Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art Sharpness Tests from Lensrentals.com

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Roger at Lensrentals.com has put the brand new Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art through OLAF testing and compared it to various lenses of the same focal length, most notably the Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II.</p>
<p><strong>From Roger:</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>Let’s face it, there hasn’t been an impressive 14mm prime for SLRs for a while, and I haven’t heard the natives banging on the castle doors demanding one. But for some people this is going to be a really fun lens. I consider it reasonably priced for what it is; a unique and excellent lens that hasn’t been made before. I shot real-estate for a brief moment in time, and I would have killed for this lens then. And I like playing with ultra-wide images in general, so I’m kind of excited about it. It won’t be a huge fraction of my images, but it will be a tool I didn’t really have before.</p>
<p>A lot of people will never shoot 14mm and will never notice this lens exists. But for those who do, the <a href="https://www.lensrentals.com/search?q=Sigma+14mm+f%2F1.8+Art">Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art Lens</a> is probably going to be a fascinating lens indeed. <a href="https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/07/sharpness-tests-of-the-sigma-14mm-f1-8-dg-hsm-art/">Read the full review</a></p></blockquote>
<p>It shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art is better than the much older Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II as far as optical performance goes.</p>
<p>Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art: <strong><a href="https://bhpho.to/2rkYCub">B&H Photo</a></strong> | <strong><a href="https://mpex.com/sigma-14mm-f1-8-dg-hsm-art-lens-canon.html?acc=3">MPEX</a></strong> | <a href="http://www.awin1.com/cread.php?awinaffid=292297&awinmid=6241&p=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.parkcameras.com%2Fp%2FG242324C%2Fcanon-lenses-ef-mount%2Fsigma%2F14mm-f18-dg-hsm-art-ultra-wide-angle-canon-fit-lens">Park Cameras</a> (UK)</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I always love Roger's tests, reviews and helpful tech insights and opinions from lensrentals.com

This Sigma 14mm f/1.8 lens is truly a great piece of glass... and well done Sigma for keeping the lens impressive in optics, as well as a 'decent' price for what it is: a magnificently wide, fast - yet sharp lens.

You know... although I do not currently own a FF, I may be tempted to buy this lens, as I also love the 14mm FOV on a Canon crop (about 22.6mm equivalent in 35mm format).

Cheers, CR for the link to the article, and for being one of my main sources of gear-fix on the internet.

PJ 8)

Upvote 0
i picked up a copy of the sigma 14 today (mate at camera shop offered me a too good of a price that i just couldn't refuse) and from little time i had to test (brick wall) it pretty much mirrored Roger's finding, my copy's very sharp wide open in the centre which extends past mid frame, only really soften up at extreme corners (edge still looks very good), distortion is well controlled (simple barrel), vignetting practically gone stopping down to f2.4, only thing left for me to test is coma which i am hoping to do soon

full frame:
Sigma 14mm f/1.8 ART Test by Tony, on Flickr

top right corner crop:
Sigma 14mm f/1.8 ART Test Top Right Corner Crop by Tony, on Flickr

centre crop:
Sigma 14mm f/1.8 ART Test Centre Crop by Tony, on Flickr

i did the test shot from less than 1m away from the wall (wall not big enough to shoot from further back lol) but distortion still looks quite ok and i am sure a non issue out in the field, but so far very happy with what i am seeing

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
And a jillion astro photographers smash their keyboards in frustration that they still don't have coma data yet.

- A

Lol. Agreed... But as an astro photographer I don't need autofocus on this lens, so the new Rokinon SP 14mm f2.4 is way at the top of my list. It's amazingly sharp and about half the price. Based on what I've seen from the Rokinon, I can't image the Sigma will be worth the extra money for me personally.

Upvote 0
Angler13 said:
ahsanford said:
And a jillion astro photographers smash their keyboards in frustration that they still don't have coma data yet.

- A

Lol. Agreed... But as an astro photographer I don't need autofocus on this lens, so the new Rokinon SP 14mm f2.4 is way at the top of my list. It's amazingly sharp and about half the price. Based on what I've seen from the Rokinon, I can't image the Sigma will be worth the extra money for me personally.

Agree, although a lower ISO setting will be great as well.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Angler13 said:
ahsanford said:

- A

If the vignetting is better and the resolution and the corner rendering is better similarly good then I think it is worth it for me... Like Mr Sanford I'm still waiting for a complete assessment.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
StudentOfLight said:
If the vignetting is better and the resolution and the corner rendering is better similarly good then I think it is worth it for me... Like Mr Sanford I'm still waiting for a complete assessment.

I'm actually not in the market, nor am I an astro shooter. I just find the phenomenon of...

[list type=decimal]
[*]An (ideal for) astro lens gets announced,
[*]Anticipation for reviews builds up,
[*]The review damns its coma performance
[*]Astro shooters' hopes are dashed
[/list]

...to be a real Tantalus/Sissyphus sort of situation.

I don't revel in their disappointment, mind you -- I'm hopeful this lens delivers and the cycle can be broken, but it's possible physics can only be tamed to a certain degree and astro folks are hoping for too much. Time will tell.

- A

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
basketballfreak6 said:
... i had to test (brick wall) ...
Oh, I love the artistic approach in these brick wall tests ;)

Or as another Roger once said:
"All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall."

