Canon Announcements Coming August 14, 2015

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
I'm pretty confident that Canon is going to give the new 50mm f/1.8 STM at least a year to sell like mad and then get you to pony up again for the more premium mid range 50mm when it shows. They wouldn't want to cannibalize sales, and I suspect that the current gen 50mm f/1.4 is probably taking a bit of hit right now from the STM lens.

Everything you said makes sense.

But I still want what I want. :)

- A

Attachments

• 50 Prime Rib 2.jpg
    50 Prime Rib 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,596
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
If the 35L II is truly coming, this will represent Canon's first* 'response' to Sigma's Art glass. I know Canon would never lower themselves to admit that they need to outperform Sigma, but photographers will compare the two lenses anyway.

(*disregarding the 50 f/1.8 STM, which as we all know, isn't particularly new optically)

I'm curious to see if Canon follows suit with the Sigma 35 Art and builds the entire design around maxing out the resolution, or if they possibly pull out some tricks to generate better draw/color/bokeh etc. The resolution of the Sigma 35 Art is spectacular, but some have made similar comments at this FL as they do with the 50mm FL: Sigma may outresolve the Canon, but Canon has that unquantifiable 'magic' how it renders images.

But does anyone actually think Canon will deliver a 35 f/1.4L II that will out-resolve the Sigma? That would be a very, very tall order, and with Canon making it, I'd imagine we'd be looking at a $2k+ lens. My guess is that Canon will make a balanced design that may not pop off the charts from a sharpness perspective like the Sigma does, but I could be wrong.

- A

Upvote 0

LukasS

Yeap
Dec 24, 2014
Luds34 said:
I'm surprised by how much love the SL1 gets. It would just seem that it wouldn't balance all that well with anything other then the smallest lenses, like the pancakes. I like the concept, but I would have thought it to be more niche and not so popular. I guess that's why I don't work in marketing. ;)
At least you are honest about your lack of vision :). I can also say that I didn't think that the 100D would be so much fun for me - and it is great (bought for it 24/2.8 and 10-18, also using with it 50/1.4). But apparently it isn't only fun for me, my employees and my business partner use it from time to time and the all love it. Most of them said that they will buy it eventually :).

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
PureClassA said:
If the are announcing two new lenses (and it looks like one is almost definitely at 35L II) then it would get announced with a new DSLR body. Not a powershot.

Tugela said:
pedro said:
Hi, found this over at NL.

Considering the product cycles, Ken could be spot on. Q3 announcement and Q4 release? Winter olympics...
What might be the lenses?

"We've been told (thanks) that Canon's next announcement will be on August 14th and include a camera and two lenses.
Unfortunately no real details, so hold that credit card for a while ;-)
Probably to early for a 5D4 and 6D2, so perhaps the 1D x mk2?"

CRguy: any additional rumored info?

Regards
Peter

Probably this camera:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/06/another-premium-powershot-this-summer-cr1/

They don't appear to be kit lenses, so there is no reason to believe they are connected to the camera. The only camera on the rumor horizon is the powershot, so chances are it likely is that.

Another possibility is a upmarket superzoom being pushed up in the release schedule early to compete with Nikon's P900, which is apparently selling extremely well.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
meywd said:
Plainsman said:
How about a Canon 150-600 with better QC than Tamron or Sigma can offer.

With the 100-400 II being new I doubt this will happen

The lens Canon needs is a 300-600 f/6.3 for about $3k. It wouldn't have to be world-beating optically, but it would an option for photographers who don't want to buy a $10k+ lens and don't want to nerf their AF & IQ with a T/C. It would sell very, very well, and the smaller FL multiplier would allow it to surpass the IQ of the competitive 4x zooms out there.

It'll never happen, but it's what they ought to consider.

- A

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2011
ahsanford said:
The lens Canon needs is a 300-600 f/6.3 for about $3k. It wouldn't have to be world-beating optically, but it would an option for photographers who don't want to buy a $10k+ lens and don't want to nerf their AF & IQ with a T/C. It would sell very, very well, and the smaller FL multiplier would allow it to surpass the IQ of the competitive 4x zooms out there.

It'll never happen, but it's what they ought to consider.

- A

I use the 1.4 Extender III and I couldn't begin to use the term "nerf" with either AF or IQ. I can't speak for the 2.0 Extender III but I suspect it is as good.

Not sure I could ever justify spending 3K on a lower quality slow zoom. I suppose there are people out there who would be willing to but I can't imagine there are enough to make it a profitable product.

