Canon 5D mark 3 in-camera HDR shots

Hobby Shooter said:
Ricku said:
That's terrible! :D

Maybe in camera HDR will be good in 5D Mark 5 or 6, but right now it is truly useless.
I think few of us here are surprised that you would say so, especially about the 5D3.

It's limited by the JPEG output, which is heavily effected by the picture style and wb used. It's auto align feature works well for handheld HDR's but needs to be turned off for tripod / serious work. It works well for images with back lit foliage, which would be a royal PITA to correct with multiple exposure blends.
It's a pity that this HDR option can't output as a composited RAW. That would be nice.
For a gen I feature, it's not half bad. Lots of room for improvement and maturing.

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

GMCPhotographics said:
Hobby Shooter said:
Ricku said:
That's terrible! :D

Maybe in camera HDR will be good in 5D Mark 5 or 6, but right now it is truly useless.
I think few of us here are surprised that you would say so, especially about the 5D3.

It's limited by the JPEG output, which is heavily effected by the picture style and wb used. It's auto align feature works well for handheld HDR's but needs to be turned off for tripod / serious work. It works well for images with back lit foliage, which would be a royal PITA to correct with multiple exposure blends.
It's a pity that this HDR option can't output as a composited RAW. That would be nice.
For a gen I feature, it's not half bad. Lots of room for improvement and maturing.
I'm not an artist nor a professional photographer, I'm still learning a lot every day, but I know enough to be a photographer as a very small side business and also submit photos with articles I write. With the little I've used in camera HDR myself on my 5D3 I've mostly seen it as a cool feature. I agree with you about getting it as a composited RAW image, but I would think it might be too much for the internal processor to handle. I think the result should be viewed upon (as someone wisely mentioned a couple of months ago) as a jpeg preview of the blended image of the three RAWs you just shot. Or for some people as a fun and sometimes very nice picture. Me and my children are having a lot of fun with it in creative mode and it does helps your imagination on the way. Like you say, this is a feature that is maturing, this is first gen and will be more developed moving on.

Upvote 0

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com
Galapagos Islands -an in camera HDR experiment by my teen daughter - I helped touch it up in LR but actually not unpleasant. ??

Tues5d3-30 by PVC 2012, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture f/9.0
Focal Length 14 mm Lens Model EF14mm f/2.8L II USM
ISO Speed 500

Upvote 0
S

SachiHawaii

Here's a handheld +/-3EV HDR rendered as Standard. First photo shoot with the Mark III. The file came out a bit dark so was processes in Lightroom. I also added a more definitive water line as the weather was foggy (vog - volcanic fog) and the distinction between sky and water was completely unrecognizable.

Taken with 14mm F2.8L

Attachments

• NauruPH4302_Set1-1.jpg
    NauruPH4302_Set1-1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 3,839
Upvote 0
I can't speak to the HDR feature, but I like the last post from Hawaii - good looking image! I will say that the multiple exposure feature is a great one. It takes the same exposure multiple times with the same settings, and has an in-camera blend that generates a composite in RAW. It's very useful for taking a long-exposure shot in bright light to smooth out flowing water, oceans, etc. You still have the issue of moving objects like with any multi-shot exposure.

So, if you meter for existing light and it's at 0.5 seconds ideal exposure, you can take up to nine images, letting the camera blend them. You end up with a 4.5 second exposure where the highlights are not blown out.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2012
None of these shots do much for me. I know it's said if you can't say anything nice at all then don't say it but HDR makes me break those rules every time. The halo around the building, the gamma-ey nasty clouds, the OTT colours etc etc - just not for me. Sorry.

The last one works OK for me though - was that taken with a 24-70ii? Sunburst looks familiar...

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
wayno said:
None of these shots do much for me. I know it's said if you can't say anything nice at all then don't say it but HDR makes me break those rules every time. The halo around the building, the gamma-ey nasty clouds, the OTT colours etc etc - just not for me. Sorry.
Don't be sorry, we get it - you don't like HDR photography ;D ... but seriously, photography itself is a subjective matter, I've known people who do not like photos taken even by Ansel Adams ... so it doesn't matter who likes and who does not, as long as there is a unique feature available in the camera, it is worth exploring and strive to make photos that appeal to the photographer in us. There are lots of amazing locations in the world where weather or the time of day does not yield a good photo ... e.g. when we go on a guided tour/holiday, inevitably we always end up arriving at the location several hours after sunrise (and almost during harsh mid-day sun) ... and because we are in a rush we end up taking whatever shot is possible with our cameras with whatever little time we have ... the only option we have after that is spend a great deal of time post processing the photo. But with cameras like 5D MK III you can get a cool looking shot using the in-camera HDR feature. If it weren't for the in-camera HDR, the photo I've posted above would have looked really washed out and stupid straight out of the camera ... but with the in-camera HDR feature, I am able to upload it here, a hand-held shot, without any post processing ... now that is ultimate convenience. I could have spent some time on post processing to make the darker side of the sky to look same as the nicer blue side, but that would no longer be an in-camera HDR shot ... both photos I've uploaded here are straight out of the 5D MK III without any post processing. Kudos to all the people who posted their 5D MK III in-camera HDR photos here, not only is it inspiring to look at other peoples work, I think it also, in a small way, helps people to make an informed decision about getting a camera like the 5D MK III.

