Canon 5D mark 3 in-camera HDR shots

Rienzphotoz said:
Harry Muff said:
Gave this a try the other on a street scene. I was pleasantly surprised to be honest.

I still don't see myself using it though. It's more of a gimmick to an advanced user, but a newbie might appreciate it.
Looks like you forgot to attach the image :)

Nope. It was a crappy throw away image. What impressed me was the tonality and the colour. Not on the Standard setting though; that was diabolical.

Upvote 0
You're right though, Rienz. What's the point of talking about an image instead of showing it.

I'll do another one and post it when I can.

Art Standard was the setting I was talking about. I found the other settings to be either dull, or completely over the top.

The other problem I found was that the ghosting was badly controlled by the camera.

But, like I said before, I just see it as more of a gimmick than a useful feature. Someone who wants to do it properly will just fill their card with a good set of bracketed images and go to town on them at home.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Rienzphotoz said:
Here is one from today, made during harsh afternoon sun ... without the 5D MK III in-camera HDR, this shot would have been long procedure ... but with the in-camera HDR it was just 15 seconds work.
Nice photo. It looks natural to me. Can you please share some details? Did you use the 2-stop bracketing and normal blend mode for example?

Upvote 0
I played with different settings that morning. I don't have the originals on this computer to check, but I believe it was +/- 1 ev, picture style faithful, and HDR mode Natural. I think the Faithful picture style along with my unsteady handholding helps soften it some, actually I was surprised how well they all came out even the +/- 3 ev's I took didn't have to much ghosting except in the corners. I guess the IS on the 24-105 works pretty good.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
niteclicks said:
No room for a tripod, so hand held.

Frankly, muddy and flat.

But that goes for about 50% of the images posted in this thread. A few very nice, obviously worked up well in post, but otherwise bland.

Don't know that in-camera HDR, as implemented in the 5DIII, saves the day. Friends have used it ineffectively, and as I've always enjoyed the processing of 5 RAW bracketed shots, I never bothered trying it once.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Having just purchased a 6D and being disappointed with the in-camera "HDR" I hoped that this thread would give me inspiration and maybe a few suggestions. Sorry, but it doesn't. The only images of a scene with a truly high dynamic range are by Rienz. The rest are of what I would call normal dynamic range where some judicious pulling and pushing could have saved the highlights and put detail into the shadows. Many of the posted images are flat and meh.
I have yet to process a 6D RAW file that is not superior to the in-camera HDR taken at the same time. Post-processed HDR using RAW files in Lightroom 6 is a different matter - this works very well and without the "HDR-look" - see attached file. Silly that the 6D does not save the original files, just the HDR jpeg.
Of course the in-camera HDR can be done in the field, but I rarely post anything without at least cropping and leveling.

Attachments

• IMG_0821-HDR.jpg
    IMG_0821-HDR.jpg
    989.6 KB · Views: 459
Upvote 0