Canon Announcements Coming August 14, 2015

jeffa4444 said:
Whilst the EOS 1DX 2 excites the Pros and those with deep pockets it will not sell in volumes that get Canon fortunes revived. I see more sense in either the 5D MKIV (not likely as that would affect 5DS / 5DS R sales) or the upmarket 6D replacement placed at the level of the Nikon D750. Dont really see any point in a SL2 if Canon are trying to shift their buyers upmarket unless it has a full frame sensor!

From the rumors so far, it seem the order will be 1D X II -> 5D IV -> 6D II, plus why do you think that Canon need another fast profit product? they got the rebels, 7D II, and 5Ds(r) for that.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
meywd said:
jeffa4444 said:
Whilst the EOS 1DX 2 excites the Pros and those with deep pockets it will not sell in volumes that get Canon fortunes revived. I see more sense in either the 5D MKIV (not likely as that would affect 5DS / 5DS R sales) or the upmarket 6D replacement placed at the level of the Nikon D750. Dont really see any point in a SL2 if Canon are trying to shift their buyers upmarket unless it has a full frame sensor!

From the rumors so far, it seem the order will be 1D X II -> 5D IV -> 6D II, plus why do you think that Canon need another fast profit product? they got the rebels, 7D II, and 5Ds(r) for that.
Thats just it they dont have "fast profit products" that is why they are almost continuosly offering "cash backs" to get people to buy, their sales have dropped (as it has for the competition) and it makes more sense to move up Rebel users to F/F and compact users to Rebels. If the declines continue they will need higher margin products but the majority of people will never need the features & complexity of the 1DX II.

Upvote 0
Lenses that could be updated with the 1D X.

2007 EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
- Canon may come out with a Series III or better yet an IS version like the Tamron

2004 EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM
- Nikon came out with their own in 2010

2007 EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM
- Like the 15/2.8 FE the 14 has been sidegraded by the 11-24/4.0

1998 EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
- Series II to compete with Sigma Art & Nikon's marketed in 2010

1997 EF 300mm f/4L IS USM
- Nikon came out with a PF (Nikon's equivalent to DO) in 2015.

1996 EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
1993 EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
- Waiting for Nikon or other company to offer a lens like this

1991 TS-E 45mm f/2.8
- Nikon came out with a PC-E (Nikon's equivalent to TS-E) in 2008.

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
my gut is
its either a damn annoying waste of time and $$ powershot camera
or "crosses fingers"
a 5D Mark 4 or 6D mark 2 announcement
a 70-300mm stm is lens would be my new high school football and indoor track lens
hoping for the best
why do all the good stuff get announced at the back too school/work season

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
NorbR said:
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
I'm pretty confident that Canon is going to give the new 50mm f/1.8 STM at least a year to sell like mad and then get you to pony up again for the more premium mid range 50mm when it shows. They wouldn't want to cannibalize sales, and I suspect that the current gen 50mm f/1.4 is probably taking a bit of hit right now from the STM lens.

Agreed, no hopes for another 50mm so soon on the heels of the recent STM.
I know there are several more likely candidates, but I'm still hoping for the 85mm in that mid-range class, 85mm f/2 IS USM or so.
And I'd take a long hard look at that rumored "cheap" super tele as well ...

28-300 L replacement? Optical quality similar to 70-300L

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
If the are announcing two new lenses (and it looks like one is almost definitely at 35L II) then it would get announced with a new DSLR body. Not a powershot.

Tugela said:
pedro said:
Hi, found this over at NL.

Considering the product cycles, Ken could be spot on. Q3 announcement and Q4 release? Winter olympics...
What might be the lenses?

"We've been told (thanks) that Canon's next announcement will be on August 14th and include a camera and two lenses.
Unfortunately no real details, so hold that credit card for a while ;-)
Probably to early for a 5D4 and 6D2, so perhaps the 1D x mk2?"

CRguy: any additional rumored info?

Regards
Peter

Probably this camera:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/06/another-premium-powershot-this-summer-cr1/

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
jeffa4444 said:

I expect the order of introduction to

1Dx Mark II (with all the goodies)
5D Mark IV (not quite as many goodies, perhaps higher res than the 1Dx Mark II)
6D Mark II (better than current but below the 5D Mark IV)

Then again the 5D Mark IV could be low res, super high ISO camera with the 6D being a successor to the 5D Mark III

Lots of ways of cutting the cake, many interesting possibilities. I would love to be on the strategy team that decides these questions.