wayno said:
The last one works OK for me though - was that taken with a 24-70ii? Sunburst looks familiar...
Nope ... it was made with 16-35 f/2.8 L II ... at f/16 ... 17mm ... ISO 100 ... Av mode ... auto White Balance ... Standard Picture Style ... due to a previous photo shoot, and over sight on my part, the Metering was set to Evaluative and Exposure compensation was set to +1

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
Kudos to all the people who posted their 5D MK III in-camera HDR photos here, not only is it inspiring to look at other peoples work, I think it also, in a small way, helps people to make an informed decision about getting a camera like the 5D MK III.

^^^^ Agree 100%

also very nice picture Rienzphotoz, that only took 15 seconds? WOW!

Peace! 8)

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2012
Point taken :) Each to their own. I see some amazing HDR but about 1% of the time. The most amazing HDR for me is when it doesn't look like HDR. So often it has that 'confected' artificial look I find. It becomes a processing look of its own and often due to non-judicious post processing - or people taking too much of a dynamic leap.

But just my opinion obviously.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
wayno said:
Point taken :) Each to their own. I see some amazing HDR but about 1% of the time. The most amazing HDR for me is when it doesn't look like HDR. So often it has that 'confected' artificial look I find. It becomes a processing look of its own and often due to non-judicious post processing - or people taking too much of a dynamic leap.

But just my opinion obviously.
I understand what you are saying ... IMHO, in the resent years HDR photography technique has influenced a lot of people and many probably tried to emulate that technique and probably didn't fare well, so I suppose the fault lies more with the photographer's ability to use HDR correctly rather than some fault of HDR ... after all it is just a tool ... the same applies to any photography technique ... take saturation for example ... I've seen photos where they have been post processed so bad that the saturation looks artificial, but that is the fault of the photographer and not the fault of saturation.
This is where 5D MK III shines ... see this pic ... it was made in a very dimly lit corner of an exhibition booth today at the Offshore Middle East Conference ... when I saw that food, I immediately wanted to see what the 5D MK III's in-camera HDR could come up with ... the photo is handheld and no post processing, it is straight out of the camera ... I didn't pay any special attention to composition ... all I did is, set it to f/16 on Av mode, ISO 100, enable in-camera HDR to Natural, point and shoot. IMHO, nowhere does the photo look like HDR.

Attachments

• OME Day 1 of 3 (1 of 1).jpg
    833.7 KB · Views: 2,848
Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
ChilledXpress said:
Mehhh... HDR = "Clown Barf" images for the most part

It's like playing the guitar... lots of people can do it but only a few are really good at it.
So do you call Guitar = "Crown Barf music for the most part"? ... HDR is a tool just like a Guitar ... the output is dependent on the person using it ... therefore, HDR is not "Clown Barf".

Upvote 0
I use in-camera HDR quite a bit since I bracket many shots. I usually end up deleting the in-camera version since it's JPEG and for natural style mine usually seem soft and low contrast. HOWEVER, it is really handy to preview shots that way. If they could be TIFF instead of JPEG, that would be incredibly helpful.

I've only had the 5D3 for a little while, but I think I'm tending more towards 5 shot brackets since that's supported now and I like the extra latitude.

Overall, it's not bad for in camera and it's handy to have, especially if I want to try something quickly.

Has anyone else notice significant battery drain with lots of HDR use?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
GMCPhotographics said:
hammar said:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7309/8733473482_19c81e5f86_b.jpg

Built-in 5D Mark III HDR, Art Vivid. I like the results except for the transitions between sky and land (trees etc) - glow.

I'm not really seeing what you are getting at in that particular shot. Are you sure you have linked the right image?

Yes, I might have been a little unclear - the image is cropped to exclude the sky part as it looks bad. Which in hindsight might have been a bad idea since this thread is about the performance of the built in HDR function :)

Here is a truck I'm more happy about:

8989509158_3e53bda01d_b.jpg

Upvote 0