Canon announcements coming at the end of August [CR2]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...However, the mirrorless babies who are holding out for Pro/Prosumer camera(s) are starving. Quite frankly, I'm little frustrated that Canon hasn't announced a Mirrorless camera, (Pro/Prosumer that is) by now.

Apparently you missed the release of the Canon EOS R, which is a Pro/Prosumer camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'd like to see a merger of the M5/6/50 bodies. NO protrusion but with a viewfinder, Canon's version of an X-E3. EOS menu system, not Powershot. A sparse backside as to lessen the M series biggest flaw imho, accidental touches of buttons, switches and settings. I had to turn off nearly everything in my M5 to keep from knocking things. I was happy with the EVF so an improvement there will be nothing but icing on the cake. (Try the Pen-F EVF, so unrealistic) I would though like to see Canon upgrade their Jpeg Monochrome files. Basically I want a Fuji/Canon mashup for a travel body while I wait for an R series to replace my 5D3. It won't happen as they don't make cameras because we whine on CR.
I absolutely wouldn’t. I find the M5 layout, controls, and tilt not swivel screen ideal for photography, and the raised viewfinder is well placed to optimize drag AF whilst using said viewfinder.

Please Canon keep the M5 MkII as close as possible to the MkI, a photography orientated small mirrorless, and play entry level and sudo vlogger with the other models in the range.

The only things I’d like from an M5 MkII are snappier AF, quicker image review, an intervalometer and the ability to tether it to a computer. Oh and a better IQ 15-45 f2.8 zoom, don’t care if it is twice the weight, and the size of the 18-150.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
The introductory price for the 6D was $2099, or just about the clearance price for the 5DII.

For most of the time the 5D Mark II was the newest 5-series camera, it sold for around $2,700-2,800. For most of the time the 6D was the newest 6-series camera, it sold for around $1,400-1600. That's quite a difference. Clearance prices usually only appear a few weeks before the product is superseded by a newer model. Introductory prices rarely lasted more than 6 months to a year back in the late 2000s and early 2010s. Fluctuations in the yen/dollar ratio also played a significant role in the mid 2010s.

Since it wasn't as obvious as I assumed it would be: the $1,100 to $750-800 price reference is to the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, not to the the EOS 6D.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I sold my R and 50 1.2 because someone offered more than I could buy them for new again. So, I was starting fresh sort of... I still have the 35 and accessories.

However, I just scored a crazy good deal on greentoe this morning for an eos r, so.... I’m back in haha. Less than gray market pricing, I could not pass it up.

I guess Canon won’t let me leave.

I'd buy a 2nd EOS R today, but really want the next RF with 2 cards. But I've looked at a lot of EOS R's lately. I also like the 5DS and noticed an Amazon Renewed category Canon 5DS for $1318.00 today. Tempting to buy at that price for an extra. But for the moment, my funds are set aside and ready for another RF body.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
DxOmark has the 7DII with better DR above iso1600 but Bill Claff has the 80D and 7DII sensor the same DR at iso 1600 and above. http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 7D Mark II,Canon EOS 80D

The 5DIII has the 1DX AF system, which is not the same as the 1DXII or 5DIV. The 5DIV has the superior IDXII system. According to TDP, "Canon U.S.A.'s Chuck Westfall called the 1D X Mark II's AF system a "massive upgrade" featuring "much improved performance". It was hard to believe that the 1D X Mark II's new 61-point High-Density Reticular AF II system was going to be substantially better than its predecessor, but ... it definitely was." https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV.aspx
The 7DII has an upgraded version of the 1DX AF with iTR and more points.

We will know soon enough what the 90D or whatever it is called will be like. If it has a good 30 mpx sensor and point focus, I will possibly buy. If it has a superior AF, I will definitely buy.

At ISO 1600 and above, SNR is more critical than DR for most of us who shoot at those ISOs. That's where the 7D mark II is better than the 80D.

You can hype it all you want, but the only difference I notice between the AF system in my 5D Mark III and my 5D Mark IV is the vertical spread of the AF points. The 7D Mark II is not quite as good because the baseline for an APS-C mirror/sensor is narrower. This would also be the case for an APS-C version of the 1D X Mark II/5D Mark IV AF system. Most of the improvements between the 1D X and 1D X Mark II seem to be in processing algorithms for the data gathered by the PDAF sensor (and RGB+IR light meter when using iTR). The 5D Mark IV got the same PDAF sensor array hardware, but not all of the same processing algorithms. The 1D X Mark II AF system noticeably outperforms the 5D Mark IV AF system according to those I know who shoot with both. YMMV.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Apparently you missed the release of the Canon EOS R, which is a Pro/Prosumer camera.

