Canon 5D Mark IV Shutter Actuation Lifespan

Crackers this thread is old, since it is here I’d like to ask questions.

For those who’s shutters that exceeded the expected what were your shooting settings generally?

Were most shots single shot, multi shot, shot high speed, low speed, silent shutter? Mirror lock up?

If you were not machine gunning then how does one get shutter counts above 500k?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The shutter life is a average expectation. It can vary widely, temperature is a big killer, so one exposed to high temperatures is undergoing a lot of stress. Hish shutter speeds also is tougher on a camera. Bumps and knocks can also affect the shutter.

All of these things plus more impact the life, so its impossible to set a actual number.

There is always infant mortality due to defective parts or assembly, if it fails right away, the warranty usually covers it as long as it has low actuation's.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mt Spokane.
When you say high shutter speeds, are you referring to high frames per second, or 1/8000th sec shutter speed. I thought the increased wear of 1/8000th was a myth as the shutter blades travel at the same speed for a 1 second exposure as they do for 1/8000th sec exposure, just the delay between the first and second shutter changes.
I can see where 10 or 14 FPS could be more wearing than 5 or 6 FPS.

Cheers, Graham.

Mt Spokane Photography said:
The shutter life is a average expectation. It can vary widely, temperature is a big killer, so one exposed to high temperatures is undergoing a lot of stress. Hish shutter speeds also is tougher on a camera. Bumps and knocks can also affect the shutter.

All of these things plus more impact the life, so its impossible to set a actual number.

There is always infant mortality due to defective parts or assembly, if it fails right away, the warranty usually covers it as long as it has low actuation's.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Mt Spokane.
When you say high shutter speeds, are you referring to high frames per second, or 1/8000th sec shutter speed. I thought the increased wear of 1/8000th was a myth as the shutter blades travel at the same speed for a 1 second exposure as they do for 1/8000th sec exposure, just the delay between the first and second shutter changes.
I can see where 10 or 14 FPS could be more wearing than 5 or 6 FPS.

Cheers, Graham.

Mt Spokane Photography said:

The inertia will probably be greater when the interval between the first and second curtains is too short, right?

Upvote 0
applecider said:
Crackers this thread is old, since it is here I’d like to ask questions.

For those who’s shutters that exceeded the expected what were your shooting settings generally?

Were most shots single shot, multi shot, shot high speed, low speed, silent shutter? Mirror lock up?

If you were not machine gunning then how does one get shutter counts above 500k?

Original 6d with 200 and something thousand clicks, most of the ones I put on are from timelapses, so a shot every couple of seconds or so, more often longer exposure times.

Not sure how many it had when I picked it up second hand but I've put about 15k on since June last year that way. It's been my second camera for the last 6 months, going to use it till it dies completely. Parts are starting to fall off

Upvote 0
Bought a 50D off eBay, that had clearly spent most of it's life as a football, shutter had 130k, it lasted 10k more in my hands before dying. A $200 shutter saw another 350k before it died and they refused to replace it "beyond economical repair". Code for "get lost".

Had a Rebel XTi (still got it in fact) with 375k and still going. Shutter button is dead to the touch but still works with AF!

Our first 7D died at 836k, shutter shook itself apart. Since then had a 7D2 at 1.03m and the mirror fell apart. CPS replaced the mirror assembly and shutter for about $300. They replaced the working shutter because they warranty the camera for 6 months, they won't work on a camera with a worn out shutter.

Got another 7D2 here with maybe 2-300k on the clock? Something like that.

Upvote 0

wickedac

I'm old here.
Jul 19, 2017
Worcester, MA
This thread came up in a google search about 5D IV shutter life so I thought I'd chime in. Had a shutter start failing at 60,700. Here's an example, several images in a row had shutter blades visible in different parts of the image. At first I thought it was a light flicker issue, I didn't want to believe one of my cameras was failing on a wedding day! Luckily it happened early on so I didn't end up with a bunch of ceremony photos looking like this. Real bummer though considering I had expected it to at least be in the range of it's rating.

Attachments

• small.PNG
    small.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 122
Upvote 0