Seriously:
Thank you for posting, quite impressive.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:

- A

i am hoping to change that soon lol, hoping for a clear night over the next week when i have a day off and i will be out doing some MW stuff

Maximilian said:
basketballfreak6 said:
... i had to test (brick wall) ...
Oh, I love the artistic approach in these brick wall tests ;)

Or as another Roger once said:
"All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall."

Seriously:
Thank you for posting, quite impressive.

lol all good, i actually did shots around the house and backyard and can definitely confirm at least that the sharpness is excellent, but yea brick walls are easier to demonstrate any issues haha

Upvote 0
Angler13 said:
ahsanford said:

- A

TDP's review of the Samyang 14mm f/2.4 was pretty underinspiring as are their sample images. Compared with the much cheaper 14mm f/2.8 distortion is better controlled, but sharpness takes a step backward or sideways anyway. I'm looking forward to the coma results on the new Sigma lens. Given that it is razor sharp and f/1.8 this could be the killer night sky lens astrophotographers have been waiting for.

Upvote 0
bholliman said:
Angler13 said:
ahsanford said:

- A

TDP's review of the Samyang 14mm f/2.4 was pretty underinspiring as are their sample images. Compared with the much cheaper 14mm f/2.8 distortion is better controlled, but sharpness takes a step backward or sideways anyway. I'm looking forward to the coma results on the new Sigma lens. Given that it is razor sharp and f/1.8 this could be the killer night sky lens astrophotographers have been waiting for.

i actually had the 14 2.4 from samyang for a little while and thought the sharpness was very good and very acceptable even to the corners wide open...except my copy had an issue with top right corner being bad no matter the f stop (i can get it looking good but it seems to throw focus out slightly rest of the frame, not sure if it's some kind of misalignment of elements or whatever), i got in contact with the distributor of samyang lenses in australia and was told that he had quite a few copies sent back indicating quality control issues at least with the batch he had, so i ended up returning it

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
basketballfreak6 said:
bholliman said:
Angler13 said:
ahsanford said:

- A

i actually had the 14 2.4 from samyang for a little while and thought the sharpness was very good and very acceptable even to the corners wide open...except my copy had an issue with top right corner being bad no matter the f stop (i can get it looking good but it seems to throw focus out slightly rest of the frame, not sure if it's some kind of misalignment of elements or whatever), i got in contact with the distributor of samyang lenses in australia and was told that he had quite a few copies sent back indicating quality control issues at least with the batch he had, so i ended up returning it

OK....I am looking at this lens..and being patient....
I also have a copy of the Sam Yang 14mm f/2.4 SP. Got one new on eBay for $800 upon introduction to the market. My copy is well made and also VERY sharp, across the image wide open, and razor sharp stopped down just a little. Just like Dustin Abbott found here:
https://dustinabbott.net/2017/04/rokinon-samyang-sp-14mm-f2-4-review
His reviews are some of the most comprehensive anywhere...and I find TDP reviews to be not as thorough.
I agree with what is said above about variation of copies...similar to Sam Yang's cheaper lenses....It's an issue...
so you have to buy from a GOOD seller and roll the dice, test and return if not accurate.
I am using mine for astro and love it...but I am considering the Sigma in the future after it is out in the market place for a while and we have more reviews, and the price may drop a little. If the coma is good and I have AF it could be a good astro and better all-rounder for me.
Edit: Actually I have the Rokinon 14mm f/2.4 SP. (not Sam Yang). I do not think there is any difference....but perhaps my batch of Rokinons got better quality control as it is a very sharp lens. Also....just a note..You do get exif data and "rough" focus confirmation....it is not that accurate. Best bet is live view on a Canon and check your focus....or stop down and use your eyeball and the lens AF comfirmation...its in the ballpark.

I do not shoot brick walls..and not posting any of my test shots as I am not a lens tester....but here is a image from my lens...
https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/116552085080094054623/6442014239263850354?icm=false&authkey=CJqJ8YDj5Nyb2gE
Shot in the rain...and heavily manipulated...but oh well!!!! LOL!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
YuengLinger said:
Wouldn't be giving this lens a second thought if Canon had made a practical 14-24 f/2.8 instead of the novelty monster 11-24 f/4.

As things are, hmmm, very interesting!

I would have said the same thing but I got the 11-24 anyway and now I'd have to say a 14-24 f2.8 wouldn't have brought anything new to the table, the 11-24 did.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I was going to purchase the Sigma 12-24 F4 Art lens but decided against the purchase due to dreaded focus shift issue discovered by Bryan of TDP. I am now considering the 14 F1.8 Art lens but only after Bryan confirmed that there is no focus shift issue exists with the lens.

"... ……… I mentioned the caveat. What I didn’t notice during this shoot was focus shift. As this lens is stopped down, the plane of sharp focus shifts farther away. Because Canon cameras focus with a wide open aperture, this change is not accounted for during either viewfinder or Live View-based focusing (AF or MF). Stopped down manual focusing in Live View will account for the change, but … this is not how we typically focus..."

Read more: http://www.canonrumors.com/review-sigma-12-24mm-f4-dg-hsm-art/#ixzz4mfi2fmE6

Upvote 0