In Sony terms, the EOS R is a pro camera. (e.g. it doesn't have to be robust enough to take daily abuse for years, be able to continue shooting in harsh, wet, and high dust environments, have batteries that last for days, not be released with a beta level firmware, etc.)

In Canon terms, it is not.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I don't think we know at this point what Canon is calling the replacement to the 80D and 7DII. So far as I now, 90D was something that came out of rumor world. We can hope that whatever it is called, it does have a robust AF system.

Hope all you want, but the near certainty, based on what Canon has allowed to be leaked, is that the 7D line is dead, and the 90D will not exceed the 7D Mark II at all parameters. It will have a (possibly improved) version of the 45-point AF system found in the 80D.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
At ISO 1600 and above, SNR is more critical than DR for most of us who shoot at those ISOs. That's where the 7D mark II is better than the 80D.

You can hype it all you want, but the only difference I notice between the AF system in my 5D Mark III and my 5D Mark IV is the vertical spread of the AF points. The 7D Mark II is not quite as good because the baseline for an APS-C mirror/sensor is narrower. This would also be the case for an APS-C version of the 1D X Mark II/5D Mark IV AF system. Most of the improvements between the 1D X and 1D X Mark II seem to be in processing algorithms for the data gathered by the PDAF sensor (and RGB+IR light meter when using iTR). The 5D Mark IV got the same PDAF sensor array hardware, but not all of the same processing algorithms. The 1D X Mark II AF system noticeably outperforms the 5D Mark IV AF system according to those I know who shoot with both. YMMV.
I was not hyping it in any way, merely quoting Bryan Carnahan of TSP verbatim. No more, no less. It was about the AF of the 5DIII versus the 5DIV not being the same, which was the point, not the the 5DIV vs 1DX. The AF of the 5DIII does not have the iTR that was introduced for the 7DII and is now in the 1DX, 1DXII, 5DSR and 5DIV.

Regarding YMMV, In contrast to your experience, I have used the 7D, 7DII, 5DSR, 5DIII and 5DIV extensively for bird photography and whereas the 5DSR is now my go to camera for static shots, the 5DIV is my first choice for birds in flight because its AF is noticeably the best of that bunch when fast accurate AF is required for rapidly moving small birds. You will find it repeated in many of my posts that the 5DSR is pretty competent for BIF (and even dragonflies in flight), but the AF of the 5DIV is the best for difficult shots.

My experience may differ from yours because we cover different mileage and you don’t shoot rapidly moving birds close up.

Later addition
I just remembered that Ari Hazeghi, whose specialty is difficult BIF photos, wrote a detailed critique of the 5DIV before before he went over to Nikon. http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/eos-5d-mark-iv-field-review/ There is a long section on the AF, in which he wrote: "First the good news, the EOS-5D Mark IV AF consistency is greatly improved over the EOS-5D Mark III which itself was quite a capable camera in the right hands. With the EOS-5D Mark IV, right off the bat, I noticed a higher percentage of tack sharp files with challenging subjects. It tracks very well against complex backgrounds, like the examples below." And there is a lot more. So, in your hands the 5DIII is quite capable, but for difficult BIF the 5DIV scores.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
In Sony terms, the EOS R is a pro camera. (e.g. it doesn't have to be robust enough to take daily abuse for years, be able to continue shooting in harsh, wet, and high dust environments, have batteries that last for days, not be released with a beta level firmware, etc.)

In Canon terms, it is not.

I partly agree with that. The R could be used profesionally, but I’m thinking more like portrait stuff for example. For fast action (sports, wildlife) but also events/weddings it’s lacking robustness, second card slot, best in class ergonomics (lack of multicontroller, some oddly placed controls, etc), readout speed of sensor and af tracking compared to competition. Also, less options to customize AF tracking cases.

Upvote 0
I'd buy a 2nd EOS R today, but really want the next RF with 2 cards. But I've looked at a lot of EOS R's lately. I also like the 5DS and noticed an Amazon Renewed category Canon 5DS for $1318.00 today. Tempting to buy at that price for an extra. But for the moment, my funds are set aside and ready for another RF body.

I scored one for $500 off current msrp on greentoe. US authorized dealer that I’ve actually dealt with in the past. I was leaning towards buying the new Sony, or an A7Riii, but I’m going to gamble that Canon releases the RF lenses I want into the wild before my trip in early November.

I’m not interested in buying EF lenses. Hopefully this works out.

