Canon 5Ds & 5Dsr: Shipping date confusion!!

lichtmalen said:
Okay, well I pre-ordered the day it was announced and also have no information yet other than "probably from June 15th" ;D oh well I guess there'll just be a sudden call and then I stop doing whatever I was doing, grab a bag full of cash and speed to the store.

That will be a good day! :)

Upvote 0
Just got word that, also in Germany, they were given the 14th of June, but they weren't sure if that's the day the cams get shipped to them or they can start selling that day. Well, it being a sunday the latter is not likely anyway but from the sound of it they do not yet have the bodies. They assured me I'll get a call the moment a 5Ds arrives at the store and then it's time for me to leave my lecture or whatever I am doing and start slamming my lenses on that thing. If I get it by monday or tuesday, you can expect me to have first good samples and maybe comparisons to 5D Mark III up by wednesday.

Upvote 0
Not trying to cause a panic here, but I was just informed by our Canon rep that of the X amount of 5DS's and 5DSr's we have on order for the store I work at, we will not be getting any 5DSr's this month. I was told that Canon seriously under-estimated the numbers of 5DSr's that would be preordered, and that they have no idea when 5DSr preorders will begin to ship.

We will be getting a bunch of 5DS's sometime this week or next.

Boy, am I pissed off. I canceled my B&H preorder (waiting since day one) because I was told we'd be getting some in. Now I'm at the back of the line.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Arkarch said:
My information has Cameras shipping out of Japan this weekend ("June 7"). So dealers should be getting stock mid to late next week. I have not heard about an embargo - could be one - but I could see a big operation like BH or Adorama having to unseal and sort through their shipment thereby safely saying the 14th; whereas a smaller dealer might be able to call customers the moment they get them at the door. Heh, and I bet some much closer asia locations will have them any moment now.

Cameras are shipped by sea as far as I am aware. They go in containers to Canon warehouses around the world where they are held until a few days before the embargo date, and then shipped to dealers. Presumably, Canon ships to the furthest warehouses first, but that might not always be true, because there may be mixed products in a shipment in a few cases. In some cases, they must go thru customs at the receiving port, and can be delayed a week or even more. For large companies who arrange in advance, the inspection can be done at the shipping port, then seals are placed, and minimal inspection or none at all is needed at the receiving end. As a importer, I've occasionally been on the losing end of a full blown x-ray inspection where the container is taken to a warehouse, unpacked, boxes x-rayed and opened at random, then trucked back to the port. The receiver has to pay for all that, of course, and it can take 2-3 weeks if there is a backlog due to a concern about national security.

In the case of B&H or Adorama, they are just a few miles from the Canon and Nikon warehouses, so they likely get them by UPS by the truck load. Other dealers across the country get them by 2 day air, or at least our local ones do.

It is true that the cameras often appear in Asia sooner, but that's because some dealers deliver them to customers even though they are supposed to wait. I think its a cultural thing, they pay little attention to the rules laid down by Canon or Nikon.

Upvote 0
I wasn't very nervous about the camera for the last months of waiting (preordered at Feb 7) but now I'm like a kid before christmas eve. Maybe it is because I am technically still a kid in photography (at 28 years ::)). I want it. Maybe also because I am at the moment quite uncomfortable with the money lying around in my flat. ;D

Upvote 0
My dealer called me some minutes ago - i was the first he called =)

5Ds R is ready for me - i will pick it up after work. I will be in the US in 2 weeks from now. San Francisco, West Coast, LA, Yosemite National Park, Las Vegas (and the way to) and finally NY waiting for the Pixel-Monster.

I will have following lenses with me:
Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 II DG HSM, Canon EF 24-105mm 4.0 L IS USM, EF 100mm 2.8 L Macro IS USM, EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS II USM, 1,4x Converter MKIII, GP-E2, Giottos Tripod and some other small things.

Unfortunately i am not able to take more with me ;) But this should be very good for "all" situations.

I am placed in Germany - near Frankfurt/Main.

@lichtmalen
I think you will recveive shortly a call as well ;)

Upvote 0