Canon 5D mark 3 in-camera HDR shots

So, I think I'll start a 5d3 in-camera HDR shots. Here are a few from today testing out the TS-E 24mm I'm borrowing through Canon CPS. Really cool lens, very interesting using it. Mostly was using Art Vivid, but I think the first one there is Natural.

Attachments

• 2012081513206.jpg
    2012081513206.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 10,115
  • 2012081513226.jpg
    2012081513226.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 8,508
  • 2012081513328.jpg
    2012081513328.jpg
    726.2 KB · Views: 7,762
  • 2012081513378.jpg
    2012081513378.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 7,656
Maybe this will be the new trend in HDR, find the crazies in-camera HDR that you can find and post it!

Personally, I actually found #3 to be the most interesting. The sorta pixelated & blurred is unique. Not something you'd really ever see if you HDR'd it properly.

EDIT: I also found #2 to be fairly nice. The crazy blur/plane of focus is due to the Tilt-Shift lens, not the HDR process. At least not mostly. I think I had a small bit of shift, maybe not, and a pretty good tilt after a 90 degree rotation.

Upvote 0
I actually find the 5d3 In camera HDR extremely useful for travel shots.
I recently went to several places by the beach (Santa Monica etc) and with the bright sunlight, and the location of the sun, i had many shots that have the people underexposed because of shooting into the sun.

On ideal shoots, you'll use an ND Filter or photoshop to recover shadows and highlights etc…but when travelling, i don't want to have to do any of that..i don't even shoot in RAW..i want everything as simple as can be.

This is where i find the HDR feature extremely useful. For shots that have too large a range from highlights to shadows, i just use the in camera HDR and it solves almost EVERYTHING…i rather have an image where i can see everything but look "fake" than have an image that have underexposed areas especially family faces that you can't see.

here's an example of how the HDR helped…without it, the building would've been so dark you won't see it clearly at all. This is just one example..i've use the HDR ALOT during my trip since it was much easier than struggling with filters and locking exposures and taking multiple shots etc…HDR is a quick fix for normal generic shooting.

603832_10150982430352861_621491343_n.jpg

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I found the "natural" setting to be most to my liking, but it didn't do much, other than make a normal metered image duller.

I trust in Photomatix and a natural look to expand DR, not to see it like I am aón acid.

The TS lenses on the other hand are wonderful. I'm trying to sell my 17mm, but impossible to get rid of! People just don't get how great it is I think. Tons of 14 L II's going away the moment the add is placed.....

Upvote 0
Ricku said:
That's terrible! :D

Maybe in camera HDR will be good in 5D Mark 5 or 6, but right now it is truly useless.

It has it's uses. I think it does a pretty good job of removing ghosting for an in camera operation, however I find the need to PP them in LR or CS5 later on to look their best. One thing I always need to do it increase contrast and reduce saturation.

Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of HDR and i agree that true HDR is best done PP.
However like i mentioned, for quick general shooting especially during vacations where you take hundreds of photos and don't want to spend you nights in the hotel room doing PP, the in camera HDR does work sometimes when you don't have the luxury time to do trial and error.
in fact, as much as possible, i don't want to carry around a big bag with all my filters and tripods etc..i just carry the camera and 1 lens so in a situation like the one i posted above where i was shooting into the sun directly, without the HDR, this photo would never have worked.
You might say i'm facing the wrong direction, shooting in the wrong time of the day etc..but it is what it is..i was there at that time and i was shooting that position..just imagine a person standing there..without HDR, you will never be able to correctly expose him.

I'm not sure what Canon had in mind when they included this feature int he camera but i'm sure glad they did…Althougth i's only use it 1% of my shots…at least it's there to save the shots that otherwise will not be captured properly

Upvote 0
DB said:
For some reason they all look very blurry. Perhaps it might be a good idea to put the camera on a tripod, then test in-camera HDR versus multiple bracketed exposures of the same composition, that are then processed in PS or Photomatix etc.

All shots were done on a tripod. You'll notice I was playing with the TS-E 24mm Tilt-Shift lens, which allows selective focus and moving around the plane of focus and other tricks like that. There's also quite a bit of movement in one or two of those shots, which combined with a slower shutter speed would make parts of it blurry.

Viggo said:
I found the "natural" setting to be most to my liking, but it didn't do much, other than make a normal metered image duller.

I trust in Photomatix and a natural look to expand DR, not to see it like I am aón acid.

The TS lenses on the other hand are wonderful. I'm trying to sell my 17mm, but impossible to get rid of! People just don't get how great it is I think. Tons of 14 L II's going away the moment the add is placed.....

I agree, I find the natural setting generally gives better HDR images, but it comes out much duller and flatter than a plain old image. I was using the Art Vivid to "pop" the colors, although in some (well, most) cases it went a bit overboard.

Hmmmm...how much are you looking to part with the 17mm? Probably more than I can pay right now, especially since there's only a small amount of stuff I'd use it on. Ah well, I can dream, right?

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
blaydese said:
Very nice stuff, I enjoy the enthusiastic effects you've produced and glad to see someone suing the in camera HDR effect. Canon put it there for a reason.

Keep up the great work !

Peace! 8)
I totally agree ... forget the nay sayers, you cannot please everyone ... I liked the pics and I'm sure many people will like them as well.

Upvote 0
#3 is a great shot. I'm not sure if that's ghosting in the ferris wheel or just how it lit up, but either way it's a nice effect!

I'll probably never use in-camera HDR. It's a point and shoot gimmick that found its way into SLRs. I do like HDR, and it certainly has its uses... but the shot needs to be properly processed, and there's just no way to do this with the camera taking wild stabs at what it thinks the best exposure/values should be for HDR.

If I ever need to get a quick HDR shot in the field, I'll just use my iPhone + app. Results will be MUCH better, given that you control them. Otherwise, it's bracketing and PP HDR for me.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
pierceography said:
I'll probably never use in-camera HDR. It's a point and shoot gimmick that found its way into SLRs.

If I ever need to get a quick HDR shot in the field, I'll just use my iPhone + app. Results will be MUCH better, given that you control them.
I find that hard to believe, but I would like to see an iPhone + app producing "MUCH better" results than the in camera HDR of 5D MK III, in the hands of a same photographer who has taken both the shots with an iPhone and a 5D MK III. I'd love to be proven wrong, coz I have an iPhone and if it is much better than the in camera HDR of 5D MK III and the convenience factor would be awesome.

Upvote 0