Canon Announcements Coming August 14, 2015

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
Tugela said:
That is the IBM/Xerox way of thinking. Where are those companies today? They are shadows of their former glory because they failed to embrace the direction technology was going.
I knew IBM where flying high, but not sure exactly how, so I found this on Wiki, seems their doing very well.
Quoted from Wikipedia - 2012 rankingIn 2012
Fortune ranked IBM the No. 2 largest U.S. firm in terms of number of employees,[7] the No. 4 largest in terms of market capitalization,[8] the No. 9 most profitable,[9] and the No. 19 largest firm in terms of revenue.[10] Globally, the company was ranked the No. 31 largest firm in terms of revenue by Forbes for 2011.[11] Other rankings for 2011/2012 include the following:[13]
No. 1 company for leaders (Fortune)
No. 2 green company in the U.S. (Newsweek)[48]
No. 2 best global brand (Interbrand)
No. 2 most respected company (Barron's)[49]
No. 5 most admired company (Fortune)
No. 18 most innovative company (Fast Company)
For 2012, IBM's brand was valued by Interbrand at $75.5 billion.[50]
For 2012, Vault ranked IBM Global Technology Services No. 1 in tech consulting for cyber security, operations and implementation, and public sector; and No. 2 in outsourcing.[51]

But I digress 8)

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
If Canon/Nikon/Sony went out of business, it wouldn't stop me from using a camera I'd bought from either of them. What really matters to me is whether or not the camera does what it is intended to. There will still be third party suppliers to sell whatever I needed from lenses, batteries, chargers etc. ... There would also be third parties to provide services like training, maintenance, repairs and troubleshooting. If there is a need, the market will find a way.

Upvote 0
StudentOfLight said:
If Canon/Nikon/Sony went out of business, it wouldn't stop me from using a camera I'd bought from either of them. What really matters to me is whether or not the camera does what it is intended to. There will still be third party suppliers to sell whatever I needed from lenses, batteries, chargers etc. ... There would also be third parties to provide services like training, maintenance, repairs and troubleshooting. If there is a need, the market will find a way.

I agree with your sentiments, however if some of the large photography manufacturers went under, unless they made some catastrophic investment, then market erosion would be the cause. In turn that would impact 3rd parties and whereas some would indeed survive, you wouldn't be buying the same quality at the same price - it would be significantly inflated due to economics.

Canon's L lenses are a great investment, and are built to last. I still have a 10D which is coming up for 12 years old and it still works fine. I'm sure current bodies are not made to quite the same standard, but still I agree they should last for at least 7 years, and the lenses easily more than a decade. With the current standard of quality, unless a step-change is discovered/developed, then whatever equipment you use today will still be taking amazing pictures in the future, comparable to any other equipment. I look at some of the 10D images still, and sure the quality is eclipsed by what I use today, but it's the imagery which survives - not what created it....

Upvote 0
Stewart K said:
Tugela said:
That is the IBM/Xerox way of thinking. Where are those companies today? They are shadows of their former glory because they failed to embrace the direction technology was going.
I knew IBM where flying high, but not sure exactly how, so I found this on Wiki, seems their doing very well.
Fortune ranked IBM the No. 2 largest U.S. firm in terms of number of employees,[7] the No. 4 largest in terms of market capitalization,[8] the No. 9 most profitable,[9] and the No. 19 largest firm in terms of revenue.[10] Globally, the company was ranked the No. 31 largest firm in terms of revenue by Forbes for 2011.[11] Other rankings for 2011/2012 include the following:[13]
For 2012, Vault ranked IBM Global Technology Services No. 1 in tech consulting for cyber security, operations and implementation, and public sector; and No. 2 in outsourcing.[51]

But I digress 8)

People seem to think IBM has gone out of business because they were smart enough to get out of the unprofitable PC business. This wasn't the first person on here to make the same analogy.

