Canon announces an upcoming firmware update for the PowerShot G7 X Mark III

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I bought the biggest point-and-shoot I could find that would fit in my shirt pocket AND had a viewfinder...and that wasn't a Canon since Canon puts a big bump on top for the viewfinder. (I would have, if not for that. I'm fairly loyal, but if they don't fit my use case...)

Edit--Never mind...I just saw that the viewfinders are popups. So I don't remember what I was thinking unless the size even as a "box" was too much for my pocket--or I shied away at the price.
If the G5X II still had the viewfinder bump, I would have bought the G7X III instead. I had an S95 and then an S120. If I took my phone out of my shirt pocket, I could fit the S120 in there. The G7X II would not fit in the shirt pocket, but does fine in pants pockets or jacket pockets even easier. The G5X II is very slightly larger. It still fits in pants pockets, and I haven't had a jacket on during these 90º+ days. I hadn't really noticed the size difference until I was asked to post pictures of the 5 and the 7 together in a different thread here.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
For those suggesting that releasing a product with underperforming auto-focus, just to be able to fix it after 30 days later as some sort of sales strategy, I'm not convinced you really understand how business works at the global level.

One of the recurring themes by many on this forum is that Canon keeps resting on its laurels / reputation - I don't subscribe to that personally, as I'm in the camp of "making art is the result of a whole system, and photographer, and subject" , rather than it all depending on a fraction extra DR in the sensor, but still.... However, Canon does have a formidable and hard-won reputation, and that reputation will be a key part to survival in a market place that is currently heading south. To suggest that they would intentionally risk destroying that reputation is not sensible.

A mistake, something missed in QC, etc? .....well, no-one is perfect..... but to do it intentionally, when experienced business people (as well as most others) know a reputation is hard won and easily lost? It is just not something you do as part of a 'strategy'.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019
If the G5X II still had the viewfinder bump, I would have bought the G7X III instead. I had an S95 and then an S120. If I took my phone out of my shirt pocket, I could fit the S120 in there. The G7X II would not fit in the shirt pocket, but does fine in pants pockets or jacket pockets even easier. The G5X II is very slightly larger. It still fits in pants pockets, and I haven't had a jacket on during these 90º+ days. I hadn't really noticed the size difference until I was asked to post pictures of the 5 and the 7 together in a different thread here.

I am in the same camp.

The only reason I would consider a G5 is *because* is can fit in a pocket while offering premium still photograph quality.

I have a G7-II; and I find it barely tolerable in terms of "Pockitability". It was a bit of a shock coming from a S120; but I have been really pleased with the G7-II photos.

Now, the G5-II is beginning to push the "Cost not to exceed" cap. . . .but that is a different issue. I really am tempted by the expanded zoom range on the camera (the Sony RX100 VII is defintatly over the Cap)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I have a G7-II; and I find it barely tolerable in terms of "Pockitability". It was a bit of a shock coming from a S120; but I have been really pleased with the G7-II photos.

Now, the G5-II is beginning to push the "Cost not to exceed" cap. . . .but that is a different issue. I really am tempted by the expanded zoom range on the camera (the Sony RX100 VII is defintatly over the Cap)
I may have mentioned earlier that when I left on a long trip soon after getting the G7X2, I took the S120 along also, partly as a backup and partly in case I found the larger size unhandy. I decided to get the 5 this time because of the new features of the 7-III were of no interest to me, and the 5-II has a slightly longer and slightly better lens. As for money, it came down to a matter that if I'm already spending that much, another $200 is no big deal for something I will almost surely use for 3 or 4 years, maybe more. The best economic argument would have been for me to buy neither camera, since I was happy with the 7-II, and don't shoot enough video for 4K to matter.

I had looked at the Sony before these cameras came out. The slower lens was the main reason I didn't consider it, based on my travel experiences. Zooming to 200mm equivalent wouldn't make up for the loss of a stop or more in speed, given what I shoot when traveling. So it never even got to the point of my considering the price. I do have about a $1,000 limit in my head where I reach a level of sales resistance.

Upvote 0
So the autofocus could have been better all along but it wasn’t until people complained and then Canon improves it?? I’m a canon user but that’s messed up. Did they hope no one would notice that their “upgrade” has worse AF than its predecessor? Just wow Canon, seems like your recent executives are plain bonkers.

Upvote 0

CANNOT

Why, hello there
Mar 13, 2019
Well, luckily there's tons of YT videos complaining about the C-AF and returning their cameras left and right.
They have now even announced they will add 24p to select cameras that have come without the option (where the Canon cripple hammer struck).
Guess they're slowly starting to realize they aren't fooling anyone anymore with their strategies.
Everbody is bringing their A game. It's time for Canon to stop holding back and follow along with giving their cameras their best effort if they want to survive in a day and age where everyone else is doing IBIS, putting focus on hybrid capabilities with good video modes, etc.
Canon and Nikon might've been the household names for decades... but if they're not careful Panasonic, Sony, Fujifilm and Olympus will dominate and they're too far back to make ammends. Nikon isn't even doing that bad with their Z series (although the APS-C Z50 is disappointing, with it's tilt-down screen and no IBIS). They gotta keep bringing it. I hope they realize this.

Upvote 0