Upvote 0
Luds34 said:
Others beat me to it, but knowing the 35 f/1.4 II has been in testing that will be one of them.

I'm surprised by how much love the SL1 gets. It would just seem that it wouldn't balance all that well with anything other then the smallest lenses, like the pancakes. I like the concept, but I would have thought it to be more niche and not so popular. I guess that's why I don't work in marketing. ;)

Mirrorless size, DSLR performance. Fast AF, easy to pack, 1.6x instead of 2x crop, and it balances super nicely with the 35/2 IS. The 18-135 STM also isn't too big and gives good IQ over a wide range. Give it the 24mpx sensor and 19pt AF system and it'd be perfect.

Much easier to fly with than the 5D3, too. Easy enough to pack it, the 18-135 and a prime and just stick them in with your clothes.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I would be very interested in a 500mm F/5.6 IS as a good light sports-wildlife lens. It would streamline things for me as a PJ if I could bring my own 500mm for sporting events with good light and just grab the paper's 400mm f/2.8 IS II for low light. Plus I'd much rather spend money on a 500mm f/5.6 IS than the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS II though I loved the time I had with that lens. If I'm photographing something I can't walk close enough to with my 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II, 90% of the time I need all the reach I can get. Especially with a recent chemical fire that had me held back by two entire blocks, that would've been a great opportunity for a 500mm f/5.6..

I think it'd be super cool if they revealed a 1D X II with a 500mm F/5.6 IS and 35mm F/1.4 II.. That said, I'm probably dreaming. Doubt they'd have such a high-end announcement with nothing for the lower-end of the market. That would definitely catch my interest though, since I'd love to buy all three!

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
My speculations have been that the Camera will be the EOS 1D-X Mark-II.

To be announced in August and heavily marketed to sports shooters with intensive workshops ahead of the Rugby World Cup:
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/fixtures

...which Canon is an official sponsor of:
http://www.canon.co.uk/about_us/press_centre/press_releases/corporate_news/canon_appointed_rugby_world_cup_2015_sponsor.aspx

I guess the lenses will likely be useful to sports shooters so USM driven and at least an f/4 maximum aperture.

Take your pick:
EF 50mm f/2 IS USM
EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L IS USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS USM
EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM II
EF 120-300mm f/4 L IS USM

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
StudentOfLight said:
EF 120-300mm f/4 L IS USM

Oooh, never really thought about Canon releasing a constant aperture 300mm zoom lens. That'd be an interesting lens. I know a guy who shoots local sports with a Sigma 120-300mm F/2.8, and I can't help but be jealous of his extra reach when using my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II. Doubt Canon would release a direct competitor, but even an F/4 would be a neat lens.

Upvote 0
Luds34 said:
Others beat me to it, but knowing the 35 f/1.4 II has been in testing that will be one of them.

In practice, the SL1 is so compact that it is essentially like mounting a (small) handle onto a lens. This means that the "balance" is really the balance of the lens itself. You have to wave it around yourself to feel it. I find that with the Sigma 18-35 Art and other heavyish lenses, it feels quite nice.
It really is almost like just having a handle on the lens. Most of my shooting is normal to short telephoto and it feels nicely matched with my 24-70mm f/4L IS. When I need more reach, the 70-200mm f/4L and 1.4x Extender give me ~450mm equivalent with decent IQ for barely more weight or size than the lens itself. For extra reach from a spare that fits easily in a camera bag or lighter travel, I'm seeing it in the hands of more and more pros lately.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
LukasS said:
Luds34 said:
At least you are honest about your lack of vision :). I can also say that I didn't think that the 100D would be so much fun for me - and it is great (bought for it 24/2.8 and 10-18, also using with it 50/1.4). But apparently it isn't only fun for me, my employees and my business partner use it from time to time and the all love it. Most of them said that they will buy it eventually :).

Haha, in fairness I did say that "I like the concept", aka I'm a bit of a fan of it and have been really close to pulling the trigger on those refurb deals we see for $3xx every so often. :) I think what has held me back is if I'm going for compact, I make due with the M.

My poorly articulated point was that I have been surprised on it's popularity. Didn't it debut competing against the T4i at a higher price point and with a weaker focus system? Not that any of that matters now as it can be had for a good price.

And frankly I'm the last guy who can talk about adding to his kit as I just "bounced" camera + lens off ceramic tile from 6 feet off the ground over the 4th. Let me at least see how bad the repair bill is first. :-[

Upvote 0