Upvote 0
LonelyBoy said:
Stewart K said:
Tugela said:

But I digress 8)

People seem to think IBM has gone out of business because they were smart enough to get out of the unprofitable PC business. This wasn't the first person on here to make the same analogy.

...., and IBM is the leader in receiving patents: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/45793.wss

Canon is on rank 3.

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
Proscribo said:
veng said:
So we're just a couple of days away, but no more news. Hopefully we'll hear something soon and this wasn't all just FUD.
Indeed... :eek:
LOL ;D , 47 users active in the last 180 minutes, what volume of traffic do you predict on the 14th once the announcement is made :eek:

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Stu_bert said:
Apple is making a profit, the Android manufacturers are all struggling

Look at how Apple is achieving it. Very few models available (at high prices - high-end models only), careful design, good support and lifetime (for being a smartphone), also good value if resold, in-house developed OS and main apps, excellent marketing and PR - they set the fashion, don't follow it.
While most Android manufactures churns out as many models as they can, and most models are desupported before you exit the shop or the order is delivered to you. They rely all on 3rd party Google OS, which doesn't care much about it as long as it is good enough to keep on funneling user data to Google.

Canon high-end models follow the same Apple path, the problem is the bottom line where they follow an Android-like business model, which probably no longer makes sense.

Upvote 0
LDS said:
Look at how Apple is achieving it. Very few models available (at high prices - high-end models only), careful design, good support and lifetime (for being a smartphone), also good value if resold, in-house developed OS and main apps, excellent marketing and PR - they set the fashion, don't follow it.

As you say, Apple/iOS is for people who care about fashion. Smart people don't use Apple/iOS.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
racebit said:
LDS said:

As you say, Apple/iOS is for people who care about fashion. Smart people don't use Apple/iOS.

Settling Apple vs. Android is (a) never going to happen and (b) not the point of this thread.

Let's get back on message, everyone. Thank you!

- A

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
LDS said:
Stu_bert said:
Apple is making a profit, the Android manufacturers are all struggling

While most Android manufactures churns out as many models as they can, and most models are desupported before you exit the shop or the order is delivered to you. They rely all on 3rd party Google OS, which doesn't care much about it as long as it is good enough to keep on funneling user data to Google.

Canon high-end models follow the same Apple path, the problem is the bottom line where they follow an Android-like business model, which probably no longer makes sense.

Canon is not like Apple. Apple actually has a small market share compared to Android phones while Canon is the camera market share leader. Canon is also lower priced than the competition which is why they sell so many, while Apple is high priced.

I really see nothing in common.

As for resale value, Apple comes out with a new model every year, and last years model takes a big drop in price and resale value. What is a 4 year old iphone 4s worth on the used market? $100 maybe

Upvote 0
zim said:
Any chance of getting CR to be an analogy free zone ;D

.... meanwhile 13th, looks like this one is a damp squib :-\

I don't recall the last time Canon made a Friday announcement - I thought they preferred Tuesday & Thursday unless there's a weekend show....

Late Aug is typical for Canon, so my best guess would be Tue 18th or 25th... ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Im not so sure they are going to annouce a high end camera or a lower end they released the 750D and 760D plus the 5DS and 5DSr but nothing in 2015 in the enthusiast section the 7D MKII was twelve months ago so its time for the 6D MKII. The 6D was November 2012 and the 70D July 2013 but everyone is saying the 1D X or the 5D MKIII replacement.
If Sony are making inroads the A7 II and the A7S are in the price band that the Canon 6D sits in with the A7R MKII at the 5D MKIII price point. Likewise the Nikon D610 and the D750 are in the 6D sweet spot whereas the D810 is at the 5D MKIII price point.
I think they will save the 1D X replacement which could combine the 1D C to just before NAB in 2016. But hey who knows its definately got us all speculating.

Upvote 0
racebit said:
LDS said:

I 100% prefer Android, but I'd suggest that's a slightly unwise generalisation.

Upvote 0