way lower than it looks from the picture or ran 120 film using a slightly larger than average imaging circle for an EF mount lens (there might be a bit of margin left at f/1.8), I doubt the aperture would be the limiting factor for deciding who won. I'm more inclined to say the very speedy development and sometimes high sensitivity film needed would be the limiting factors.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Cochese said:
Dylan777 said:
Great balance when mount it to an A9 ;D

My guess it's an autofocus lens. If not, than I cannot for the life of me figure out why they'd have a focus limit switch on the body. Style? Looks? Took the body from another lens, but was too lazy to just cover that area up with a blank plate?

Most likely they simply pre-focuse it on the mid of the finish line.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
hne said:
Antono Refa said:
Pippan said:

The fast aperture could have been made for other reasons, say to shorten the exposure time in order to get a sharp photo (the horses are running fast at the finish line), or due to the low light, e.g. evening or overcast weather.

From the petapixel page, you can read they used it to expose 10000 strips of film per second, effectively meaning they'd need to use ISO800 at f/1.8 at LV12 (heavily overcast). ISO100 for sunny weather. Sounds reasonable.

At 100 meter distance you wouldn't be able to frame a 20m wide race track on a 24mm long strip of film but still have 250lp/ph resolution at the image extremes at f/1.8 looking down at a plane at a 30° angle

By the end of the race, all the horses have converged on the inner tracks, same as runners do in the Olympics when running more than 400m, so they might need to frame 10m, or even less.

Upvote 0
This is amazing, and I thought the Nikon 300mm F/2 was already pushing the optics to the limit.

I'm pretty sure this lens sucks for everything else than gathering lots of light, image quality must be abysmal, but it served it's purpose of getting the most light to allow them to identify the winning horse.

I wonder what the technology limit is for these lenses. Could they do a 400mm f/2 if they wanted? I think so, it just wouldn't be practical (too expensive, to heavy, too large). But could they do a 400mm f/1.4?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
LDS said:
Mancubus said:
But could they do a 400mm f/1.4?

Sure, but can you also afford the self-propelled vehicle to carry it around, and the electric-driven turret to aim it? :D

You laugh, Leica made a 1700mm f4 as a custom order for a Middle Eastern customer, along with the lens came a custom Mercedes G Wagon with a fixed mount for it in the back.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
privatebydesign said:
You laugh, Leica made a 1700mm f4 as a custom order for a Middle Eastern customer, along with the lens came a custom Mercedes G Wagon with a fixed mount for it in the back.

AFAIK there have been a Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 1700mm f/4 (with an Hasselblad mount), and a Leica 1600mm f/5.6, both made for Middle-East customers.

I didn't know about the car, but it looks to me a welcome accessory to put in the box, together the shade, though. While Canon doesn't add the shade of tripod mount with some lenses... :D

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
Jopa said:
Cochese said:
Dylan777 said:

My guess it's an autofocus lens. If not, than I cannot for the life of me figure out why they'd have a focus limit switch on the body. Style? Looks? Took the body from another lens, but was too lazy to just cover that area up with a blank plate?

Most likely they simply pre-focuse it on the mid of the finish line.

Weird it had me quote the wrong reply.
But if they prefocused it, there'd be no need for a focus distance limit switch on a manual focus lens.

Upvote 0

Nov 9, 2013
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Antono Refa said:
hne said:
Antono Refa said:
Pippan said:

At 100 meter distance you wouldn't be able to frame a 20m wide race track on a 24mm long strip of film but still have 250lp/ph resolution at the image extremes at f/1.8 looking down at a plane at a 30° angle

By the end of the race, all the horses have converged on the inner tracks, same as runners do in the Olympics when running more than 400m, so they might need to frame 10m, or even less.

not if were being used in quarter horse racing, you could have up to 8 wide from the inner or out part of the track

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Cochese said:
Dylan777 said:

Yes, it autofocus. More photos at PetaPixel now, including this one:

autofocus.jpg

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
100 said:
There is a Zeiss Jena 400 f/1.5 but it’s kind of slow compared to a Super Schmidt telescope 510mm f/0.96 ;-)

https://patricelaborda.jimdo.com/2015/03/17/extreme-lenses-for-extreme-pictures/

Yes, but let's stick to photo lenses, telescopes are usually designed differently for a different use, and designs using mirrors usually means a fixed aperture.

Also lenses designed for visual use (especially wartime ones designed for spotting and aiming) may not need to be apochromatic, nor usually need a large corrected field of view, greatly simplifying the design.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
My observations, for what they're worth.

I think there are probably significantly more than 4 of these around. But the vast majority are in the hand of agencies that would generally not invite PetaPixel in to see them.

We know that Canon does custom work for intelligence agencies, etc. I would be very surprised if this was not one of those projects. I'd also expect at least the 95 part of the serial number to be accurate.

This would explain the secrecy behind the lens. I would also not be surprised if this is the case that this particular lens is still at least on paper owned by Canon and that these lenses are rented out whilst remaining the property of Canon to prevent resale. Or at least that may have been the case in the past.

Upvote 0