Canon announces an upcoming firmware update for the PowerShot G7 X Mark III

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has announced a firmware upgrade for the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III after concerns from owners over autofocus performance.
From Canon:
In response to feedback from customers about the recently launched PowerShot G7 X Mark III, Canon U.S.A. plans to issue a firmware update that can help improve video autofocus speed, accuracy and subject detection performance.
This update will be free for all customers to download from the Canon U.S.A. website at the end of October 2019.
Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III at Adorama

Continue reading...

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
This sounds very calculated. They wanted to sell loads of the M6 II. It worked. I returned the G7X3 and pre-ordered the M6 II. By the time I see the updated firmware reviews on YouTube, the 30 day return window will have passed on the M6 II. Maybe I'll buy both. These guys know what they're doing.
Now you're catching on to the marketing strategy.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Maybe they'll do a firmware upgrade for the G5X II also. My results shooting video last week gave mixed results on the autofocus, but generally not as fast as my G7X II. Considering I was in the end zone shooting mostly toward the other end of the field, and it was bright and sunny, I could have just manually focused on something far away, and it would have done fine. That's what I'd probably do when not in learning/testing mode.

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2019
USA
This sounds very calculated. They wanted to sell loads of the M6 II. It worked. I returned the G7X3 and pre-ordered the M6 II. By the time I see the updated firmware reviews on YouTube, the 30 day return window will have passed on the M6 II. Maybe I'll buy both. These guys know what they're doing.

That would be the most idiotic strategy if true. Like the EOS R has improved significantly through firmware. But if a new person was to search for EOS R reviews, they would get all the old reviews covering problems that have since been removed as problems through firmware.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019
Yes. Not a great strategy..

Either
A) There was a relatively easy to find and easy to fix problem that they didn't find prior to release

or

B) The AF was meant to be that way, but Canon didn't expect everyone to keep comparing this $750 camera unfavorably to a $1200 Sony 1" camera - and the sales are hurting as a result - so they decided to change it.

Neither choice is encouraging.

PS: I am hoping they can make simple improvents to the G5 as well, but my understanding is that the G5 AF performance is already superior to the G7. Hmmmm.

Upvote 0
Yes. Not a great strategy..

Either
A) There was a relatively easy to find and easy to fix problem that they didn't find prior to release

or

B) The AF was meant to be that way, but Canon didn't expect everyone to keep comparing this $750 camera unfavorably to a $1200 Sony 1" camera - and the sales are hurting as a result - so they decided to change it.

Neither choice is encouraging.

PS: I am hoping they can make simple improvents to the G5 as well, but my understanding is that the G5 AF performance is already superior to the G7. Hmmmm.
You forgot a third option: They knowingly released a camera with an incredibly faulty autofocus (when considering the clear potential). Why? I don’t know. But this was never about the Mk III being compared to the Sony. It was about the autofocus sucking really, really badly. I owned one for 13 days before returning it. I don’t vlog and even being behind the camera with the ability to tap for focus continuously it still sucked.

It’s pretty messed up to realize Canon intentionally put a faulty camera on the shelves. There is no way they were not aware before release.

Cheers

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
The one thing I don't get: Does the G7-II have worse AF than the G7-II?

I have the G7-II. The AF on the camera isn't all that bad. I don't use it like a 7D-II; I don't photograph charging rhinos, but I do use the camera regularly for "happy shots". It seems ok
I have taken thousands of shots with the G7X II. I have never had a problem with the autofocus. It has always seemed very snappy and accurate. I have not shot a lot of video with it, but have noticed no problems. I recently bought the G5X Mark II. I shot some video at a football game recently to get acquainted with the camera and settings. It was sometimes sluggish in refocusing from near to far, but not always. I haven’t shot a lot of stills with it. But so far haven’t noticed a delay in focusing.

One peculiarity is that you can’t shoot 4K video in some autofocus modes. That could be true of the G7X III as well. I was just testing and learning with the football video. If I were shooting it for real with that camera, I’d use manual focus and focus near the middle of the action and let the depth of field take care of it. The real focal length of the lens even zoomed in is short enough to keep all distant objects in focus, especially in bright light.

Upvote 0

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019
Except that several youtube people appear to have turned right around and bought Sony...

"bought"

--------------------------------------

I am amazed about all the angst over 24p video in the two canons and lack of a mic input on the G5 - - -> and the complete glossing over the rather non-trivial price difference between the Canon and Sony offerings

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I still think it's absolute bonkers that people are spending $1200 on a 1-inch sensor camera when you can buy an M50 kit, 22mm f/2 and 11-22 for the same price and have a much better camera. I understand the value of a small, pocketable camera like this....but not for over $1,000! But that's just me. There's a camera for everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I still think it's absolute bonkers that people are spending $1200 on a 1-inch sensor camera when you can buy an M50 kit, 22mm f/2 and 11-22 for the same price and have a much better camera. I understand the value of a small, pocketable camera like this....but not for over $1,000! But that's just me. There's a camera for everyone.

I bought into the RX100 hype (mark IV). Big mistake. It cost so much and I was expecting a lot due to the glowing reviews. But the EVR was awful. The pictures weren't anything special to mention. The raw images might as well have been JPEGs because you couldn't push them much. the reason I got it was I wanted a camera I could take into concerts. Places that my "pro" cameras weren't allowed.

Upvote 0

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019

. . . and the next post captures why in a nutshell. The 1" cameras can often go where the ILC's cannot. Be it a concert or a pocket.

. . . but $1200 is simply . . . not right for P&S. In fact; I am thinking $750 for the G7-III is a bit steep for what it is.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
"bought"

--------------------------------------

I am amazed about all the angst over 24p video in the two canons and lack of a mic input on the G5 - - -> and the complete glossing over the rather non-trivial price difference between the Canon and Sony offerings
Well the price only makes a difference if you are actually going to buy something.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I bought the biggest point-and-shoot I could find that would fit in my shirt pocket AND had a viewfinder...and that wasn't a Canon since Canon puts a big bump on top for the viewfinder. (I would have, if not for that. I'm fairly loyal, but if they don't fit my use case...)

Edit--Never mind...I just saw that the viewfinders are popups. So I don't remember what I was thinking unless the size even as a "box" was too much for my pocket--or I shied away at the price.

Upvote 0