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
Chaitanya said:
Where is the replacement for ancient Ef 50mm macro? I wouldnt mind if that lens was dropped altogether from lens selection. Sadly Canon doesnt have a lens to compete with Nikons 60mm macro. While their Mp-e 65, and 100m L are the best macro lenses keeping me in Canon camp for ages to come.

the 200L macro is very long in the tooth. There was rumors about a T/S long macro.

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
The EF 35 f1.4 II is pretty much certain, as for the other two products.

The 18-200 is now 7 years old, making it one of the oldest EF-S lenses after the premium 10-22 & 17-55 products - I would expect STM in line with the rest of the lower end EF-S range, perhaps even extending the range to a 18-250 or 18-300 may be possible, but I'd personally expect to see 18-200.

The 100D/SL1 is looking old too, at 2.5 years, it's very old in consumer level DSLR's - I wouldn't be surprised this being brought up to the same spec as the 750/760 cameras, perhaps even a jump above into the 28-32mpx range with the 750/760 products following the same spec in the new year (early 2016).

Surprises ? Hmmm... Canon has been quite surprising of late, maybe something completely out the blue again.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
RGF said:
Chaitanya said:
Where is the replacement for ancient Ef 50mm macro? I wouldnt mind if that lens was dropped altogether from lens selection. Sadly Canon doesnt have a lens to compete with Nikons 60mm macro. While their Mp-e 65, and 100m L are the best macro lenses keeping me in Canon camp for ages to come.

the 200L macro is very long in the tooth. There was rumors about a T/S long macro.
you mean that 180mm L, even that lens needs replacement but its more of a niche product and canon can keep it for next 3-4years before updating the design. I have seen butterfly shooters use that lens although majority of butterfly shooters that I know who shot with that lens(from Nikon camp people using 200mm macro) have replaced their 180mm L when Sigma released their 180mm f2.8 macro. A T/S macro and 180mm lens are a niche product and only a select group of photographers purchase it. While a 50/60/90/100/105mm macros which are usually reasonably priced and sell in decent quantities giving manufacturers a reason to update old designs to modern onces .

Upvote 0

dtheune

Canon 6D
Jan 21, 2015
Nelu said:
dtheune said:
By the way, isn't it funny that people keep referring the the Sony A7R II as the Sony A7R "Mark" II.... That's not the name I see Sony using. I guess it's the Canonazation of things...

Yeah, neither is "Canon 5D Mark IIII"...maybe "Canon 5D Mark IV"?:)

Yeah. You got me on that one. ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
RGF said:
jeffa4444 said:

I expect the order of introduction to

1Dx Mark II (with all the goodies)
5D Mark IV (not quite as many goodies, perhaps higher res than the 1Dx Mark II)
6D Mark II (better than current but below the 5D Mark IV)

Then again the 5D Mark IV could be low res, super high ISO camera with the 6D being a successor to the 5D Mark III

Lots of ways of cutting the cake, many interesting possibilities. I would love to be on the strategy team that decides these questions.

Wishful thinking mode on: Yess!!! Wishful thinking mode off. ::)

Upvote 0
Market is fast and we propably won´t see many clearly predictable roadways. Most people couldn´t handle, that new rebel has more resolution than 70D and 7D II. I almost knew it. It had to be that way. I wondered about more than 24Mpx. Didn´t happen.

Now I hope for 24Mpx APS-C sensored powershot, with 25-50mm f/1,8-2,8 lens, and 50mm f/1,4 IS :)

The same optical formula, but better make, and IS, and the same MRSP. It would be great, and there would be reason to pick it instead of Sigma.

1 - better built than original, up to Sigma
2 - slighty better image quality - not up to Sigma
3 - smaller size
4 - IS
5 - better price

I´d take that in heartbeat.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
Others beat me to it, but knowing the 35 f/1.4 II has been in testing that will be one of them.

I'm surprised by how much love the SL1 gets. It would just seem that it wouldn't balance all that well with anything other then the smallest lenses, like the pancakes. I like the concept, but I would have thought it to be more niche and not so popular. I guess that's why I don't work in marketing. ;)

Upvote 0
Luds34 said:
Others beat me to it, but knowing the 35 f/1.4 II has been in testing that will be one of them.

I'm surprised by how much love the SL1 gets. It would just seem that it wouldn't balance all that well with anything other then the smallest lenses, like the pancakes. I like the concept, but I would have thought it to be more niche and not so popular. I guess that's why I don't work in marketing. ;)

In practice, the SL1 is so compact that it is essentially like mounting a (small) handle onto a lens. This means that the "balance" is really the balance of the lens itself. You have to wave it around yourself to feel it. I find that with the Sigma 18-35 Art and other heavyish lenses, it feels quite nice.

Upvote 0