The minute the new R is released I will preorder. I hope Canon doesn’t try to compete straight with Sony on MPs; I’d rather have something in the high 40s with better DR than 60. I mean... I’d still take 60. Hell, I’d even take an eos r with the new Sony sensor.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I would like to see the M5 replacement to be a real technical beast in the small body format for hiking etc. Great eye focus for animals too, 10 fps and in the 30 MP range. Small lenses, don't meed to be hyper fast so easy to carry. Sort of like the old original Leicas. In other words make it a real system camera.
Sounds like an interesting concept, I hope that Canon realizes it!:)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I get Canon doesn't want to upend its DSLR faithful, which I respect. However, the mirrorless babies who are holding out for Pro/Prosumer camera(s) are starving. Quite frankly, I'm little frustrated that Canon hasn't announced a Mirrorless camera, (Pro/Prosumer that is) by now. I've been faithful to Canon, and I want to continue that, and one way Canon can do that is by giving an announcement that a mirrorless pro camera is coming, it doesn't have to be released yet.
Agree! :)
I owned the EOS R for a while...
Then, when it came to deciding which camera I'd take to Italy, in order to get pictures from rare orchids, I sold it and replaced it with the 5 D IV.
I really liked the R, but relying on one single SD for pictures I could never repeat was something I disliked, having been an SD failure- victim once.
I know the EOS R Pro is coming, and I'll buy it immediately, just impatiently waiting for a little hint by somebody in the know... (CR 2 ?)

Upvote 0
i
I absolutely wouldn’t. I find the M5 layout, controls, and tilt not swivel screen ideal for photography, and the raised viewfinder is well placed to optimize drag AF whilst using said viewfinder.

Please Canon keep the M5 MkII as close as possible to the MkI, a photography orientated small mirrorless, and play entry level and sudo vlogger with the other models in the range.

The only things I’d like from an M5 MkII are snappier AF, quicker image review, an intervalometer and the ability to tether it to a computer. Oh and a better IQ 15-45 f2.8 zoom, don’t care if it is twice the weight, and the size of the 18-150.
am looking forward to EOS M 5 and 50 mk II using g5XII form factor. no more mini-dslr style with central viewfinder bump, but range-findet style with corner pop-up EVF and swivel screen (like sony a6####). pop up evf for smallest possible transport size. tilt screen is useless for my photography with 40% images in portrait orientation.

Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
Any word on if it will have 24fps in 1080p? Seems to be all the rage lately with Canon to remove 24fps in 1080p and only leave 30fps in 1080p. If I can get the same quality of 1080p at 24fps that I’m getting on the EOS R but on the 90D I’d be one happy camper. Then I’d be covered for all my photo (nature and sports/wildlife which I’m horrible at Lol) and my video (hiking/backpacking/gear) needs for my YT channel. Either way I’m pretty flippin excited for this. I love the EOS R but man do I miss the simplicity and button layout of the 80D. If the specs are correct and it has high quality 24fps in 1080p like the EOS R, then this may be the work horse camera that I’ve been waiting for. But then again the possibility of a 5D Mark V would keep me in the FF game with the friendlier cost of EF L Lenses. Can’t imagine the RF stuff will be priced too kindly.

Man my brain is so screwed up right now. Lol.

Upvote 0
I think you're going to be waiting a while. The 6D II came out in 2017, and with the past 4 year release cycle you'd be looking at summer 2021. That's assuming that they ever release a new 6D series camera. The RP might be a suitable alternative in all honesty - it's not exactly the same, but it's close.
Yep, I doubt there'll be a 6D MKIII. Having said that, I love my 6d MKII but recently got the EOS R and since have used that 95% of the time - a bit smaller & lighter with a better sensor, although for action shots I'd probably still use the 6DMKII as first preference. I think they make a good pair together though...

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Weird. My classes have gone from predominantly Canon to predominantly Sony in the span of a year. It’s a community college photography program though, so there are more younger people than usual.

The most popular camera is the Sony A7Riii, followed by the A7iii by far.

Interesting. So new tech literate buyers, mostly. Makes sense. If I was that age, buying my first camera, with a lot of disposable income, I’d likely buy the Sony too. Sounds great on paper. These days, I just love the canon ergo, reliability, & lenses too much, and the promise of the RF mount to ever get anything else.

But I’d have definitely bought the Sony back then if I’d been able to afford it. And that’s the other surprise to me - they’re spending that much?

Upvote 0
Interesting. So new tech literate buyers, mostly. Makes sense. If I was that age, buying my first camera, with a lot of disposable income, I’d likely buy the Sony too. Sounds great on paper. These days, I just love the canon ergo, reliability, & lenses too much, and the promise of the RF mount to ever get anything else.

But I’d have definitely bought the Sony back then if I’d been able to afford it. And that’s the other surprise to me - they’re spending that much?

It's a relatively affluent area in CA. There are quiet a few of them with nicer cars at 19-20 than I have at 39. Demographics aside, it's been my experience that Sony is winning the younger crowed by a LARGE margin; who knows how that translates to the wider market.

Upvote 0